this scam pos on download.com. it ran a fake scan and used the old "buy
it if you want to get rid of the sixteen malware items it found"
routine. looked fishy and i was not going to buy it so i ran
malwarebytes and avg and no malware was present according to them. i
looked deeper into the reviews and i see this is a scam. bad form cnet, i
trusted you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: stopzilla is a scam pos malware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: stopzilla is a scam pos malware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LINK PLEASE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 8:08 AM PDT

The forum moderators I know would not offer that title.

Link please!
Bob

Collapse -
stopzilla scam
by alanhefner / August 15, 2011 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: LINK PLEASE!

Link to what sir?
the forum i was looking at was not on cnet, stopzilla was recommended to me and so i went to cnet to get feedback and download the program. as i have been getting great software and advise on cnet for many years i trusted that, if it is on cnet/download.com and has good reviews it must be ok. although i got a response to my complaint from stopzilla claiming it is not a scam, if it walks like a duck....if you call a sale a "registration" and claim that once you "register" (buy) then you will get the benefit, is this just a bad sales tactic? looks just like the other scam fake scanners out there. free scan buy our program to get rid of all of this bad stuff or you're screwed. i have been assured that's not the case but it sure walks like a duck. Thank you for the reply

Collapse -
Be sure to tell that other forum about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: stopzilla scam

But if you want to read what the usual moderators write, ask about Stopzilla in the CNET Spyware forum.

Not one moderator I know will write nice about it.

There is that Download.com site and it runs like most download sites offering whatever is popular, good or bad.
Bob

Collapse -
Locking duplicate thread...
by John.Wilkinson / August 15, 2011 12:45 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.