Samsung forum

General discussion

streaming HD movies via Samsung PC Share

by sgatl / January 13, 2009 2:07 PM PST

Hey all,

Just received my LN52A750 today (which I love) and I got to work trying to stream various movies using DLNA. As others have noted, I was not able to get TVersity or any comparable streaming manager to work with the TV. I was, however, able to get various divx files working with the Samsung PC Share manger so I set out to get HD movies (mkv wrapper) working.

Doing a direct conversion into an avi or mp4 wrapper did not work for me. Thus, I had to resort to reencoding into a format the TV and Samsung manager understood. I used mediacoder, a freeware encoder/decoder to do this. Having figured out the correct settings, I have reencoded two different HD mkv files (one 1080p and one 1080i that both work flawlessly). Posted below are the detailed instructions.

1. Download and install mediacoder:
2. With mediacoder open, click add and open your mkv/other media file.
3. If the audio is already AC3, open the audio tab and make sure both enable audio and copy audio are selected.
If not, encode the audio as AC3 using the FFmpg encoder
4. Open the video tab and select bitrate based for mode. I would choose something like 5000 Kbps for the bitrate so you dont loose too much in the conversion.
5. Choose H.264 for your format and AVI for the container
6. Make sure Auto select for both source and encoder are selected
7. Under the x264 tab on the right, select main for your profile.
8. Transcode the video (On a brand new quad core machine, I was able to transcode at ~1.5-2x)
9. Add the file to the samsung software and you should be good to go.

I have not played around with this too much so if anyone can see an easier way to do this please let me know... especially if you can get it to work without having to reencode the whole file (although this may reflect a limitation in samsungs native codec support more than anything else)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: streaming HD movies via Samsung PC Share
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: streaming HD movies via Samsung PC Share
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by sgatl / January 13, 2009 3:13 PM PST

I was able to convert the mkv container directly into an avi one without reencoding. While the TV recognized and was able to play the resulting file, the playback was very choppy (unwatchable) and the playback froze. This seems to indicate that samsung does not support the h.264 variant codec that is floating around in most mkvs on the internet.

Reencoding is so much of a pain that I think it makes more sense to get a HTPC. The only other solutions I see are:

1. Samsung increases its native codec support (which seems to be the case for the 09' models... can we get the software upgrade as well please???).
2. Someone gets TVersity working with the samsung dlna so that it reencodes on the fly (although this would require a fast computer for 1080p movies)

Hope this info helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. To the samsung reps: a firmware/software upgrade to the 09' model codec support would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Making MKV to MP4 with 5.1 AAC to work with Samsung DLNA!
by DJst0ne / January 14, 2009 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: update

i've found a method to make mkv -> mp4 without reencoding the video! you only have to reencode the ac3 oder dts audio to aac 5.1 audio...

i only have one problem, that the samsung-tv does not stream the 5.1 audio to my receiver... the receiver says it'stereo, i don't know if that is possible... but would be nice Wink

so, here the steps for linux console to reencode mkv to mp4 Happy

Step 1: mkvextract tracks movie.mkv 1:video.h264

Step 2 for AC3 to AAC 5.1:
mkfifo audiodump.wav
faac -q 234 -o audio.aac -P -R 48000 -C 6 -X --mpeg-vers 4 audiodump.wav & mplayer movie.mkv -ac ffac3 -alang ger -channels 6 -af format=s16le,channels=6:6:0:2:1:4:2:3:3:0:4:1:5:5 -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=audiodump.wav -novideo -quiet-nolirc
rm audiodump.wav

Step 2 for DTS to AAC 5.1:
mkfifo audiodump.wav
faac -q 234 -o audio.aac -P -R 48000 -C 6 -X --mpeg-vers 4 audiodump.wav & mplayer movie.mkv -ac ffdca -alang ger -channels 6 -af format=s16le,channels=6:6:0:4:1:2:2:3:3:0:4:1:5:5 -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=audiodump.wav -novideo -quiet-nolirc
rm audiodump.wav

Step 3:
MP4Box -add video.h264 -add audio.aac -fps 23.976 ready-to-use.mp4

in Step 2 you can choose the language with "-alan ger" for German oder "-alang eng" for english...

if someone knows if it's possible to give out the Dolby Digtal 5.1 stream via optical audio out connector on the tv when playing MP4-Files with 5.1 encoded AAC sound, it would be great to say me how it's possible Wink

and, it only works with full hd 1080p files! 720p files won't work...
but with this method, you are much faster in reencoding, because the video is only copied.

