Computer Help forum

General discussion

strange reboot problems with Toshiba laptop..

by Sotoraku / January 20, 2007 9:55 AM PST

A few hours ago, I downloaded a registry cleaner and cleaned up some things. The cleaner itself has a backup log of the registry keys i deleted. I deleted something that was critical I guess and now my laptop is stuck in a rebooting loop.

Its a toshiba laptop Satellite 1415-S173. Everytime I turn the laptop on it goes to the TOshiba introduction screen and then goes to a black window very briefly. As soon as the black window shows up it reboots again and this process repeats endlessly. I"ve managed to catch the words on the black screen before it reboots again.. it says "NDetect failed."

I've tried going into the system setup and fixing it up based on other forums dealing with similar problems but to no avail. I tried starting it in safe mode and all the other modes that are available to me, but they revert back to the same startup loop.

One peculiar thing though is that when I change the Network Boot Protocol from PXE to RPL and the boot priority to CDROM-LAN-HDD-FDD, it goes to a screen that says "press HOME key to abort RPL" ..
below this is
RPL-ROM-ADR: 0008 0DF0 5E0D
RPL-ROM-FFC: __ -> here is a count of seconds elapsed

A couple times it said:
PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
along with other things i think..

can someone help me please?! =(
I just need to get to safe mode so I can restore the registry keys i deleted.. =/

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strange reboot problems with Toshiba laptop..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strange reboot problems with Toshiba laptop..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2007 11:28 AM PST

1. Does a complete wipe and system install fix it?

2. This is some 1.8GHz Celeron which means it can be years old. How long since you had the heatsinks cleaned and fans checked?

Collapse -
Re: Tell me
by Sotoraku / January 20, 2007 4:31 PM PST
In reply to: Tell me.

how do i do a complete system wipe? i've never done one before.

this laptop is pretty old.. around 4 or 5 years old. i've never checked the heat sink or fans. i'm inexperienced with this stuff =/

Collapse -
Even Laptops need cleaning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2007 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Tell me

This item is catching many laptop owners by surprise. They thought it was some no-maintenance brick. This may be good news to those that will snap up any laptop that boots but dies in minutes since they'll know to pay little for it, clean it up and ebay it off.

It's not "technical" to get dust and lint off the heatsinks. If you feel it is then you have to take it to a service counter.

Collapse -
This is what you are going to do
by StargateFan / January 20, 2007 10:37 PM PST

I going to assume that this an XP machine so I will list the instructions for this first. I also left the same response in the laptops forum.

Ok this is what you are going to do.

Go into your BIOS and adjust the boot configuration so the machine will boot from the CD ROM. Before executing the setting save and allowing the machine to reboot, insert your Windows XP installation CD into the drive.

Now the machine will run through the BIOS, and then the computer will skip the bootstrap program aka NTLDR and boot directly from the CD.

When you get to the main menu of the Windows Installation CD press "R" to enter the Windows Recovery Console. I am going to provide lind of patronozong instructions because I don't know if you have any experiance in the RC. Allow the RC to go through the process of starting, you will be able to see the status at the bottom of the screen. In the status area it will first want you to press any key if you are using a non US standard keyboard. There will be a countdown next to this, let that finish and do not press any keys.

Now move your attention from the status bar to the main screen. The RC now wants you to select what Windows installation you want it to initiate for repairs. If you have a dual boot system more then one selection will be tlisted, by defualt the C: drive is always put as the first selection on the list. If this is the location of your Windows installation press "1" and then hit enter.

Now the RC is going to ask you to input your admin password, do so and press enter, you get three tries to enter the correct password, if you fail to do so the RC will lock you out and restart the system in which case you will have to wait for the install console to reinitiate and then reneter the RC, and redo every step we went through thus far.

Once you enter your admin password the console will bring you to a prompt similar to that in DOS. Now again I don't know if you have ever used DOS before so bare with me if you have. DOS is a completely command line based interface so you will be typing out commands for the PC to execute.

So now we are at the prompt which should read C: or C:\Windows, either will do. Now you are going to type the following command

at the prompt type the following command exactly:

D:\i386\ C:\

this is very important I used the D: drive in my example I am assuming this is your CD ROM drive if it is not, please replace the letter D with the correct letter, the same goes for C:, if this is not the correct drive for your Windows Hard Drive please make the proper corrections. Also make sure to place a space between com and C. Once you typed the command hit enter.

Thats it you hopefully just fixed your pc. (If you did not which we will find out later then you have another problem)When the prompt returns that means the command executed successfully. What you just did was replace a file called it is a registry file that is one of the first files to be executed by the NTLDR, the Windows Bootstrap program. What this file does is collect data from the computers BIOS during boot up. And then the file passes this data to the actual Windows kernel (the core of Windows).

At the prompt type the word exit and hit enter. This will restart the computer. Once again go into the BIOS and reset the boot configuration so that the PC boots from the hard drive. Remove the CD and save the settings the computer will reboot and now you should go directly into Windows.

Again I apologize if this seemed a little patronizing I don't know the extent of your computer skills. Also these are directions for an XP machine only. If you have 2000, please let me know I will post the directions. If you have any questions or trouble please post them and I will try to get back to you as soon as I can. Finally let me know how it turns out. Good Luck

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.