Computer Help forum

Question

Strange freezes

by Kevin3043 / January 16, 2013 7:34 AM PST

Whenever I'm playing a game, mostly Civ 5, but also Garry's Mod, Far Cry 3, and many others, my computer will freeze, and the only thing I can do is turn it off with the power button.

There's nothing wrong with my HDD and I ran Memtest, but nothing showed up.

It's worth noting that any buzzing I hear through my headset, which is probably from the GPU, stops entirely when my comp freezes.

I also need to take out my Cisco wireless USB adapter and plug it back in to get it working properly when the computer is back up again.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Intel i5-3570k
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
GeForce GTX 560
2 x Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
Raidmax RX-730SS
WD Caviar Green 500GB

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That USB issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: Strange freezes

Sounds like some issue I encountered with a defective BIOS. Check with the maker for BIOS updates if you can't restart with the USB stick plugged in.
Bob

Collapse -
Hm
by Kevin3043 / January 16, 2013 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: That USB issue?

Sorry, I should have reworded that.

I can turn the computer on perfectly fine with the USB stick. The stick itself doesn't work until I take it out and put it back in.

Collapse -
Then it sounds like a stick/driver issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Hm
Collapse -
Freezes, buzzing etc....
by pgc3 / January 16, 2013 10:09 AM PST

I wonder if Almanize and Kevin are dealing with the same computer, they both seem to have the same problem(s), seems odd.

Collapse -
(NT) If they mention Event ID 10, we'll know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 10:12 AM PST
Collapse -
Hm
by Kevin3043 / January 16, 2013 10:17 AM PST

Is there another thread?

Collapse -
Answer
Freezes, gaming etc.
by pgc3 / January 16, 2013 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Strange freezes

So does the system freeze when you are browsing the net? From the sound of it you must be gaming wirelessly online. Is that correct or did I misunderstand, you did mention a Cisco adapter so you must be running from a router or gateway. If that be the case my question would still be regarding freezes while browsing.

Collapse -
Hm
by Kevin3043 / January 16, 2013 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: Freezes, gaming etc.

Nope, only when I'm gaming. Never really happened on multiplayer, but I don't do multiplayer that much. It could certainly be an issue with the adapter, like the gentleman above said...

Collapse -
Adapter
by pgc3 / January 16, 2013 11:28 AM PST

So you are doing this wirelessly? Have you tried a hardwire hook up to the router? USB wireless adapters are really not the way to go for such tasks, gaming etc. Typically a wireless slot card would be an improvement but a hardwire hook up is generally the best way to go, again I am ASSUMING this is what you are doing.

Collapse -
Hm
by Kevin3043 / January 16, 2013 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: Adapter

My connection is wireless, yes, but I am not gaming online when the freezes happen. It's always been on single player, and since there's no extra traffic in single player gaming, I'm not entirely sure setting up a wired connection will solve anything.

Collapse -
Wireless
by pgc3 / January 16, 2013 10:54 PM PST

IF it is freezing while online..the first thing to suspect would be bandwidth..insufficient signal or too much variation to maintain integrity, very common with wireless hook ups. That is why I mentioned using a slot card which are usually more efficient than a USB adapter... or doing a hardwire hook up, way more consistent than wifi. If the unit is not hooked/linked and you are still having these types of issues I'd suspect either a video or power issue or combination of both but it could also be software created, firmware, OS compatibility issue...etc..etc...

Collapse -
Hm
by Kevin3043 / January 21, 2013 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless

Any ideas about what it might be besides bandwidth and wireless issues? I have a feeling that the adapter going haywire is a side effect of either the main issue or the abrupt shut down.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.