TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Strange noise from speakers

by methylatedmartyr / January 30, 2013 1:58 AM PST

There's a strange noise coming from my speakers most similar to the sound a bat makes. I'm curious to know what could cause this. I've included a small sound clip. Thanks for any feedback guys!

http://www.wikiupload.com/89S3CCT381UJJ8H

methylatedmartyr has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange noise from speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange noise from speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by methylatedmartyr

Collapse -
Sounds like hum and noise to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 2:05 AM PST

I've heard that since my first stereo. Take almost any amplifier and with no input crank up the volume and you usually can hear that noise. Some say it's from The Big Bang. Most of the time it's just the (electrical) noise around us and in the amplifier.

http://www.xprt.net/~rcrowley/tvcaudio/humnoise.htm and thousands of web articles are available.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by methylatedmartyr / January 30, 2013 7:06 AM PST

I understand the hum which to some degree just seems to be a fact of life, but the fast clicking, "tsst" noise is what has me confused.

Collapse -
I understand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: thanks for the reply

But with all the people that have WiFi and it's bursty transmission method, all bets are off if that can get into our audio gear.
Bob

Collapse -
interesting
by methylatedmartyr / January 30, 2013 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: I understand.

you make an interesting point! i notice that this problem has greatly intensified in the last few days, which is exactly when i set up a wifi connection. before it was bearable. i think i should try a comparison with the wifi turned on vs turned off. thanks for the insight.

Collapse -
Thoughts. A tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: interesting

As any wired connections can pick these up and pipe it into our audio realm, my favorite connection today is OPTICAL also known as TosLink among other names. So far no RF signal can get into that cable. Well, that is until you emit enough power to light up the air itself.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Working with open input amplifiers.
by mjd420nova / January 31, 2013 9:45 AM PST

More than one set of speakers has been know to pick up CB and police calls. A little hiss and clicking can be traced to wire sheilding, both within and outside the amplifier. The other sounds can be a light switch in the house, a welder down the block or even a cosmic gamma ray striking a transistor substrate. Sheilding is essential for both input and output but speakers wires are not normally sheilded. Keeping speaker wires away from all power lines, cords, or even non conduit Romex in the walls. A little repositioning of wires while listening may reveal a bad connection or tow and some movement would allow you to search for null points.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.