Networking & Wireless

General discussion

strong wireless connection but no internet access?

by ITnewb / August 16, 2005 3:35 PM PDT

I am not sure exactly what would be the problem here. I can connect to an open wireless network, with a perfect signal and no encryption of any type. However, when I try to access the internet, using either firefox or IE, It acts as if there is no connection.

This makes no sense to me. Why, with a perfect connection, do I not have internet access? Is there anything that could be happening on my end to cause this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strong wireless connection but no internet access?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strong wireless connection but no internet access?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may not have permission to use it
by Melati Hitam / August 16, 2005 5:57 PM PDT

Ask the owner of the Wireless Access point.

They may use Mac address filtering...

Collapse -
I thought...
by ITnewb / August 17, 2005 5:45 AM PDT

that would mean that i could not connect at all?

Collapse -
Nope...
by Dick White / August 17, 2005 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I thought...

Despite what ordinary day-to-day logical thinking by us mere mortals might suggest, the idea of a connection vs. passing data through that connection are 2 separate events. The wireless devices will announce a connection whenever two of them discover each other somewhere up there in the air. If the security settings on both ends are the same (e.g., none, as so many fools are set; or encryption where both parties know the password; or MAC filtering, where the serial number of the client adapter is on a "pre-approved" list of authorized users) the two devices will begin to communicate and pass data. But otherwise, if the client can't demonstrate to the access point that it has acceptable credentials, the access point will sit there unresponsive.

dw

Collapse -
You learn something new every day.
by ITnewb / August 17, 2005 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope...

I will have to talk to the network admin and see if that is the problem. I suspect that it is not, since the network is supposedly "open" but that is a starting place. Would there be anything else that might create a similar problem?

Collapse -
I have seen...
by Dick White / August 17, 2005 12:25 PM PDT

issues where the wireless adapter driver was installed incorrectly (bad file copy, munged registry entry, not necessarily anything you did wrong...) which were resolved by deleting the adapter in device manager with a reboot for XP to redetect it and reinstall the driver. All of sudden it worked the way it should. Have you tried this system at another location and it worked there but not here? And yes, continue your conversation with the network tech guys. Often if you show a sincere interest in learning yourself how this stuff works, they'll spend a little extra time and show you more about it rather than just clicking the right stuff they know about and giving it back to you with the "Here, idiot, it works now" attitude.

dw

Collapse -
yep, MAC filtering was it.
by ITnewb / August 18, 2005 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I have seen...

so thats fixed the problem. thanks for the help.

Collapse -
no internet access
by simbij / May 11, 2011 7:30 PM PDT

hey i have a problem with windows 7, i can't connect to internet at my place, we just bought a broadband router i connect to my wireless but then it says no internet access with that stupid exclamation sign on my wireless, can anyone please help me? i'm getting depressed over this, please reply to my email, simbi80@yahoo.fr i would really be grateful.

Collapse -
Re: stupid exclamation sign
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: no internet access

You connect to your wireless: how?
It says no internet access: what exactly is "it" and what exactly is the message?
Where's that exclamation sign exactly?

And, no, we don't communicate via mail. But now you've been so friendly to publish it here, be assured the usual spam bots will pick it up, so you might receive a lot of spam in the future.

Kees

Collapse -
by simbij / May 11, 2011 10:10 PM PDT

so we recently bought a broadband router and when i connect to the name of wireless it requires me a password, after filling it, there is near the clock a sign that it is connected, but on that connection sign there is again that exclamation sign saying no internet access. it is clear that the network is connected cause it even gives me the option of saying if it is home, public or work, but then after that it says no internet connection!

Collapse -
What does ipconfig tell you?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Note: run it from the command prompt.

Kees

Collapse -
strong wireless connection but no internet access?
by puppa / August 17, 2005 8:29 AM PDT

I have had the exact same problem and I assumed it was the MAC address thing. My wireless manager says that there is no IP assigned which I think is the MAC addres thing.

