Windows 7 forum

Strange device in "devices and printers"

by Win7ter / April 1, 2013 6:44 AM PDT

(Win 7 Home Premium 64bit )

Hi guys,

Today I saw that suddenly there is this strange device in my "devices and printer" window. It has an icon that looks like a tablet (but my computer is a "normal" laptop) and although the manufacturer (Acer) is correct and the name does correspond to my computer's name in the network, it gives a "model" which doesn't have anything to do with my computer: "Iconia W511"... which would indeed be something like a tablet as the icon shows.

Along this strange device I also see my bluetooth mouse and my smartphone, both are displayed correctly, without any strange properties.

I didn't have any problems so far, but it's just not normal that this computer appears within "devices and printers" so I'd like to get rid of that before problems come up.

Note: Earlier today I had a complete "freeze" of my computer (not even Ctrl+Alt+Del worked) so I shut it down by pressing a couple of seconds on the power button. It is after this that I went into the "devices and printers" control panel and saw the strange device, but maybe it was there before.

Has anyone got any idea why this happened and how I can fix it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange device in "devices and printers"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange device in "devices and printers"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

In an effort to make things easier, some things like a DLNA server can pop up in such an area. This is not a bug.

Your post makes me think you might be thinking it's time for the makers and retailers to offer more documentation. Do you feel like every question you ask is being googled?

Collapse -
Uhm, what?
by Win7ter / April 1, 2013 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly

Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean with "Do you feel like every question you ask is being googled?" And no, I wasn't thinking anything about documentation, but maybe that would be a good idea as well.

Just as an additional note to my problem stated above: I just checked on another Win7 machine and at the exact same spot there, there appears the correct name and model of the actual computer (a laptop as well), not some seemingly invented/fantasy model that has nothing to do with the actual computer. It used to be like this on my laptop as well, so I'm really wondering why and how that changed. Although I don't know much about DLNA I can't imagine it has to do with that - why would that suddenly make another model name pop up (instead of the correct one)?
Could this be due to some error in the registry? In other places on my computer with system information I couldn't see anything wrong so far.

Collapse -
Sorry, it's a feature, not an error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Uhm, what?

DLNA or media servers will pop up there.

It's a feature.

Collapse -
by Win7ter / April 1, 2013 8:25 AM PDT

Thanks for the answer.. I would very much like it to be a feature. Happy
OK, so let's assume that it is something with DLNA, but why does that change the computer's model? In the last few months since I got the computer it never was like this.

Collapse -
Good luck in uncovering why it turned on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Any of the updates could turn it on, and maybe there was no media server in sight. You have a good question and concern. Since a media server can call itself what it wants, not much of a mystery there either.

Sorry but if I write more I'd be duplicating the internet.

Collapse -
Again, a feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

"From a PC, you can see it when it comes alive. In Windows 7, Start/Devices and Printers/Add a Device and the DMP should just pop up. Typically, clicking its icon will open up a browser window that with bring you to its configuration screen."

So it should just pop up.

I bet this could upset a few folk.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.