Site Feedback forum

stopzilla is a scam i trusted you cnet

by alanhefner / August 14, 2011 11:54 PM PDT

i cant believe i fell for it
i was told to get stopzilla at a forum so i went to cnet to see what it was about and since it was there with good reviews i thought it was legit. never again. i have trusted cnet for many years and now they put this scam pos on it ran a fake scan and used the old "buy it if you want to get rid of the sixteen malware items it found" routine. looked fishy and i was not going to buy it so i ran malwarebytes and avg and no malware was present according to them. i looked deeper into the reviews and i see this is a scam. bad form cnet, i trusted you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: stopzilla is a scam i trusted you cnet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: stopzilla is a scam i trusted you cnet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I always look harder at the negative reviews.
by oldad1955 / August 15, 2011 12:34 AM PDT

I have been downloading useful programs for free (mostly) from CNET for years and have com across a few that advertise free but when installed, only provide limited info and ask for subscriptions to get full use of the programs. The main types I have encountered are the Registry Cleaning programs! Just because the program did not perform to your expectations (Free and full operation) does not indicate a failure by CNET IMO. The downloaded program was free of virus or even ad-ware by your admission. The reviews on downloaded programs are an invaluable tool to preview the effectiveness of any program. Many good positives are a plus, but any negatives can indicate real problems but also may be fake complaint made by rival programmers to discredit competition. You have to decide, there are NO guarantees and after all, you are getting these programs mostly for free, offered by programmers trying to show their talent for later, commercial versions. CNET did not betray you. By your OWN admission, you simply did not read far enough in the reviews or possibly just went by the percentage values... pos-vs-neg . Enjoy the free products or just purchase the retail versions which have just as many issues.

Collapse -
fake scan
by alanhefner / August 15, 2011 12:51 AM PDT

my problem is the fake scan to scam you into buying. fake scan is fake. scam program is scam

Collapse -
and also
by alanhefner / August 15, 2011 1:04 AM PDT

(Just because the program did not perform to your expectations (Free and
full operation) does not indicate a failure by CNET IMO.)(The downloaded
program was free of virus or even ad-ware by your admission. CNET did not betray you. By your OWN admission, you simply did not read
far enough in the reviews or possibly just went by the percentage values)
are you involved in this scam?
did you not get the part about the fake scan?
i said no malware was found on my computer after stopzilla used a fake scan and said there was, to trick me into buying it
or maybe it was just that avg and malwarebytes are just missing all those items right?
i doubt it as they are up to date and i run them in safe and regular mode.
imo cnet is failing to keep scams off
anything that gives fake results is a scam. not malware, not a virus, but a scam!

Collapse -
Not a scam
by STOPzillaBen / August 15, 2011 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: and also

Hi Alan,

My name is Ben Groshek, and I am with STOPzilla online communications.

I can assure you that STOPzilla is definitely not a scam. One thing we should make clearer is that the trial version of STOPzilla does more than just scan and list infections. It actually quarantines the infections, which would explain why the other scanning utilities did not locate any when you ran them. STOPzilla does not list fake results. Any items identified by the scan would be the result of an infection being detected.

Please feel free to contact me directly via the information provided below. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about STOPzilla, and get you set up with a fully functional version of the program free of charge.

Ben Groshek
Email: ben at stopzilla dot com
Phone: 1-877-877-9944 ext. 128

Collapse -
That's a strange admission.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a scam

By your words, "the trial version of STOPzilla does more than just scan and list infections. It actually quarantines the infections".

So, the trial version of Stopzilla appears to find infections, but it seems from what others say here that the full version of Stopzilla has to be purchased before such, 'infections' can be removed.

What happens to those 'apparent' infections if the user decides not to buy the full version, and uninstalls the trial version?

Would you care to comment on those two points?

By the way, I attempted to visit your web site today at www dot stopzilla dot com/

My Firefox browser gave me this warning!

The Add-on that doesn't like your web site, WOT, tells me the following;

"Warning! This site has a poor reputation";

You may want to do something about improving your web site's and product's reputation.

Collapse -
Hi Mark
by STOPzillaBen / August 15, 2011 5:25 AM PDT

Thanks for the questions.

To clarify, during the trial period STOPzilla's real-time protection will quarantine any threats that are running in memory. This helps prevent any further damage to the computer. Any dormant threats are detected during the scan but not quarantined. Both are presented to the user in the scan results. If the user chooses to purchase STOPzilla, and chooses to "Remove," all threats are then quarantined, which can then be purged for complete removal.

If a user chooses not to purchase, the quarantined threats remain in quarantine, and the dormant detected threats remain on the computer. Once the trial period has expired, STOPzilla's real-time protection becomes disabled, which would leave the computer vulnerable to new threats. We strongly recommend registering to allow all threats to be quarantined, and purged.