Collapse -
didnt work
by sgatl / January 14, 2009 9:48 AM PST

I was able to make an mp4 with AAC 5.1 but the TV gave me an error saying it didnt have the video codec. This was with the 1080p file that I had successfully played with the reencoded AVI container. I will try other files to see if its a file specific thing but it still looks like the TV is very touchy as to what its input file is.

Hopefully, we will get a software upgrade soon to handle all these file issues (the 09' samsung models state that they have native mkv support).

Collapse -
PC Share thread
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2009 3:22 PM PST
In reply to: didnt work

We have a PC Share WiseLink Post pinned and locked at the top of the threads.

I might suggest copying and pasting these posts in there. I'd do it, but I want your names on the posts to receive the credit for your time and effort. This is great work!

Also, mkv support is still preliminary. I'm hoping for it just like you are, but I just wanted to make that one small clarification.

Collapse -
by DJst0ne / January 14, 2009 3:37 PM PST
In reply to: PC Share thread

i've copied it to the sticky thread Wink

btw: mkv support would be great!! Happy

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2009 4:51 PM PST
In reply to: copied

I think you'll get more responses there. I admit, some of these setups can be tricky, and there seems to be a following.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the formats I've heard, but like I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see what actually comes to pass.

Collapse -
dolby digital
by DJst0ne / January 14, 2009 3:38 PM PST
In reply to: PC Share thread

one thing...

can you say me if the optical out should give me the 5.1 sound? or is it just stereo in any way? or a firmware bug? Wink

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2009 4:52 PM PST
In reply to: dolby digital

It should deliver 5.1 if the broadcast is delivered in 5.1.

Collapse -
by DJst0ne / January 14, 2009 5:11 PM PST
In reply to: Optical...

ok, i think you mean if you receive with DVB-T tuner?
is it also 5.1 when playing over dlna? or should it be?

maybe it's a difference if it's MP4-file with h.264 and AAC 5.1 or with an avi-file with h.264 and AC3 5.1 file...?

Collapse -
mkv support
by DJst0ne / February 2, 2009 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Optical...

are there any good news about a new firmware for mkv support? Wink

greetings from austria

Collapse -
New firmware
by Alen79 / February 3, 2009 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: mkv support

I am also very interested in when there'll be a new firmware for the 9 series (with mkv support and some other features).

@Samsung mods: Are there any news about an upcoming firmware upgrade?

Collapse -
Not yet.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2009 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: New firmware

MKV is not a format that the television initially supported.

I have passed those comments upward, and am hoping for a positive response.

Collapse -
by arneaskeladd / September 25, 2009 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Not yet.....

I had trouble getting my Samsung UE40B7070 to play MKVs from my MacBook Pro and Time Capsule. It works via USB, but not wirelessly via EyeConnect (software) and DLNA/UPnP.

BUT: Someone on AVForums said to simply rename the files from .mkv to .avi. And guess what? It works! They play flawlessly on the Samsung! Whoa!

Collapse -
still same mkv issue
by gofasterplease / September 2, 2010 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Not yet.....

What's the latest?

I'm still having issues trying to stream my x264 mkv's to my UN55C6500. I'm using Samsung PC Share Manager, and it streams my MKV's just fine to my HTPC running XBMC but not to my UN55C6500, the audio gets terribly unsynced.

If I can avoid re-encoding that would be ideal.

Collapse -
MKV language
by zoldiz / May 19, 2009 9:55 PM PDT

I've bought a LE32B650T2 tv.
I managed to link it with my PC through the LAN (DLNA), and I managed to play an MKV film from that.
The problem is that I cant find how to change its language and how to turn on/change the subtitles.
Can you help?

Collapse -
This is incredible!!!
by dtxboy / July 17, 2009 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: MKV language

So why my LE40A756R1M with less than 1 year can't play mkv files ?
Must I upgrade to a new TV ?
I think people that pays 1600

Collapse -
please share your method
by alaindu57-23409066941931545863281177202225 / March 20, 2010 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: MKV language

can you please explain your manipulation to managed playing mkv film from LAN ?

I can play divx as mkv from USB (i have a LE32B651 tv)
but from LAN i don't see the mkv file
and the divx arn't playing in full screen Sad

please tell me how you managed it

Thanks a lot

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.