Samsung forum

Rant

Strobelight Flickering on my Samsung LCD TV LN46C650

by sherrie2011 / July 22, 2011 2:08 AM PDT

A few months ago my almost year old Samsung LN46C650 started flickering like a strobe light. Sometimes it will stop when I turn the TV off and then back on. Last night the flickering started when I turned it on and then continued through out the night. It mostly flickers when it has been on for awhile. I started to research what the problem might be and found this forum. I tried to register my TV which is now over a year old, was bought from Amazon and delivered on 5/13/10, about 7 times and nothing happens. I used the online tech support last night and the rep said that I would need to call a service provider. I just talked to customer service and was told that it's too late to register my TV because it is over a year, even though it would be covered by the extended 3 months. Is there anything that I can do? She also said that this is not a known problem with this model of TV. My transaction # 2108167500. I always though that Samsung was a good brand...guess I was wrong :(...very disappointed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strobelight Flickering on my Samsung LCD TV LN46C650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strobelight Flickering on my Samsung LCD TV LN46C650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strobelight Flickering on my Samsung LCD TV LN46C650 -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2011 6:56 AM PDT

sherrie2011,

Collapse -
Same type of backlight "strobe" flicker on LN46C630
by LN46_owner / October 11, 2011 11:03 AM PDT

My unit is slightly over a year old, and I was told today that my TV is out of warranty, and nothing can be done by Samsung and that I would have to pay a third party repair tech to come out and look at it and then pay all repair costs.
Is this true? If so, is there a part that I can order so that I can replace it - like a backlight inverter or a power board? My ticket number is 4112570492. It seems like this is a common problem. Can I extend my warranty?

Collapse -
by laflamme914 / October 12, 2011 2:39 AM PDT

Call Samsung back. Tell them you want your ticket escalated and refer to this forum. Tell them you know it's a known problem and you want the extended warrantee. My TV was 15 months old, they gave me the extended warrantee and I'm getting it fixed this Friday. The local service center knew about the problem and already ordered the new part, (power supply I believe) without even looking at my TV.

Collapse -
by laflamme914 / October 16, 2011 1:36 AM PDT

Done. The tech arrived on time and was at my house for 20 minutes. Replaced the power supply. Said it was dwfective transformers causing the problem. Samsung gave me another 3 months warranty (will be a total of 18 months). Thank you Samsung.

Collapse -
same strobe flicker
by JEM10of11 / December 2, 2011 11:50 AM PST

I purchased my LN46C650 7/03/10 and a few months ago it started flickering every once in a while, now it is much more prevalent and happens in tv (hdmi) vcr/dvd (component) and wii (AV2). I did the live chat ticket #<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> 4113101214 and he said I'd have to set up a service call. The link to the service request stated that I am out of warrantee even though I received an email stating that I have the extended 3 month warrantee. I thought that since it's been 5 months out of warrantee the 3 month extension wasn't good enough but I read someone on this thread was out 5 months and still got it fixed under the extended warrantee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
same strobe flicker
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2011 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: same strobe flicker

JEM10of11 -

Collapse -
Thanks for all your help
by JEM10of11 / December 5, 2011 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: same strobe flicker

Thanks to everyone in this forum. I spoke to customer service and mentioned this forum that there were many people who had the same issue and some that went beyond the 3 month period received a one time extension to the warranty to fix this issue. The woman was kind and granted that one time extension, the tech is due here on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. The customer service agent made it a point (3x) to say this is NOT A KNOWN ISSUE. I guess only those of us lucky enough to use a computer and search for this topic know differently.

Collapse -
So many posts -- how is this "not a known issue"
by astroboy1234 / December 6, 2011 12:36 PM PST

I wonder how we make it a "known issue".

Collapse -
Same Strobelight Flickering on my Samsung LCD TV LN46C630-
by JJFISHE / January 1, 2013 5:08 AM PST

HD Tech

We are having the same issue as everyone on this forum. We had a live chat with a Samsung agent and she referred us to the service request website. We filled out the request but are not convinced we are in the clear as the closest repair guy is over 60 miles away and we were never offered the 1 time 3 month warranty extension. Can you please help us to ensure our request is legit and we will receive the same fix as everyone else on this forum? We have an open ticket # and would appreciate any help you may be able to provide.

Thanks!
Jeff

Collapse -
Re: Same Strobelight Flickering on my Samsung LCD TV LN46C63
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2013 10:20 PM PST

Hi Jeff,

Post the transaction number, and I'll gladly look into your situation.

HD Tech

Collapse -
reply to HD Tech
by JJFISHE / January 4, 2013 4:55 AM PST

Hi HD Tech

Thank you fo getting back to me. the Ticket # is 4117499380

I received an email the other day saying our service request had been passed along to a service repair center (AUDIO VIDEO REPAIR CENTER). I just got off the phone with the Repair Center Customer Service and they say they do not see the tv being under warranty, and therefore would have to charge me a lot of money to come out, diagnose the tv and repair it. However, I spoke to a Samsung agent online the other day and have in writing that she saw in the ticket this repair will be covered by Samsung. In speaking with the repair center customer service, she informed me that Samsung would have to send them updated information saying the tv is under warranty and the cost would be covered by Samsung.

Please help!

Thanks
Jeff

Collapse -
Re: reply to HD Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 7, 2013 10:59 AM PST
In reply to: reply to HD Tech

Hi Jeff,

I checked that transaction. I see you're still having issues. So I'm going to email you to see if I can help get this figured out.

