Computer Help forum

General discussion

Stopping unexpected programs from running

by thatsinkingfeeling / April 20, 2006 4:01 PM PDT

I have been having an odd and persistent problem on my computer over the last one year. I touch-type reasonably fast but make errors now and then. Every so often, with some combination of keystrokes, I start MusicMatch Jukebox which starts up with an annoying fanfare and interrupts my work. In spite of typing multiple combinations of Cntrl, Alt, Shift with various keystrokes, I am not able to replicate the startup except through accident (since there are several hundred combinations). Is there any way to find out which set of keystrokes is starting the program? And how can I disable it? I checked the task monitor to see if mim.exe or mimboot or any other MusicMatch loader was running in memory when the computer boots, but nothing shows up. I am running Windows XP on a Dell Workstation with 1GB of RAM and a 2.20 GHz Pentium 4 CPU.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stopping unexpected programs from running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stopping unexpected programs from running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take a look at the...
by Edward ODaniel / April 20, 2006 4:30 PM PDT

properties for MusicMatch and on the shortcut tab you should see any hotkeys.

By any chance are you using a Logitech wireless keyboard? If so it has keys on it that are preset as MusicMatch hotkeys.

Possibly other multimedia type keyboards would also be suspect.

Collapse -
by thatsinkingfeeling / April 21, 2006 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Take a look at the...

Thanks, Ed. I already checked the Shortcut Tab on the properties menu of the MusicMatch program. No shortcut keys are assigned there. I had not thought of any keys assigned by the Logitech wireless Cordless Desktop Pro keyboard (which I do use), but checking that reveals that the only shortcut keys assigned are those at the top - and these keys are ones that I never go anywhere near. So the mystery seems to remain.

Collapse -
Unexpected programs
by tomron / April 21, 2006 1:17 AM PDT

Also check this LINK out

It may or may not help

Collapse -
by thatsinkingfeeling / April 22, 2006 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Unexpected programs

Thanks, Tom. That was something I had not tried. Started up MsConfig to check if anything was starting up. There was no MusicMatch. However, there was a music related program there - Mercora Internet Radio. So I removed that and rebooted. Unfortunately I have no way of checking whether this will solve the problem since I still have no idea what keystroke was starting up the Musicmatch program to start with. Am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome,thanx for posting back
by tomron / April 22, 2006 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Link
Collapse -
Getting rid of Mercora did not work
by thatsinkingfeeling / April 23, 2006 11:57 PM PDT

Just got Music Match starting again - twice in the last 4 hours. Went back and checked MSConfig. The Mercora stub is not loading. To summarize, so far, I have checked the Shortcuts key on the Musicmatch, the assigned shortcuts on the Logitech Multimedia keyboard and the startup files using msconfig. There are now no music related files on any of them. So the problem of Musicmatch starting unexpectedly every now and then remains! Sad

Collapse -
You might consider...
by Edward ODaniel / April 24, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

uninstalling MusicMatch---obviously that should prevent it starting spontaneously. Wink

Seriously though, if you uninstall it and it is an erroneous key problem it might well cause a system error to pop up that might point to a cause. If it doesn't, then after a couple of days reinstall MusicMatch and see if it starts happening again--sometimes a reinstallation will solve hard to pinpoint problems.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.