Laptops forum

Question

Strange problem Dell XPS M1730 won't recognize a hard drive.

by insaneclown1 / April 25, 2013 7:07 PM PDT

I have an XPS M1730 running windows 7 64bit OS. It has 8gb ram memory, 1000gb hard drive, a new wifi card, and it has a weird problem. I recently wanted to upgrade a few things in this laptop, as it was about 4 years old. New wifi card and new hard drive. New wifi card works great. Intel n6300. when I went to put in the new hard drive, issues started to happen. This is not the first time I have put a new hard drive in this computer. I had previously upgraded to a 500gb hard drive, no problem. That was about a year ago. it has the ability to operate dual hard drives at the same time with a ribbon connecter running to both, which are stacked on top of each other in the hard drive basket underneath the laptop. One is marked with a 0, the other with a 1. I have operated two hard drives at the same time before using this same computer with no issues. My understanding is that the 0 slot is the main hard drive slot in use from the factory, with the 1 being used for an additional hard drive if desired. This was how I had been using it. Now for some reason, when I tried to install the new hard drive, the computer wouldn't "see" it in slot 0, but it would see it and operate from it in slot 1. I tried changing out the ribbon, and it won't recognize any hard drive with the new ribbon. Tried finding a solution in bios, that didn't work. finally installed a new motherboard, and encountered the same problem. The laptop still will only recognize / see one hard drive, and only in slot 1, and only using the original dual drive ribbon, not the new one, even with a new motherboard! What am I missing here?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange problem Dell XPS M1730 won't recognize a hard drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange problem Dell XPS M1730 won't recognize a hard drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Back to Dell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 2:15 AM PDT

Is the bios doesn't see it and the 500GB does get seen that sounds like the bios has an issue with the large drive. Or you've tripped over the rare issue of SATA 1,2,3 compatibility issues. Only Dell may know this one.

However I've encounter too many folk that can't partition and format a drive today. Good luck.
Bob

Collapse -
Not a hard drive size issue.
by insaneclown1 / April 26, 2013 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Back to Dell.

The issue is that the computer will not read any hard drive in slot 0 now. Not even the original one. It will read fine in slot 1. Is there something in the bios menu that would change your main slot from 0 to 1 that might have happened? Could slot 1 have been selected as the main hard drive slot for the computer? Or the ability for the computer to read from the 0 slot turned off?

Collapse -
At this point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 1:16 AM PDT

I'm swapping motherboards. There are clients that want the old motherboard to be repaired but unless I can see cracks in the solder work it's a new motherboard.
Bob

Collapse -
Same problem!!
by Hendocat / June 4, 2015 10:01 PM PDT

I'm experiencing the same issue with my xps m1730... exactly as you described it!

I got mine secondhand a few days ago and tried installing a new OS to the original HDD. I was able to see both hard drives in the BIOS beforehand as well as during the Windows 8.1 install screen, but alas after installing the new OS it would no longer recognize the drive in SATA slot "0". The drive in SATA slot "1" is still showing up in the BIOS, but I can't seem to do anything with it. This has led me to believe that it is either a driver issue, or a motherboard issue.

It's a relief to know that somebody else was/is having the same issue as me. Were you able to find a solution, or was it unsolvable? Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide. Cheers!

Collapse -
Answer
For this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2015 11:08 AM PDT

Back to Dell to see if they'll repair it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.