Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Strange Black screen virus

by Saintman / May 28, 2005 1:51 AM PDT

My friends computer got a spyware/virus problem a while back, so i installed windows anti-spyware. It detected alot but supposedly the spyware couldnt be removed.
He had Norton and it detected a virus as well but could not remove it.
Recently when he turns on his computer and boots windows XP a black screen appears with the text "Warning! Your Computer is infected!" This seems to be the desktop background, because taskmanager can run.
Explorer.exe crashes when it attempts to run or when I try to run it, so no start icons etc.
Also, i tried to launch system restore through the "new task" but it wouldnt load.

What should I do other than completely restoring the drive? Its an HP unfortunatly so no windows disk.
He has the recovery set that writes over his entire harddrive, i dont know if this is the best option.

I managed to get his computer to boot in safe mode w/command prompt to try to access system restore, I launched rstrui.exe, a window popped up but would not load.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange Black screen virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange Black screen virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what are the names of these detections?
by dawillie / May 28, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

have you run any spyware detectors other than MSAS.

Collapse -
Try this......
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 28, 2005 2:36 AM PDT

1. Download the FixVundo.exe file from: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixVundo.exe

2. Save the file to a convenient location, such as your Windows desktop.
3. Close all the running programs.
4. If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet.
5. If you are running Windows Me or XP, turn off System Restore. Do Start->Control Panel->System, System restore. Check "Turn off System Restore" and reboot.
6. Locate the file that you just downloaded.
7. Double-click the FixVundo.exe file to start the removal tool.
8. Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.

Important: Do not launch any new applications while the tool is running.

9. Restart the computer.
10. Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.
11. If you are running Windows Me/XP, then re-enable System Restore.(Check the box)
12. If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, reconnect the computer to the network or to the Internet connection

Collapse -
Give this a try.
by Tufenuf / May 28, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

Saintman, If the problem computer is running Windows XP right click the desktop, choose Properties, then choose the Desktop tab, then click Customize Desktop button, then choose the Web tab, then delete any entries except My Current Homepage then OK your way out. If this helps I would then update the virus definitions and run a full scan in SAFE mode.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
does it read....
by dyspyzthespyz / May 28, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

something like this....
?Error #317 ? Microsoft Windows Security Warning X
X Your Windows is corrupted with spyware virus.
You must patch your PC urgently to protect your system.
Private info is accessed by ports:
You can patch your PC for free now and delete all spyware viruses. Click OK to chose and download free spyware removal using AntiSPY ?
?
if so read...http://cs.nyu.edu/~vs667/articles/hotoffers_removal/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.