Computer Help forum

General discussion

Strangest connection issue ever

by exmortis / October 6, 2009 3:23 AM PDT

Brand new HP system, quad core, 3.57 Gb RAM, 3 gig LAN card. Windows Firewall is off. I can get online via web browser but cannot send/recieve email in Outlook 2003 professional, update from within programs, or get any of my streaming stock/trader programs to connect. Nothing connects to the internet except for IE and Firefox. The computer can see the other PC's on the network and even exchange files. I'm going through an N router by Belkin and I have DSL through AT&T. Could really use some ideas here. Side note, DNS and IP are correct and/or have been renewed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strangest connection issue ever
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strangest connection issue ever
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When Did This Start?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 6, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

You've left out some relevant information.. Which operating system? Vista? Did the problem recently start with the addition on the new system or did the computer correctly connect originally? Do all the other computers on the network connect correctly?

As to Outlook, are you SURE you've got the settings correct? (Specially the CHECK mark usually required in the "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" in the POP3 settings page. See THIS LINK[/url for the basic setup instructions which are similar in Outlook Express or Outlook.)

And what comes to mind here, IF the computer is Vista, have you updated the router and modem firmware with software that has Vista support?

Disabled the firewalls in the router and modem (if it has one) as well?

And just for kicks, if you haven't, please download, install, update using the manual updater below, then run the free Malwarebytes program using the direct download links from the links below:

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
More Info
by exmortis / October 6, 2009 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: When Did This Start?

Ah, apologies for the lack of information there. It's Windows XP/SP3. Here's the story thus far. I cloned the old box, programs, docs, etc. and then migrated it via external hard drive onto a new box. The original box still recieves in Outlook, KCast, etc. and can get online via IE and Firefox. The new box does as I've described. I've checked the regedit and there identical, I've also double checked the check boxes and there good as well. I've done multiple malware and virus scans/cleanups. Even smacked it with my Tune up utilities and Hijackthis.

A friend said to check the ports but this is happening on both an older Belkin router and a brand new Linksys router.

Collapse -
Ah...Now It's Clearer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 6, 2009 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info

The cloned drive is the problem.. As a general rule, the original XP installation on the old computer found, identified, and correctly installed all the correct hardware from the OLD computer. It also allows for a correct activation of the operating system, installation of the hardware drivers, etc.. Transferring that over to a second computer doesn't let the operating system perform those same steps.. It probably has different hardware, maybe a different motherboard, different driver requirements, etc.

Basically, unless the parts are IDENTICAL from one computer to the next, it won't work as you'd like.. Besides, the standard XP SP3 version doesn't allow you to legally install on more than one comptuer. On the new computer, you'll need to do a complete format and reinstall of a full, legal operating system so the setup identifies everything correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
But...
by exmortis / October 6, 2009 12:33 PM PDT

The Windows XP on the new box has been fine, it updates fine and the device manager has everything just right. I'm willing to strip it back to square one but damned if I want to do that. This is what I would call an over budget project that's quickly running out of time. Do you have an alternative idea? maybe a rewrite of regedit or something to that effect? Either way, I appreciate the input.

Collapse -
Sorry, But What You See Is What You Get...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 7, 2009 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: But...

You can't fix such issues with a registry edit.. Improper and potentially illegal installations of XP generally don't function correctly.. Device Manager reads correctly because it did on the other machine, not this one.. And since it's against forum policies to discuss Piracy and unlawful activities, I'll need to lock this thread. You're on your own.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.