Samsung

Rant

Stroboscopic flickering on Samsung LCD TV

by vazaraq / May 10, 2011 4:52 PM PDT

About a week ago my, almost a year-old, Samsung LN46C650 started flickering like a flashing strobe causing serious headaches after just a minute or so.

I called the customer support and was told it was most likely issue with the cable company as the flickering was occurring only on the HD channels. "OK" - I told myself - " let's wait and see"

Fast-forward a few days and the issue is getting worse - now I have HDMI flickering as well (along with the Diagnostic Picture mode).

I called the customer support once more and this time was told that I can solve it by switching to Movie mode (from the Standard) and lowering the brightness of the TV to 7 (from 9). That the issue would auto-magically fix itself after 2-3 weeks and everything would be dandy.

The Movie mode works, but the picture is quite dull - all other modes (Dynamic, Standard, Natural) flicker as hell.

Well, excuse me Samsung, but I didn't pay $1k for a TV to be forced into using the TV in a dull Movie mode with lowered brightness. Especially during the day when it's quite bright in the room.

So - keep on pressing Samsung into actually admitting there's an issue? Especially considering the fact that the warranty expires in 2 weeks.

If someone's interested - here's a short video of the issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRgAVBNx_j4

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stroboscopic flickering on Samsung LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stroboscopic flickering on Samsung LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
backlight
by barryware / May 11, 2011 3:43 AM PDT

that is your back-light bulb(s) flickering. They are florescent bulb(s) (CFL's). It could also be the inverter.. I call it the ballast.

Either way, it will not get any better and get it fixed before you are out of warranty.

Collapse -
Stroboscopic flickering on Samsung LCD TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 11, 2011 6:53 AM PDT

vazaraq,

Collapse -
Used online Service Requesform - We'll see what happens next
by vazaraq / May 11, 2011 8:28 AM PDT

I already did the warranty extension (so I have theoretically 3 more months, though I'm uncertain if the warranty is the same as the original one)

The transaction number (from yesterday's call) is 2013435022 (that's the one where the CS suggested the Movie mode and waiting 2-3 weeks for the issue to "fix" itself (yeah, right).

I don't have the transaction number from my call last week, but can provide date and time of the call (if needed). That's the call where the CS put the blame on the cable company (which turned out to be false).

Just finished the online Service Request form and we'll see how it goes from there.

Thank you for your help!

Collapse -
Used online Service Requesform - We'll see what happens nex
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 11, 2011 10:22 AM PDT

vazaraq,

Collapse -
TV Fixed
by vazaraq / May 23, 2011 4:11 AM PDT

Very nice (and proficient) technician came last week, replaced one of the boards in the TV and voil

Collapse -
TV Fixed
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 23, 2011 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Fixed

vazaraq,

Collapse -
Stroboscopic flickering
by bushi300 / July 4, 2011 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Fixed

Hey HD Tech,

I have the exact conditionas vazaraq had. The video clip could just as well be my tv!

Sent in a repair request moments ago.

Can you escalate it with the transaction number when i receive one?

thx

Collapse -
same flickering problem
by katiedobuchu1 / July 12, 2011 1:08 PM PDT

Hi,
I have the exact same problem as vazaraq with same model tv but i can not get extended warrenty on line by registering the tv. I purchased mine 5-22-2010.
Is there anyway i could still get extended warrenty? these 46C650 models all seems to have same problem. Can you help please?

thanks.

Collapse -
same flickering problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2011 3:54 AM PDT

katiedobuchu1,

Collapse -
Same Issue with my C650.. need some help
by tony-ingram / August 15, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

I have the same issue as everyone else here.. i used the chat support to get the additional 3 months warranty b ut when I submit thew service request my tv still shows as out of warranty and if i continue through the service request i get to the point where I select the service center and the page hangs with the message "now processing, data processing, please wait"

Collapse -
got extended 3 month warranty
by katiedobuchu1 / July 15, 2011 2:00 PM PDT

Hi Samsung Tech,

I took my chancse and registered my TV and got 3 more month warranty even though my tv is more than a year old. I took your advice to other customers and the power supply is being ordered.
Thank you so much! I can not wait until my TV is fixed!

Thanks again.

Collapse -
got extended 3 month warranty
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 18, 2011 5:33 AM PDT

katiedobuchu1,

Collapse -
Will you please escalate mine too?
by ClaireCaldwell / January 20, 2012 11:56 AM PST

I submitted a service request 4113610919. I have been experiencing the exact same stroboscopic flickering as all of the other forum users have with my Samsung LCD TV. Thank you so much! I purchased my TV in May 2010 but given the repetitive flickering problem, I'm hoping Samsung will take care of it.

Thanks!!!!!

Collapse -
Can you escalate mine as well...
by marcitz / July 4, 2011 2:26 PM PDT

I have submitted it and also faxed in my request for an extension but for some reason couldn't get the ticket associated with my online Samsung account so i couldn't electronically send them the proof of purchase.

