Samsung forum

General discussion

Streaming Netflix to HDTV using dongle

by anothergooner / June 29, 2009 2:28 PM PDT

Okay, got my beautiful LN46B750 and the dongle for wireless. I can transmit saved photos, videos, etc., to the TV and play them, and have an internet connection because I got the Yahoo Widgets thing going. But have not figured out how to transmit Netflix streaming movies to the TV. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BTW, I have another couple of questions about other things, but will wait on them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Streaming Netflix to HDTV using dongle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Streaming Netflix to HDTV using dongle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Streaming Netflix to HDTV using dongle
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / June 30, 2009 2:18 AM PDT

anothergooner,

Currently there is no way to stream Netflix to your TV. I know there is a yahoo widget that allows for this feature, but due to licensing issues, we have not added that into the sets yet. The best way to get Netflix on your TV would be to use a Samsung BD player that supports Netflix streaming.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, that's what we are here for Happy

- CE_Tech

Collapse -
when will netflix widget be available?
by rsansev / July 13, 2009 5:15 AM PDT

Is there a timeline for having this resolved?

thanks!

Ron

Collapse -
when will netflix widget be available?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2009 4:14 PM PDT

rsansev,

The timeline is when Netflix authors a widget for the television, and the two companies agree to work together. I'm not able to discuss that further until it is officially announced.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Any word yet on Netflix?
by rayb1214 / October 25, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

I regret having bought that wireless dongle now. Just a waste of money. Amazon got cut off, and the ADVERTISED Netflix streaming is still nonexistant.
I like the TV, but if I had to buy another one today, it would NOT be a Samsung based on the misleading advertising about streaming Netflix. There are TV's that CAN do it.

Collapse -
Any update?
by kdcoldiron / January 10, 2010 5:23 AM PST

I regret buying a 2009 Samsung LN46B650 TV now, because I was led to believe that the Netflix Widget would be available on it soon. Now I am finding out that it is not, and may not ever be.
Please pass on my request for that Netflix Widget on my TV.

Collapse -
Wireless USB LAN Adapter
by holymolymissmolly / October 20, 2009 4:07 PM PDT

If the Samsung WIS09ABGN wireless LAN adapter does not stream Netflix to my LN46B630, is it capable of streaming Hulu and other internet video sources? If so, can I access the web material with AnyNet remote?

Thanks.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG LIES TO SELL PRODUCTS
by slayer72 / February 10, 2010 4:13 AM PST

Well NETFLIX is not available for streaming on the LN46B750 because of licensing issues with SAMSUNG, yet they have it available if you buy the SAMSUNG Blue Ray player, NO ISSUES THERE? SAMSUNG customers can also pay $80 for a dongle (no other means of wireless will work) to access the internet, what great customer service! This is my first and last SAMSUNG product. A piece of advise for SAMSUNG, sooner or later your customers will realize your misleading practices and purchase other brands. SONY I'm coming back!

Collapse -
Streaming Netflix using Samsung dongle
by holymolymissmolly / October 20, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

Has anyone had experience with Samsung's WIS09abgn wireless usb lan adapter? Rather than buy a Netflix compatible BluRay player, I am considering the dongle for my Samsung ln46b630. My concerns are: can the Samsung remote control control the pc streaming process with the Anynet remote function; is there a buffering problem; is the image quality any different from a Netflix enabled Blu Ray player?

Thanks

Col. Video

Collapse -
dongle vs BluRay player
by kdcoldiron / February 11, 2010 5:17 AM PST

No, as you should see in this thread, the Netflix Widget is NOT available to Samsung TVs, whether it be by wireless LAN or ethernet LAN cable (unless you have a 2010 model TV that says on the box that it streams Netflix specifically).

My August 2009 LN46B650 does not, and I'm mad as h*** about it.

And the only thing you can do with your PC from the TV is view content that you've shared on the PC's hard drive. You can not "browse" the internet or stream Netflix to your PC in a way that it can be viewed on your TV unless you have your TV connected to the PC as a PC monitor (connected to the PC via DVI/HDMI).
AnyNet is just a way to have your TV control basic functionality of other Audio/Video devices that also support AnyNet, like DVD/BluRay players and Home Entertainment Systems (not PCs).

Collapse -
Dongle vs. BluRay
by FlyingPineapple / May 17, 2010 5:25 AM PDT

I too am mad as He** about this.

So, I have a 2500.00 TV and a 100.00 dongle, and can't do the ONE thing I wanted to do with them?!

Awesome product support Samsung! More and more companies are pulling bull***t like this lately. Apple and Samsung are officially circling the bowl, with regard to product support.

So - what can I do with this dongle and my TV?

Collapse -
Number 1 item on the FAQ:
by FlyingPineapple / May 17, 2010 5:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung app will be available in Canada soon
by wjmg / October 8, 2010 1:22 AM PDT

I've heard from Costco that Samsung will be providing firmware to add the Netflix app on the Samsung LN46C650 and other internet-capable models in late October or early November 2010.

Collapse -
Samusng App store not valid for 2009 Samsung TVs...
by kalaga1 / January 3, 2011 8:16 AM PST

Samsung deliberately has a pdf to check compatibility so not many users will find out and be disappointed like me.
http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/apps-and-product-table.pdf
I believe LN46C650 is a 2010 model so its supported.

Am also very disappointed that none of the Apps are supported on my Samsung TV (ln46b650). I registered for the app store only to realize the whole app store is totally irrelevant to 2009 series TVs (uses widgets not apps) because Samsung will not provide a firmware update. In fact I shall be happy to pay money to get this firmware upgrade! Why should I buy another device (e.g. Samsung BD player) just to get Netflix and other apps?

If Samsung lets its TVs become outdated in a few months (bought late 2009) how can one expect any brand loyalty.

In contrast I have a Vaio media center bought in 2003 and Sony still provides updates and makes it work with the latest OS (Windows 7).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.