Regarding the WOT, we are definitely lacking there. Improving our reputation is something we are working on right now. I do appreciate the feedback!

Thanks again,

Collapse -
So what you are saying is
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mark

those apparent threats found 'running in memory' are quarantined. If the user uninstalls your product, what happens to those threats the product found running in memory

You have already stated that, at the end of the trial period, those threats become active again. I assume any uninstall also allows them to become active again.

You, (your product), will only delete those threats if the user purchases the product.

What does that sound like to me? An ultimatum. Purchase our product, or we let loose these 'dangerous items'.

It seems a shame this trial period doesn't do the proper job, and then if the user likes your product, they can, if they wish, purchase it for full and comprehensive protection.

Collapse -
stopzilla scam
by alanhefner / August 15, 2011 6:44 AM PDT

i have fallen for the fake scan bs before and i have since used c-net as a trusted source for software whether it be free or not. i believe this is more bs and if it is not i think you should change your sales tactics. i was successful in uninstalling it as far as i know but you can never tell whats lurking in the system until it rears its ugly head. i wish i did read more of the reviews before i downloaded it because now i think the good reviews i read were planted there. i do think c-net should do something to prevent this type of extortion from tarnishing their good reputation. in the past i have recommended cnet to my mother and many others of whom i think are technically challenged and needed a trusted source of software and information. now i have to tell them to beware. now i feel challenged myself and will definitely be more careful. how many fake scanners are there out there that use the same tactic? if this is a legit program no one in their right mind would go through the "registration" (sale) portion of the install. you can get fake "free scans" all day long and they all find malware that you need to buy their programs to get rid of. take your scam off cnet Angry

Collapse -
Hi Mark
by STOPzillaBen / August 15, 2011 7:58 AM PDT

I think you misread my previous post. I never stated "at the end of the trial period, those threats become active again." This is not accurate.

Let me further explain the process. When STOPzilla quarantines a threat found running in memory or during the scan, the threat is removed from its location, obfuscated, and stored in quarantine. This renders the threat useless.

To be clear, when the trial is uninstalled, the quarantined threats are NOT restored.

I hope that answers any concerns you might have. Thanks again for the feedback about the trial version. I will definitely be passing it along.

Collapse -
Stopzilla just claimed infection cookie in 2012
by Recent_Purchaser / October 27, 2012 12:06 PM PDT

I just got Stopzilla recently and the number of infections it claimed seemed hard to believe, considering the order of running it in safe mode, regular mode, without connecting to the internet, etc. When reading through the cookies it had, it claimed one of them was from - in the scan completed in October, 2012. This was after it alternated prompting me with a toll free number to call if this message was seen again, and when I did, they tried to tell me they could give me a discount on a service that would help with this problem. Software was steering me to a "sales opportunity" and they asked, if I installed it for general protection or for an active infection? God help the poor folks who answered they installed it for an active infection - that is what they obviously prey on. I was suspicious of the software at the beginning when it claimed with a warning that it detected installed software that degraded my system performance and it recommended removal of both of these software programs. The offenders? Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes AntiMalware! (two software programs that have served me well and never steered me wrong like Stopzilla seems clearly to be trying to do). Explain these items, please Ben - while you make sure you lose my credit card number and give me a refund.

Collapse -
by drjbcjrea / August 26, 2013 10:19 PM PDT

If you have a dual boot system you will have to pay an additional fee for the other system. You are buying it for ONE computer but they claim that each operating system is the same as another computer even thought their is nothing in there documentation that specifically states that.
Stopzilla documentation is incorrect. They don't protect your computer only you OPERATING system.

Collapse -
Maybe you misunderstood my answer
by oldad1955 / August 17, 2011 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: and also

I, too have downloaded 'free' programs, specifically registry editors, only to run a scan an be told there were HUNDREDS of errors and then found out that the only way to correct those errors was to 'Purchase' their FULL program! I was angry myself, and uninstalled them and found REAL free programs that did what I needed or I purchase programs that would fit my needs. My Point was that CNET WAS NOT TO BLAME! The files I have downloaded from them have never had a virus (I believe that is what they guarantee) and many have been quite useful. If there were REVIEWS, Positive or Negative for me to research PRIOR to my downloading, then I would have known the problems and never downloaded in the first place! If those REVIEWS were available and I did not bother to read them, then the waste of my time was MY fault. I DEPLORE those types of programs. I also DEPLORE ANY so-called 'marketing-techniques' such as (microscopic writing) Unbelievable APRs on credit cards, loan accounts and many, many other products or services. Are they Scams? Apparently not by law or so many would not use these techniques. Unsavory practices-absolutely IMO to those who get caught up in them. Bottom line- Limited use/Demo type programs exist and to keep from using them, Read the Reviews or do online research before you download. One other thing, I DO NOT work for CNET, nor do I represent or WOULD I represent, ANY company that uses these aggravating 'marketing techniques'. I am just a user like yourself.

