Mac OS forum

General discussion

Streaming to a Blu-Ray player

by jfruhlinger / December 28, 2009 11:27 PM PST

Hello all-

I'm thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player for my living room, and one of the models I was looking at in Best Buy said that it supported "PC streaming," which I assume means that it would stream video and audio from a computer on the same network. I was wondering if any Blu-Ray players that work in this way support Macs. I have the latest version of Snow Leopard on my computer, which is a white plastic MacBook. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Streaming to a Blu-Ray player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Streaming to a Blu-Ray player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More details
by rnauth1418 / December 29, 2009 4:34 AM PST

What model is it that you are referring to?

Collapse -
I'm looking for suggestions!
by jfruhlinger / December 29, 2009 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: More details

Actually, I was looking for recommendations on models that are compatible with Macs. I'm open as to the brand/platform; I'm interested in something that can stream from a Mac and supports Netflix instant watch.

Collapse -
As far as I have seen
by rnauth1418 / December 29, 2009 11:11 PM PST

As far as I know there aren't any blue ray player that allow for streaming from a personal computer. If you have seen some that are compatible with a p.c. please let me know. I will buy it in a heartbeat...

Collapse -
DLNA and iTunes
by Zeuxidamas / January 3, 2010 10:37 AM PST

If the player supports streaming by looking for the DLNA protocol, I am not sure that OS X supports this directly, although I believe that there are apps that enable a DLNA-based link so that a Mac can be seen as a Media Server.

Regardless, you will not be able top stream protected iTunes content to the device. DRM-free audio might be able to stream if the device supports it.
- Vr/Zeuxidamas..>>

Collapse -
sony bdp 570
by coles33 / January 31, 2011 1:26 PM PST
In reply to: uuuhhhuuummmm......

beware of the sony bdp players if you are getting them to stream Playon. It appears that sony is cutting off dlna feed at 1 hour and 7 minutes

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.