Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Strange program icon in taskbar

by CNETuserNYC / September 23, 2010 6:38 AM PDT

I recently installed an update to my Norton 360 (to upgrade to version 4.0) and also recently installed some automatic Windows Updates.

Now, whenever I turn on my computer, a program icon appears on the taskbar (not in the system tray, but an actual program loaded up). I do not recognize the icon, I cannot close the program, and when I open Task Manager, there does not even appear to be a program running.

I uploaded a picture of my taskbar (http://tinypic.com/r/141qcqo/7). The icon in question is to the left of Microsoft Outlook.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange program icon in taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange program icon in taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are You Referring to the Norton LiveUpdate Icon?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 23, 2010 1:13 PM PDT

It's the yellow circle, with the green check mark, with the little viewer above it. It appears like maybe the Norton update didn't complete...

Tried visiting the Symantec website and downloading the manual update and running it?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No. I am not talking about the System Tray.
by CNETuserNYC / September 24, 2010 1:48 AM PDT

I am referring to the program to the left of Microsoft Outlook.

Collapse -
Ahhh,.... It Looks Like The Windows Search Icon..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 25, 2010 12:27 PM PDT

Have you checked "msconfig" or the Start-All Programs-Startup menu to see if "Search" is running at startup? If you see it in "Startup", simply delete the shortcut there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Startup/Msconfig
by CNETuserNYC / September 27, 2010 12:01 AM PDT

Thank you for that suggestion.

My "Start-All Programs-Startup" folder only contains "Microsoft Office" and no other programs.

My MSCONFIG has a number of programs listed, none of them are "Search" though. The MSCONFIG Startup tab lists:

igfxtray
hkcmd
DVDLauncher
PfuSsSct
CardLauncher
pdfquickview
StatusClient
hpbpsttp
HPWuSchd2
DLACTRLW
ISUSPM
issch
CS4ServiceManager
jusched
Acrotray
AdobeARM
msmsgs
ctfmon
wcescomm
Microsoft Office

Thanks so much for your help!

Collapse -
not a Norton icon
by Michael_York / September 30, 2010 9:36 AM PDT

Hi,

This is Mike from Norton Support.

The icon you have posted is not a Norton icon but looks to be like some kind of Windows icon. When you open Task manager what does it show as running?

Thanks,
Mike

Collapse -
VolkanAkkurt
by volkan akkurt / September 30, 2010 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: not a Norton icon

Volkan Akkurt: I had the same problem. I e-mailed Norton customer service with a detailed description of the issue. I hope they will
come up with a solid solution. I will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Nothing running
by CNETuserNYC / October 6, 2010 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: not a Norton icon

Mike, thanks for your reply.

When I open Task Manager, it actually shows that no applications are running.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.