I have the same issue and would love to know what the problem is. Mine died 1 month outside of warranty (althought the problem had started about 2 months before the warranty had expired)

My ticket is:

THANKS! I have the same model and the same problem. Does anyone know what the true root cause is?

Collapse -
Can you escalate mine as well...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 5, 2011 6:22 AM PDT

marcitz,

Collapse -
They've contacted me...
by marcitz / July 5, 2011 10:45 AM PDT

Thanks for your offer to help. I heard from a tech today who is ordering a new power supply. I hope that is actually the issue. If anyone knows i that is the issue or if something else is the root cause of this please let me know.

THANKS!

Collapse -
They've contacted me...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 7, 2011 6:11 AM PDT

marcitz,

Collapse -
transaction number
by bushi300 / July 5, 2011 10:44 PM PDT

HDTech ...here ya go - 4008439522

thx!

Collapse -
transaction number
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 7, 2011 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: transaction number

bushi300,

Collapse -
stroboscopic flickeringon samsung 55 lcd tv
by evixiris / July 14, 2011 2:10 PM PDT

I bought the tv on 6/15/2010 and recently It's starting to do this exact same thing. It's sad that the tv just fell short of the warranty before failing. Is there anything that can be done?

Collapse -
Same advice as here:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2011 3:55 AM PDT

Same advice as here:

Collapse -
46" Samsung LCD TV Flickering problem
by TheFees / December 18, 2011 2:29 AM PST

I have a 46" Samsung LCDTV Model Number LN46C670M1F and was purchased in May 2010 and it has that flickering problem. I tried joining the site as you mentioned, but I keep getting a serial number is not accurate error message, and I have checked both the model number and serial number three times and they are correct. Anyhow I recently called 800 Samsung and they gave me a ticket number as follows: 211 0512488 Can you escalate this?
I also have purchased a 55" LCD TV Samsung and that one is currently working fine, but I bought both Samsungs at the same time. I see in the Amazon reviews they are having problems with that one too. What can I do? Can you help me with the 46. I have raved about the Samsung lines as being the best for a long time. Referred my friends to them. My neighbor is having the exact same problem. Can a tech do both of them at the same time. He has the exact same TV because I raved about mine so much. I also told my best friend to buy them as well, so he bought two 46's the same TV and one 32. Does replacing the capacitors result in a long term fix? Is the replacement board the same old board and provide only a year and a half of service?
Your help is greatly appreciated. I am a firm believer in it is not whether people ever make mistakes, because we are all human, it is what we do about them that really matters. I have both of my fingers crossed that you can work some magic.
Thank you.

Collapse -
46" Samsung LCD TV Flickering problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 19, 2011 2:33 AM PST

TheFees,

Collapse -
can you escalate mine also please.....
by katiedobuchu1 / July 12, 2011 2:12 PM PDT

hi, i have 3-month standard warranty per Samsung.

Here is my ticket No. 4008467080.

Thank you very much in advance!

Collapse -
same issue
by sherrie2011 / July 21, 2011 3:05 PM PDT

Samsung Tech--I have been having this problem on and off for the past few months. I finally used the samsung online tech support tonight and was told that my warrenty is up and that i would need to contact a service provider. Since this is a well known problem/defect is there anyway that you can help me? I bought my tv from Amazon and it was delivered to me on 5/13/10. I also tried to register my TV and the samsung site would not allow me to.

Collapse -
(NT) not anonymous...sherrie2011
by sherrie2011 / July 21, 2011 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: same issue
Collapse -
This forum software does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2011 3:26 PM PDT

It catches up later. But try to register it again since you may get 3 more months of warranty.

Collapse -
..sherrie2011
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2011 1:58 PM PDT

sherrie2011,

Collapse -
Same flickering issue
by eflechsig / September 18, 2011 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: ..sherrie2011

Good evening HDTech,

Collapse -
Samsung 55" Flicker Issue Resolution
by Jules467 / May 1, 2012 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Same flickering issue

We just started having the same flicker issue on our Samsung 55" that many people here, and on other sites, have discussed. We initially contacted Samsung but they were 100% unwilling to assist us because our tv was purchased 14 months ago. They were not at all fazed by the fact that a $1200.00, one year old, tv was not working properly. We asked for a call back from a customer service manager and, of course, that call never came.

After waiting 24 hours for a return call we contacted our local Best Buy (where we purchased the tv), not expecting much help given their reputation for poor service. They too were unwilling to help until my husband advised them that I was a litigation paralegal for a consumer fraud law firm and was aware of Samsung's recent settlement of a class action lawsuit involving 2008-era tvs. He was quickly transferred to national rep with whom we discussed "prior bad acts" "failure to recall a defective product" and "pattern of fraudulent business practices"....a repairman is scheduled for tomorrow.

Too bad you have to go to such lengths for good service, but I will NEVER buy another Samsung product. Clearly they manufacture subpar products and do not stand by their own promise of delivering excellence....And THANK YOU to Best Buy for your assistance. Greatly appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.