Phones forum

Question

Straight Talk

by thatotherdude24 / June 21, 2012 3:24 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Samsung Precedent from Straight Talk. I was under the impression that Straight Talk used Verizon towers but it appears this one is on Sprint. Sprint has no service in my area, is there any way I can make the phone run on Verizon by flashing it or anything?

I got the phone used to returning it is not an option.

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Straight Talk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Straight Talk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
ST Android phones...
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2012 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Straight Talk

use Sprint service AFAIK.

I believe ESN cloning is illegal, so that's likely a no-go as well.

You will either need them to let you exchange the phone for one that works where you reside, or buy a new one out of pocket. Did you buy the phone from ST or from a private party?

Collapse -
by thatotherdude24 / June 21, 2012 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: ST Android phones...

I bought it from a private party. I called ST and they had me updated the profile and PRL on the phone, it still didn't get signal and was told to wait a few hours and it would get full signal.....still nothing.

Collapse -
Ouch!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Since you didn't get the phone from ST, all bets are off.

Any chance of returning this and getting the money back?

Collapse -
by thatotherdude24 / June 21, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch!

The person I got it from said it worked for them which is why I'm confused

Collapse -
It needs to work for you, not them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

And since the phone was not purchased from ST, support may be non-existent.

Collapse -
Answer
No you cannot
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 4:40 AM PDT

If Straight Talk doesn't have roaming agreements w/ Verizon in your area, there is nothing you can do to force the phone to use that network.

Collapse -
by thatotherdude24 / June 21, 2012 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: No you cannot

I know of many other people in the area that do not have any problems using ST in the area.

Collapse -
Answer
Straight Talk
by STSara / June 21, 2012 8:58 AM PDT

Hi thatotherdude24, this is Sara from Straight Talk Wireless. I have read your post regarding your question if we can make your Samsung Galaxy Precedent runs through Verizon Network. Your Android phone will only be activated or work with Sprint Network. In addition this phone will only work with the Straight Talk Unlimited Service Plan. If you want an Android phone that works with Verizon, we have the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. If you have further questions feel free to email us at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com.

Collapse -
So in other words...
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2012 3:58 PM PDT

...the OP didn't visit the ST web site to read the fine print. Oops.

Collapse -
Answer
Straight Talk's Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Uses Verizon Towers
by cellphonereviews / March 28, 2013 10:54 PM PDT

Straight Talk does indeed use Verizon towers (see review) for the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, their #1 selling prepaid smartphone since April 2012.

The only time you would be using other networks is when the phone is roaming.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.