Collapse -
It is not an honest program!!!
by CareyShelton / November 1, 2011 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
There are way better anitvirus and security programs
by Nocturnallunacy / August 16, 2011 7:48 PM PDT

Alan, all I have to say is that there are way better security programs out there that are free. Microsoft Security Essentials for example. And Microsoft throws in a free root kit uninstaller and killer also. And if you're running windows, it'll repair your files if damaged via update. But the best and most secure security is yourself. Just because it says its a free scanner or program or whatever doesn't make it a good one. You've got to do your research before downloading and installing anything. Especially coming from a download site like cnet or filehippo or whatever. New viruses and malware and adware come out daily and not all scanners can pick them up so there will be instances where cnet or any download place may let a possible threat thru. I've been using cnet for years and I only recently had a problem after this "CBS" whatever it is took over. They allow a known adware program OpenCandy to be downloaded and installed in utility packages. And even tho I've been told that installing the OpenCandy is completely voluntary, there was absolutely no option given to me. It was the download and install and Microsoft Security Essentials sounding like it was going to war with the bomb drops and machine gun fire, etc. etc. lol. I am real hesitant when it comes to downloads from cnet now. And I will absolutely not download anything that comes from an outside source other than cnet.
As far as the stopzilla quandry. If you're worried about being reinfected with the problematic programs, just go to the folder that stopzilla uses for the quarantine and delete everything inside it. And from what I get from your statement is that you already had these problems before stopzilla so it may not have been stopzilla's issue. If it's a trial software, obviously you will need to pay before it does the operations that the paid version would do otherwise they'd get no one buying their product. That isn't a scam. Programs have been doing that for years. Microsoft let individuals have a release candidate of windows 7 but when win7 was released we still had to buy a license. That wouldn't make cnet at fault either. If you are having issues with rogue software on your pc then boot into safe mode after getting a antivirus program that will work, and do scans then and it should be removed. Here are a few of the good antivirus programs out there that you can use for free.
Avast antivirus
Spybot Search and Destroy
HiJack This
Panda Security
Microsoft Security Essentials.
all of which you can get from cnet.

All in all, just do your research first before downloading and installing programs and never ever do automatic installs from the internet. Always save to a folder first and then do a scan of it before installing.

Collapse -
Does anyone know how to uninstall it?
by madseason / October 16, 2011 11:46 PM PDT

It comes with an uninstaller that doesnt work. The windows uninstaller and IObit uninstaller cannont find the program and I get an error trying to reinstall it so I can uninstall. Any advice?

Collapse -
Try this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 17, 2011 4:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm running XP
by madseason / October 17, 2011 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Thanks for the help but that site basically says to use the windows uninstaller and it does not appear as a program in the uninstaller. I can see it in processes in the task mgr sapping all the resources.

Collapse -
Stopzilla is not a scam...
by dwf4646 / March 2, 2012 1:56 AM PST

I have used Stopzilla for some time and I find it to be superior to ANY other antimalware program. The commenter himself said it found malware the otheres didn't. I have to wonder which competitor he works for...

Collapse -
You appear to be in the minority
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 2, 2012 2:13 AM PST

and that is entirely your choice.

Stopzilla is not a tool that is recommended often in these forums, and never by the regulars helpers here.

Collapse -
Looks to be an avoid. WOT is very unkind.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2012 2:15 AM PST
Collapse -
PS. The reviews at are Python like.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2012 2:19 AM PST

Monty Python that is.

"Run away, run away!"

Collapse -
sounds like bs?
by alanhefner / March 2, 2012 10:24 PM PST

im not working for any competitors, and i still think the scan showed FAKE results like so many "competitors" in the fake scan business

Collapse -
Stopzilla is a scam, took the time to document it.
by n115764w / September 24, 2012 5:10 PM PDT
In reply to: sounds like bs?

I thought that a friend was getting ripped of by stopzilla and their tech support staff, so I took the system made a mirror copy of the drives and ran the stopzilla software. It flagged several files for being an issue after running their software, it reported that the files had been fixed, when the "fixed" files MD5 hash was compare to the cloned HDD they were the same. So either they did not fix the files or they lied about there being a problem in the first place. Put down the credit card, step away from the phone save yourself somemoney. Rip! off! Alert!!!

Collapse -
by drjbcjrea / August 26, 2013 10:18 PM PDT

If you have a dual boot system you will have to pay an additional fee for the other system. You are buying it for ONE computer but they claim that each operating system is the same as another computer even thought their is nothing in there documentation that specifically states that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.