HD Tech

Collapse -
LN46C670 flickers
by ansarim786 / July 27, 2013 7:36 AM PDT

Well, it's happening to me now. Flickering won't stop. I guess I am out of warranty as well and the Samsung online chat and website has not helped at all. Very disappointed with Samsung. May never buy another Samsung product ever again. I have had several Sony units over 30 years and most of them are still working. This Samsung broke down a little after the warranty was over. What a shame. Samsung needs to do something about this issue or they will definitely loose this customer for life.

Collapse -
Same problem
by icedancnet / July 22, 2011 6:48 PM PDT

I have the exact same problem. Called Samsung, they didn't know what to do. Warranty expired (TV is just a few weeks over 1 year).

Collapse -
Read the top post one more time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

Try to register the set at samsung.com and you might get 3 more months warranty then you are inside the warranty and have a free repair.

If not, MAKE THAT CALL to Samsung and get the transaction number to add to your post. And the country of course.
Bob

Collapse -
Same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 24, 2011 4:39 PM PDT

icedancnet,

Collapse -
HDTech
by rliu28 / October 21, 2011 12:36 PM PDT

I'm on the same boat, please help. My ticket # 2109649209

Collapse -
HDTech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 28, 2011 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: HDTech

rliu28 -

Collapse -
Thank you HDTech
by skrebs123 / November 26, 2011 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: HDTech

We've also had the same issue as everyone on this board and have called 3 times for solutions, seeing from the web that this is a common problem. Samsung continues to tell us there is no known problem with this model, but I took your advice and filled out the service form on FB. Hopefully we will find some resolution. TR #2108926066.

Collapse -
LN46C630 flickering screen
by manavraina / November 4, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

I have the same problem as you. I called up samsung and told them about the problem and this site. They dont even seem to acknowledge that there is a problem. My TV is out of warranty too. Called up the service center to get an estimate ($360).

Are you kidding me? the TV is not even worth that much one and a half year later. I bought the service manual for the TV. Based on what the Service Tech told me, it seems to be a problem with the power supply and needs a power supply board replacement, which i am willing to take the risk of doing myself. The board is about 100 bucks.
If this works, i will have saved $250, if not, then i guess i am screwed. either way i think its work a shot. Will keep you updated about how it goes.

I always used to say that Samsung was much better and cheaper than SONY. But i guess i was wrong, its not better, only cheaper. Never going with Samsung again.

Collapse -
RE: LN46C630 flickering screen
by astroboy1234 / November 4, 2011 9:45 AM PDT

There is definitely a problem with the power supply boards with these models. Just look at all the posts. And they are all cropping up at the same time -- within about 15 to 18 months of purchase.

Collapse -
Correction...
by astroboy1234 / November 4, 2011 10:12 AM PDT

He was also careful NOT to touch any components on the board itself.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2011 4:17 AM PST

manavraina,

Collapse -
by manavraina / November 7, 2011 7:47 AM PST

Thanks and lot for offering help HDTech. After posting my earlier comments on friday, i decided to give the social networking group a try one last time. First they told me that they could not help me as my system was out of warranty. but when i referred them to the Transaction # 4112735898 posted by eyore455 and talked about the CNET forum. The rep setup a one time free of cost onsite replacement service. Thanks a lot Samsung.

Having said that, i still think that if so many people have already had this problem, there must be something wrong with power supply board. For problems like this, i think Samsung should have an online "do it yourself" troubleshooting support or at least a guide on how to replace parts on your own, just like Dell.

from what astroboy1234 tells me, i don't think the onsite tech did not do anything that astroboy1234 would not have been able to do all by himself.
I'll let you guys know how my experience goes once the tech arrives.
Thanks and Cheers

Collapse -
by manavraina / November 11, 2011 10:21 AM PST

The Tech came in today. I was not at home, but my wife told me that it did not even take more than ten minutes to replace the power supply. I still haven't checked if the TV is working fine. hopefully everything will be fine.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2011 10:44 AM PST

manavraina,

Collapse -
Flickering screen
by eyore455 / November 11, 2011 9:01 PM PST

I'm glad this forum helped you. it sure helped me. I watched when the repairman fixed mine and its exactly like astroboy said. Anybody can do this simple repair if it happens again in the future. Once you pull the back panel off you will see how simple. I googled power board for samsung and they can be purchased online fairly cheap. And if you follow astroboy's directions you too can change it in 10 minutes or less. I wish Samsung sold this board at a reasonable price for the people that can't get samsung warranty extension. Alot of my friends have samsung TV'S and if this happens to them I guess I'll be changeing some power boards. 4112735898.

Collapse -
Flickering screen
by Pspaulding26 / November 7, 2012 11:55 PM PST

HD Tech

I am expiriencing the same issue with my tv like the others on this forum. I have contacted Samsung and they have informed me that they are not aware of this issue and that I will be responsible for paying for the service tech repairs because my warranty has expired I am interested to see if you can investigate my service ticket to see if the problem can be covered under an extended warranty type offer which was done for your other customers. My ticket # is 4116885586. My service call is set for nov 13 so a hasty response would be appreciated. Thank you

Collapse -
Re: Flickering screen
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 8, 2012 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Flickering screen

Hi Pspaulding26,

I checked into your issue. As your warranty expired very long ago, I can't help you. Sorry.

HD Tech

Collapse -
I can't tell if this is the 650.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Flickering screen

When you post, try to avoid old threads. Also, add the full model number. There is some that need a jumper cut but only a tech should know if that applies. I really shouldn't mention it since I only know a few models it helps.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.