Desktops forum

General discussion

strange problem with crazy dvd burner

by sectornine / April 14, 2006 2:26 PM PDT

i was burning a dvd today, after it's done i edject the disc and then push the disc back into the dvd burner drive as usual, i then checked the disc to see if it can be read, and copy a few things from the cd to my hd, everything works, so i edject the disc for the final time and decided to put in inside my cd case.

as i push the edject button, i noticed it got stuck, before i can do anything, the tray with my disc pops out, but half way through it slots back in, then madly slots back out then in then out then in, you get the picture.

when it finally stops, i quickly grabbed the disc in the tray in hopes that i would be able to get it out before the tray starts going craazy again, my attempt failed; as the tray suddendly retracts back in, i withdraw ny hands but my dvd is stuck along ith the tray, the tray locked my dvd tight, then out of the blue the tray pops back out, unstucking my disc, i grabbed the disc and unstick the 'edject' button on the dvd burner, i then checked the dvd for damage, there's to be none.

i then loads the dvd back into the dvd burner to see if it still can be read, i didn't see any scratches on the dvd, but i just wanted to nake sure the dvd didn't get 'squashed' by the trya and that i wanted to make sure it can still be read, when the dvd burner starts reading my disc, i was horrified.

the dvd burner makes ALOT OF "CLICKING" noises insted, the disc cannot be read, the dvd burner just kept on clicking and clicking and clicking, i edject the dvd and insted loads it at a different dvd-rom drive on my desktop pc, to my surprise, it loads perfectly, i tried loading the disc into the dvd burner, again it just makes a bunch of clicking noises

i was rather mad, the burn was successful, the disc was reading fine, at least until the edject button got stuck and the tray went mad as i was grabbing hold of my dvd, and in the process squash it, but that shouldn't completely rander the dvd useless, so my question is:

-why is my dvd burner not reading the disc after the disc tray "squash" it, i see no phsycal damage, not even a tiny scratched, the brun was complete successfullly in the first place, and after the burn the dvd burner was reading it fine until i push the edject button and things go mad frim there.

-how come my other dvd rom drive was able to read the dvd even though the dvd burner wasn't able to?

my burner and reader:

-lite-on 16x dvd burner (model 1693s)

-lite-on dvd rom

software used to burn the dvd was nero 6 express

please help me, please help, thanks T_T

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strange problem with crazy dvd burner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strange problem with crazy dvd burner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is your DVD Bruner ok?
by jm1234567890 / April 14, 2006 3:31 PM PDT

Did you test another disk in your DVD Burner?

Collapse -
by sectornine / April 14, 2006 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Is your DVD Bruner ok?

yes, all the other dvds worked, exept for the one i mentioned.

all i did was trying to take my dvd out of the tray as it's going crazy by popping out then back in, thans to the stucked "eject" button on the burner

i grabbed th dvd but the tray slides back while i was lifting the disc away, when the tray slides bak in i drooped the disc back onto the tray

but since the disc wasn't properly seated on the tray as it's sliding back in, the tray, along with my percious disc was utterly stucked/trapped and there's no way for me to move either the tray or my disc, it was stucked.

after a few seconds though the trays automatically slides back out, before it could slides back in again, i grabbed my disc just in time, later on i unstuck the "eject" button, and placed the disc inside the burner to see if it can read

but insted the burner just makes a bunch of clicking noises, the disc was unreadable, dispite the fact that it was a successful burn and it was reading perfectly until the incident.

i placed the disc on my other dvd rom drive, and it works just fine,the disc is not badly damage, at least i hope it's not, condersidering the fact my dvd rom drive could still read them, but i'm still very worried.

please help.

Collapse -
Then it's a "coaster".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2006 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: yes

When we make a CD/DVD that doesn't work, we call it a coaster. I'm not going to detail all the reasons why but will share the one thing I do that helps me avoid a coaster ride.

I select the record speed to be 1/2 of the rated media recording speed.

-> The other drive could be more tolerant of a read error. And may react differently. Some owners go into tailspin if machines don't work like each other. After it happens enough they learn that this is the way of things. Think of them like children. No two will behave the same (at least not here.)

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
crazy dvd
by alexc36 / April 14, 2006 9:47 PM PDT

I've got en Emprex and it does the same thing.

Collapse -
by sectornine / April 14, 2006 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: crazy dvd

whar's a emprex?

Collapse -
not possible!!!
by sectornine / April 15, 2006 1:02 PM PDT

i understand what a bad burn is, and it happen to me a few times before, but this time it's completly different.

first, nero 6 did a successful burn with my dvd, there was no freezing or locking up, the burning process was smooth, everything was good, plus i was using maxell dvd+r, not some cheap dvd brand.

second, the disc was actually readable after the burning process, i edject the disc out and loads it back in, again it was readable, but then when i push the edject button AGAIN THE STUPID BUTTON GOT STUCK.

the tray holding my disc was sliding in and out like crazy, i tried grabbed my disc but it suddenly pops back in, i drooped the disc back on the tray as it moves back in, but the disc got "stuck" in the middle and basically the tray got stuck as well.

few sec later it slides back out allowing me to rescue my dvd, i then fix the edject button on my burner and load the disc back in the drive to see if it suffer any damage during the time it got "squash" by the tray, i then found out the disc was no longer readable, even thought it was still readable befoe the incident.

i'm sure it wasn't a bad burn, but a little squash from a dvd burner tray can't be powerful enough to kill my dvd right?

imagine putting a cup of coffee on your dvd burner tray, you know, like a using it as a coffee holder, then you push the edject button on the burner, but it got stuck, so the tray moves in and out and in and out, "squashing" your cup of coffee in the process, now inmagine the cup of coffee is my dvd, oyu get the picture, that's why i don't believe a dvd can be ruin this easily by the drive tray.

Collapse -
I believe it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2006 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: not possible!!!

If you find a nice microscope you'll be amazed at the size of the writing on the media. Since the damage can't be seen by the eye and one system may have better error correction than the other, your story is not unheard of.

How to analyze this before tossing the slightly defective media may be a matter of how much time to spend under the microscope.

Collapse -
by sectornine / April 17, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

is it my dvd burner's problem, or the dvd's problem?

can data disappeared even if they're already burnt to the dvd?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.