Internet Service Providers forum

Streaming vs Downloading

by donaldfleming / June 5, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

In the context of downloading or streaming a television program onto a pc, does streaming use more or less mbs? Or is there no difference? Also, does picture quality differ between the two?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Streaming vs Downloading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Streaming vs Downloading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: Streaming vs Downloading
by Andy Holman / June 5, 2013 4:47 PM PDT

If you download the video that you would normally stream directly from an online video web site (like Youtube), then there's no difference in quality or download bandwidth used. Videos from many online video sites are limited in their resolution so they are not typically not HD 1080p quality. So if you download a HD 1080p video from the internet (or rip it from a DVD or Blu-ray) and played this HD video, then there's certainly a difference in picture and sound quality. That's what I do. I found online video sites to have poor quality videos for streaming to my nice HD TVs Happy

Collapse -
Big difference;
by Oldartq / June 6, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

You have 2 different methods of delivery. For all intends and purpose, streaming is now so what you see is what you are getting...and if the internet is in a traffic jam, you will see the video in bits and pieces (not continuous). But if the video can be downloaded and saved to the harddrive...then watch it all at once then you will see a smooth piece of video.

Collapse -
RE:Streaming vs Downloading
by varunchandak10 / June 29, 2013 4:16 PM PDT

It is the same thing whether to download or stream the video, but i suggest to download it as in the peak hours streaming is a bit slow. there is no difference is size of data usage and for the picture quality, for HD videos it is better to download the video as picture and sound quality of pc is good than that of video sites.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.