Peripherals

General discussion

Storing ink cartridges

by The ancient one / October 5, 2008 11:20 AM PDT

I learned the expensive way not to leave my ink cartridges in my printer when the printer will not be used for many months. So the last time, I took the cartridges out and put them back into the foil and boxes that they came in and placed them in the desk drawer. This is a very arid country so the humidity might be as low as 10% and the temperature as high as 85 degrees. After installing the cartridges and trying to print there was nothing on the page, so I did what someone had once suggested and that was to run the cartridges under hot water. That worked, at least for one copy. Haven't tried any more yet. Would I be better of putting them in the refrigerator which is set on the warmest setting while I am gone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Storing ink cartridges
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Storing ink cartridges
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Time to switch to laser.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2008 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Storing ink cartridges

You'll find that laser printers work better than inkjets for harsh conditions like this. I find that the usual owners will never pop for some environmentally controlled storage (temp, humidity) so that's a dead end and inkjet cartridges cost less than such an unit.

Moving to laser fixed the complaints here.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by The ancient one / October 6, 2008 11:36 AM PDT

I know that in the long run, I would be better off, particularly if I did a lot of printing. I use to print much but I am trying to keep that down to a bare minimum. I don't look at the long run that much anymore because I am really "the ancient one"

Collapse -
Last idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2008 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Some report long term storage if they pack the cartridge in an evacuated zip lock bag stored in the fridge. The reasons why that works are fairly simple.
Bob

Collapse -
Too much investment for occassional printing.
by larry2012 / August 26, 2014 8:52 AM PDT

Moving to a laser printer is an expensive proposition. True the printers are coming down in price but the laser carts are still prohibitively expensive, especially when you are talking color and for casual printing. I print a lot of photos and have found the quality and durability of inkjet carts (Canon makes some EXCELLENT photo printers) are still affordable. A laser would eat up my printing budget pretty fast.

Collapse -
6 years later?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2014 9:46 AM PDT

Laser costs have dropped to the point where it's very affordable.

However my old estimate of a dollar per page for full page color prints still holds today (after printer, ink and paper.)

Why not start a new discussion?
Bob

Collapse -
Ink storage
by Willy / October 7, 2008 9:14 PM PDT

If you have access to a "food saver" type sealer, use that. Such sealer, vacuum the bag then seal as last step. Whether you need to put into freezer/frig. to continue the saving process is one you need to dwell on, but return to room temp. before use. I can only say, buy and use only what you need in the immediate future. There are capping enclosures for some ink carts, good for the short haul.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Do Not Use Vacuum Sealer bags!!
by dclawson / October 10, 2008 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Ink storage

You can use a "ziploc" type of plastic bag, but if you pull a vacuum on a inkjet cartridge you will in up with a mess!

Even if only a small amount of ink is extracted it will completely cover the outside of your cartridge.

Collapse -
Ink Jet Cartridges
by chs1951 / October 10, 2008 4:10 PM PDT

I live in a hot dry climate and am only home about half of each year so printer is idle a lot. I have found it best to store new and part used cartridges in "Zip Loc's" in the refrigerator.

Collapse -
Prefer laser, fast and cheaper
by lucky76 / October 15, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Ink Jet Cartridges

Try a laser printer, fast and actually cheaper per copy for black and white printing.
How long do you cook your cartridges in the oven after removing them from the frig before eating?

Collapse -
Storing Ink Cartridges
by bigbobt / October 11, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

My computer room is air conditioned and I buy cartridges in batch every six months. I have never experienced a dry cartridge in my sealed stock. As for open stock when not in use, I simply place a piece of scotch tape over the breather hole and a piece over the delivery hole, hence sealing them and then I place them in a plastic container and store them in the fridge. I have been doing this for approximately 15 years and have had no adverse reactions when re using previously open cartridges whether brand or generic. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and we are subjected to four seasons from very cold and dry to very humid and wet. Where did I come up with the storage idea? From my period as an ameteur photographer I learned early to store film (both exposed and unexposed) in a cool dry area to reduce colour degregation.

R Tucker

Collapse -
Food Poisoning
by mwooge / October 15, 2008 12:43 AM PDT

> refrigerator which is set on the warmest setting while I am gone

Careful. If the refrigerator isn't cool enough bacteria growth won't be inhibited. A trip to the doctor with food poisoning will cost a lot more than the pennies saved on the electric bill.

Collapse -
Two Types of Ink
by mwooge / October 15, 2008 12:48 AM PDT

I think there's two types of ink. One dries out and the other doesn't. My previous printer used carts that dried out if not used every week. My present printer, no problem.

My present printer is a photo-quality, Canon Pixma ip6700d.

Collapse -
Printer cartridges
by jcallas / October 15, 2008 5:21 AM PDT

Actually, instead of storing the cartridges, running a test page or a page of coloured print once in a while will keep the print head clear and the ink running. I have an extra printer that gets little use and I force myself to print a page every few weeks and that works well.

Collapse -
printing on a plotter is more expensive
by programmasters / January 13, 2012 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Printer cartridges

Printing once in a while is good for a a4 or a3 printer, but i have a A0 plotter, which is sometimes not used for several months. Cartridges keep clogging up and are very expensive, and printing a page every few weeks is a bit expensive paper wise(those rolls are quit expensive too).

Collapse -
Too much trouble.
by larry2012 / August 26, 2014 8:46 AM PDT

Instead of going to all that trouble, just print a test page once in awhile. That will keep the ink flowing.

Collapse -
Re: Storing ink cartridges
by rickypaser / February 9, 2015 6:43 PM PST

Thanks to all,
I have two printer in my office to using Printing. my first printer is working daily and another is some time to use when first printer stopped working so another printers works ink cartridges work long time but regular printer give me best quality of print , you have printer please use of them regular basis.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.