Samsung forum

Rant

Strobe Light Flickering Problem - So Dissapointed in Samsung

by Apadd / July 29, 2011 2:33 PM PDT

RE: Model Number LN55C650L1FXZA 55 inch TV

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strobe Light Flickering Problem - So Dissapointed in Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strobe Light Flickering Problem - So Dissapointed in Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FAST. How long ago? Be specific!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 3:13 PM PDT

When we register we get 3 more months and that may drag it back into warranty.

Let's hope you are ready to tell more and you might get lucky.
Bob

Collapse -
Additional Information
by Apadd / July 30, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

Thanks for the feedback.

We live in the US/West Coast and we purchased the TV on June 30,2010. I followed the advice of several on this board and registered for an additional warranty of three months. We are hoping that Samsung comes through as there are several in the same situation as us. It is not acceptable for a TV to only last one year (almost to the day) before it breaks down. If inferior parts where used, samsung needs to address this issue with its consumers. I am hoping for the best. We love the TV and can't wait to get it fixed.

Collapse -
Good to read you got it back into warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional Information

Sorry but I want to avoid a dialog about consumer electronics today. As an electronics designer I can share that no company I know knowingly uses inferior parts. We can have a discussion about that botched capacitor formula but Samsung is making good on that and many DMD chips far out of warranty.

If you have trouble with the in warranty repair, be sure to add the TRANSACTION NUMBERS so the Ambassador can look into it.

I'm just a mod for the forums and passing along tips where I can.
Bob

Collapse -
Good advice...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 1, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional Information

If there's a transaction number, I'll be happy to send it up to a manager to review your case.

Collapse -
Final Verdict?
by QafSeemMeem / August 22, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem and was curious what the final resolution to your problem was? Unfortunately, the Samsung rep told me there was nothing they could do for me when I called because my warranty had expired 10 days prior. So no warranty extension.

Collapse -
QUICK. REGISTER your product and maybe
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Final Verdict?

You can get the 3 month extension.
Bob

Collapse -
Final Verdict?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2011 2:06 PM PDT

QafSeemMeem,

Collapse -
Problem resolved
by QafSeemMeem / October 4, 2011 10:51 PM PDT

Hello HDTech,

yes it was purchased in the US. From a local SAMS retailer.

FYI - The same day I made my post I logged onto Samsung.com and saw the new 3-month warranty expiration that was being offered. I registered. Called the 800 number. Was given a claim number. I was set up with a local service tech a week or two later. The guy came. Said he's been replacing alot of this same part lately. Was in and out in 10 mins. My tv is fully functioning again.

Collapse -
Final Verdict
by jwright9945 / October 8, 2011 1:01 AM PDT

I had someone from Samsung come out and fix my TV (since Samsung wouldn't do anything for me even though the TV was only 1 month past warranty). The problem causing the flickering/strobing on my TV was due to a bad Power Supply. You can easily fix this yourself if you are capable of unscrewing a bunch of screws. Just purchase a Power Supply online (should be around $50) and save yourself the ridiculous labor charge. It cost a little over $400 for Samsung to come out and replace this piece for me ($255 of labor) and all the guy really did was take off the back panel of my tv and swap out the Power Supply (which consisted of detaching 3 wires that were hooked into it, sliding it off and putting the new one on). I think my 10 year old brother could replace this.

So if you have this same exact problem, save yourself the money and order a new Power Supply and replace it yourself (One trick to taking off the back panel, there is a screw that is pretty hidden located in the center of the audio/video components - the red/white/yellow/etc on the back. Don't forget to unscrew this one).

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Collapse -
power supple
by notsohappywithsamsung / January 22, 2012 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Final Verdict

i too am having that problem with my LN55C630 do you happen to have a web site and part # for the power supple? I will not do the 3 months due to having to agree to their term and cond. some how im sure that will bit me in the butt or make them not responsible for their mistake. thanks for any help you can give me

Collapse -
power supple
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 23, 2012 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: power supple

notsohappywithsamsung,

Collapse -
power supply
by notsohappywithsamsung / January 23, 2012 5:49 AM PST

no when i go to that web page if i click on the 3 month extenion you have to create an account then you have to agree to the terms and cond. unless there is another site that does not ask for this. This is the site I went to - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

Collapse -
Samsung 55" LCD TV Model LN55C630K1F Screen Flicker Easy Fix
by TFurm / January 29, 2012 6:03 AM PST

Samsung 55" LCD TV Model LN55C630K1F screen flickering problem SOLVED !!!!!!! The problem is not the power supply in all cases. There is a little jumper wire about 3/8 inches long that you can cut and the screen flickering goes away. It is labeled JP854 on the power supply board. Take off the back panel of the TV (Model LN55C630K1F ONLY!! I don't know about other models). The power supply board is the brown one that has a big 55" on the upper left hand corner of the board. JP854 is directly down and to the right of that numer 55. It is a vertical wire. Using a pair of angled wire cutters, clip this wire at the top and bottom. Install the back panel, and reconnect the wires to the back of your TV. Enjoy......no nasty Samsung repair men to deal with. IF THAT does not work, your power supply was bad to begin with. Replace the power supply board (Part Number BN44-OO342B; about a 10-15 minute fix depending on your technical experience) and your TV is as good as new. Hope this helps everyone who has a problem, I know it worked for me. If you need pictures, feel free to e-mail a request to tlf27m@yahoo.com.

