The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Strange iPod behavior... suggestions?

by Jasmes / June 28, 2006 12:17 PM PDT

The iPod randomly stopped mounting on my desktop or iTunes, also won't mount in disk mode, when I try to play a song on the iPod itself it just starts skipping through songs, displaying the title and then switching to the next song in the playlist, displaying that title, and so on.

Fixable? FUBAR? Help? Please?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange iPod behavior... suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange iPod behavior... suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by robstak / June 28, 2006 1:01 PM PDT

you might have 2 probs goin on.

If you are using firewire: i bought a firewire card AT THE APPLE STORE. 3 months later the belkin card stopped mounting my ipod. no errors, it would charge but not mount. I go back to complain and the apple genius actually told me that card only works 30% of the time. ***! Try connecting via USB borrow a friends. worked for me.

I've also had the problem with the song skipping. Resynching fixed it for me. Make sure the songs are ok in itunes.

if all else fails, reformat the ipod and just resynch it to your library. It's a pain in the ***, but usually works (like rebooting your computer!)

ps im assuming ur ipod isnt physically damaged, dented, or making weird noises or displaying cryptic characters...

Collapse -
Repeat IPOD Failures
by jdventer / June 28, 2006 1:20 PM PDT

My 60G Photo IPOD failed repeatedly even after being replaced. After the third time around I asked the Genius at the Apple store if there was something I could be doing to cause the failures. They said that PC virus scans software can mess up the IPOD by trying to scan it when it is plugged into the PC. I was able to tell my virus Zonwe Alarm software not to scan the Removable Drives, thus the IPOD, when it was plugged in. I have had no problems in the several months since. Unfortunately it sounds like you will have to reinstall the system software and your media files to get it back to normal function first.

Collapse -
Support link
by mad7771 / June 28, 2006 1:44 PM PDT

Not really knowing which kind of iPod you have, I couldn't look for more specific information but maybe this link will act as a bit of a portal to areas that might give you the answer you need:

Collapse -
And yes...
by mad7771 / June 28, 2006 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Support link

Machugger's alter ego is Michigan J. Frog Happy

Collapse -
What's with the alter-ego?
by SantiagoCrespo / June 28, 2006 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: And yes...

did your other account die on you? or are you hiding from someone in another forum Silly

Collapse -
he's tryin to get another tshirt no doubt!
by robstak / June 29, 2006 8:48 AM PDT

(btw i knew it was you all along)

Collapse -
by MacHugger / June 30, 2006 9:52 AM PDT

My plot was foiled. At least you have yet to figure out that Keystroke and I are the same... doh!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ask the NSA :-)
by Dirty Pirate / June 29, 2006 3:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
iPod Mini
by Kyraal / June 30, 2006 9:59 AM PDT

My iPod Mini is exhibiting similar behaviour, although it hasn't gone as far as refusing to mount on a regular basis, but that does happen from time to time.

The past few days it has stopped playing when I've been listening to podcasts, and often it just freezes up whenever I change songs/podcasts--something it has never done before.

But then again, it's had similar problems from day one, so it's just a case of Apple spitting out crap products Wink

Collapse -
Dont be so harsh
by Chris_Fon / June 30, 2006 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: iPod Mini

Dude, iPod mini is like the best selling MP3 player of all time!! Just because 1 of the kajillions sold happens to work a bit poorly doesnt mean we should all frown at apple. By an iPod Nano or a different MP3 player if u want to replace ur mini.

The thing is:
Buy a Sansa, ur friends will say: "huh, which one?".
Buy an iPod Nano and they'll all say "WOW!!"

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.