Collapse -
puppa...
by Dick White / August 17, 2005 10:25 AM PDT

The MAC address is a unique serial number assigned to every network adapter of any type by its manufacturer. The IP address is the "street address" on the internet information highway that your connection must have in order for data packets to be delivered to the proper recipient under the rules of TCP/IP networking protocols.

MAC address filtering is when the owner of a wireless access point sets up a list of the MAC numbers of wireless adapters that will be authorized to use the services of that access point. If the MAC number of your wireless card is not on the list, that access point simply won't do any business with you.

Assignment of an IP address is something which a DHCP server will do whenever a system enters a TCP/IP network. Your ISP issues one to your cable modem when you turn it on. Your router will issue one to your computer when it boots. But if the router is a secured wireless one, an unauthorized intruder will not be given an IP address and no data will be passed. The intruder will get that "no IP address assigned" message in their wireless client manager dialog.

dw

Collapse -
Wireless Internet with Mac's Airport
by oneCNETuser / June 19, 2007 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: puppa...

Hi, I know that this post may not be totally related to the topic. But I hava a MacBook Pro and at home I can connect to my wireless network I setup which doesn't require a password and the internet speed is exceptionally quick. But for my work's wireless network, it's a password protected wireless network and my question is why the internet speed is noticeably slower when both use ADSL internet?

Collapse -
Two possible reasons...
by Techinmydna / June 29, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

Network traffice being the most likely, but there is also possibility that it is due to the type of encryption that is being used. For instance the 128 bit WEP encryption is known to sacrifice speed.

Collapse -
Can't connect to wireless network
by kayrakaye / September 24, 2008 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: puppa...

I get a message to contact the person who manages my network...what does that mean? "...if the router is a secured wireless one (which it is), an unauthorized intruder will not be given an IP address and no data will be passed. The intruder will get that "no IP address assigned" message in their wireless client manager dialog." So what can I do?

Wireless network shows strong connection. "Not connected...Security - enabled wireless network...This network requires a network key (which I have). You are currently connected to this network."

Installed D-Link Wireless G USB 2.0 Adapter on Dell Dimension 4600C. The D-Link software included free CA Anti Virus and Anti Spyware. I had McAfee installed on it - last update was 4/2/07.

This desktop computer hasn't been online for almost 2 years. My laptop connects with no problem.

I get a message to contact the person who manages my network...what does that mean? "...if the router is a secured wireless one, an unauthorized intruder will not be given an IP address and no data will be passed. The intruder will get that "no IP address assigned" message in their wireless client manager dialog." So what can I do?

Collapse -
Mac Address Filtering
by kayrakaye / September 24, 2008 2:27 AM PDT

Okay, good info on this discussion. Very likely my situation.
So, how do I add a MAC number for my wireless card to the list?

Collapse -
Remember that MAC filtering is not secure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2008 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac Address Filtering

It adds no security today. This is why we don't use that.

Collapse -
Mac Address Filtering-Can't Connect to the Internet
by kayrakaye / September 24, 2008 1:00 PM PDT

Okay, I found out that the router doesn?t have MAC address filtering turned on. I think I'll try removing the security software and see if that let's me connect.

Dell Dimension 4600 C
Windows XP
McAfee Security: Virus Scan, Firewall, Security Center (V 7.2 last update 3/22/07)
D-Link Wireless Adaptor

Collapse -
Be exact here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2008 2:31 AM PDT

There is an issue with WEP which some might call "secured wireless" in that even the MAC can be spoofed, the WEP key busted in 60 seconds. Your post didn't give the exact settings so I'll leave you with this.

Try it like we ask in this forum's sticky. For brevity that is, stock settings, SSID Broadcasting and WPA.

Bob

Collapse -
Delete the wireless card and reinstall worked to solve probl
by warnermendenhall / March 31, 2011 11:33 PM PDT

I deleted the wireless card on my laptop, then rebooted and reinstalled the wireless card and voila, I was back on the net.

Collapse -
bridge connect
by koyakei / November 9, 2011 12:34 PM PST

control panel
network and internet
network connections

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.