Collapse -
works
by jalm919 / January 31, 2012 8:21 PM PST

My samsung 55 inch started strobing a few months ago. I bought a $60 power board and that fixed the problem. A couple day ago it started strobing again, saw this post about cutting the single wire, it worked. My TV has been running for 2 days now with no strobing. I will update this post if it acts up and starts strboing again. Wish me luck.

Collapse -
LN55C630K1F Screen Flicker Easy Fix
by mellon-jim / March 27, 2012 5:48 AM PDT

Thanks so much for the the JP845 jumper wire fix. I removed it and so far no flicker! Time will tell if this is a long term fix, but for now I can watch the screen without the annoying (unusable) flicker.
I'm curious, though, as to how you happened upon this fix?
Still, thanks so much. Jim

Collapse -
Samsung Jumper Fix
by TFurm / May 10, 2012 11:09 AM PDT

My buddy and I bought the same TV. He paid for the repair, and he watched what the repairman did. When mine started to flicker, he told me how to fix it.

Collapse -
IT WORKS!!!

I am in my third day of an internship and It was my job to find someone to repair our tv. After doing research online I found your post about fixing it. I wasn't sure if my new boses would be keen to the idea but they were. We follewed these instructions exactly and it worked!! Thanks for making me look like a genius!!

Collapse -
You may want to do more research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: IT WORKS!!!

If you dig a little more, Samsung often will fix this for you. But I know how it is. Many don't want to make that call.

Collapse -
Same problem
by jwright9945 / September 30, 2011 5:43 AM PDT

I am having the same problem (model #LN55C630K1FXZA), only issue is mine starting acting up 1 year and 4 months after I bought the tv. Whenever I turn on the tv, regardless of the input (HDMI/Cable/etc), there is a constant flickering on the screen, basically like a strobe light.

This tv cost me over $1,500 and it hasn't even lasted a year and a half. I am extremely disappointed and upset with samsung on this issue because it didn't start happening until it was too late for the extended warranty, and it was manufactured in April 2010. How do you make a TV this nice and expensive that is going to quit working a year and a half later??

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I am trying to fix this without spending another $500, which is what people are trying to charge since I do not have an extended warranty. If I can just have a diagnosis of the problem, I can fix it myself. I'm obviously not going to get any help from Samsung on this issue, even though they sold me a defected tv.

Hope your issue was resolved and would really appreciate any feedback you have!

Collapse -
Same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 30, 2011 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

jwright9945,

Collapse -
Same problem
by jwright9945 / October 1, 2011 1:52 AM PDT

Yes, I tried registering for the 3-month extended warranty and it says that the warranty period has expired. And when I put in a service request, it recommends Lakes Electronics to fix it, which I know will cost me an arm and a leg. I'm upset with Samsung that I spent so much on this TV up front and it's already going to cost me a few hundred dollars more just so it will operate correctly, not even a year and a half later.

I would really appreciate any input on how to diagnose and fix the problem.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by gatorpa / February 1, 2012 9:44 AM PST

I have the exact same problem as these posters. I have contacted samsung multiple times over a 2-3 month period and all the online reps have acted like they have never heard of such a thing. When the problem first started I searched the web and found a few posts. It is so annoying we have stopped using the TV! I purchased an extended warranty and hopefully it wil cover the cost of repair. I think this is horrible service from Samsung, the reps acted very dismissive and almost rude. I am going to try again tonight to get somewhere with them.

Collapse -
fixed

well it was the power supply board BN44-OO342B it took me 10 min to fix . Nor samsung or the so called tech guy on here was any help!!! they dont take blame for the mess up. I will never ever buy samsung again pieces of crap

Collapse -
I agree 100%
by 3xv / January 28, 2012 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: fixed

" I will never ever buy samsung again pieces of crap "
+1
<div class="inter-pagination collapsable"> </div> <div class="postActions collapsable clearfix clearboth">
</div>

Collapse -
Same Problem and Stone walling from Samsung
by gatorpa / February 1, 2012 10:42 AM PST

I have had the same problem with this TV. I have discussed it with Samsung at least 3 times, each time they told me they had never heard of a such a thing. The last time I sent them the link to this page and they just played stupid.

I am so disgusted with their lack of honesty in this issue. It is obvious that they know there is a problem from reading this board. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty!

Collapse -
Samsung TV - Same Exact Issue
by TheRayCharles / February 22, 2012 1:36 AM PST

I have the same TV as you guys have... Samsung 46" LCD approximately 18 months old. Doing the flickering job as well. I WILL NEVER buy another Samsung TV as long as I live. I have retold the story over and over again to all my friends and collegues. Ridiculous and the fact that Samsung refers me to an out of warranty local repair shop that wants $450 for a repair that is clearly a design flaw and covered by their own service bulletins. It is NOT an isolated incident. And if we are a sampling, I would say this is present in a HUGE number of their TVs.

I too am beyond disappointed in their corporate stance on this issue and not owning and correcting the issue as they should.

Collapse -
HOW TO FIX STROBE LIGHT TV PROBLEM!!
by ShadyJake / August 17, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jQZ-TQdgU

Every model is different though, so to fix it you gotta cut a wire ( nail clippers will work to cut )with a different name, but usually it's BY ITSELF I've noticed and AROUND the same place. for my model version LNt4081f Samsung. The wire that worked for me to fix this strobe light, flashing problem. Or whatever you want to call it. The right wire to cut for my model (LNt4081f) is J818. If you have other models just try cutting the ones in the same area by themselves, if it doesn't work you can easily solder it back and try again. I Really hope this helps other people because this makes the TV useless and usually occurs after the warranty period!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.