Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Stopping quicktime ?

by wmtyrance / February 23, 2006 5:54 AM PST

How do i stop quicktime from loading up at startup? I tried the msconfig thing, but it seems to only work for two days then loads back up. I hardly ever use it,but i seem to need it on my pc for some video i watch.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stopping quicktime ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stopping quicktime ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Stopping quicktime ?
by Tufenuf / February 23, 2006 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Stopping quicktime ?
Collapse -
Thanks
by wmtyrance / February 23, 2006 7:23 PM PST

Thank you, that worked out for me.

Collapse -
Wmtyrance, Quicktime Will Restart Each Time...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2006 6:17 AM PST

..you run the program. Two steps will prevent it from running normally at start up. First, open the Control Panel, then double click on the "Quicktime" icon, (the blue "Q"). When that opens, click on the "Advanced" tab, then UNCHECK the box that says: "Install Quicktime icon in system tray", then click on "apply", then OK.

Next, uncheck the "Qttask.exe" box in the "Msconfig/Startup tab" location. Restarting the computer will stop Quicktime from being started at boot.

Still, as I stated in the subject line of this poste, once you run Quicktime again, the CHECK mark in "msconfig" will be replaced and it will run again at start up. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to fix that. I've even removed the registry enty from the "Run" call..After using Quicktime again, it's replaced and the program runs at start up.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks Grif
by skizz / February 28, 2006 1:07 AM PST

thanks for the info Grif, was looking for this myself.

Collapse -
thanks for your help
by doctorski / April 4, 2006 11:32 AM PDT

I was able to get rid of quick time for good,

Collapse -
manage start up programs
by kncshn / March 2, 2006 10:28 PM PST

lots of programs will want to load on start up - get winpatrol, it notifies you whenever this happens and keeps a programs in startup. it's free. search for it on cnet and read reviews. i got the upgrade on one computer, but the free one is sufficient.

Collapse -
stop QuickTime in its tracks
by raburge / March 3, 2006 12:10 AM PST
Collapse -
quicktime alternative
by flashca1 / March 3, 2006 12:08 AM PST
Collapse -
QT Alternative on Win2000 OS
by W#8yT1vx5Nh9SJ / August 6, 2008 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: quicktime alternative

Is QT Alternative compatible with a Win2000 OS?

Collapse -
An Older Version Of QT Alternative, Yes..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 6, 2008 9:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
64 Bit Architecture
by W#8yT1vx5Nh9SJ / March 3, 2009 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: quicktime alternative

Does anyone know whether or not older software like Office 2003, and the like, will run OK on the new 64 bit OSs?

Collapse -
Please Start Your Own Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: 64 Bit Architecture

Since your question has NOTHING to do with Quicktime, which is the topic of this thead, starting your own thread will get more and better responses. To start your own thread, click on the link below which takes you to the main "newbies" forum page, then click on the "Create a new thread" button in the upper right section of the page.. Remember to give all needed information such as the operating system, etc.

As to your question, the easiest way to determine program compatibility for 64 bit operating systems, is to check the program manufacturer's system requirements. Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't really clean on "Yes, it's compatible" but then again, it doesn't say "No, it doesn't work on 64 bit". Generally though, most 32 bit programs will work on a 64 bit system as long as the appropriate 64 drivers are installed. In some of the older software, if you can't find it on the formal System Requirements page, then Google it..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129

I find this at Google regarding Vista:

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_RTM_Software_Compatibility_List#Office_Tools

https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/workswithlist.aspx

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
handle quick time and all start up easy
by hothta / March 3, 2006 3:02 AM PST

i use winpatrol for all my start up and explorer needs
it is a great program that allows you easy access to the ones that are on your pc and helps stop them from loading on startup when downloading or using is easy to get and use address is winpatrol.com enjoy you will like it

Collapse -
QuickTime
by swathingscientist / March 7, 2006 8:29 PM PST

May I please make a suggestion?.Leave msconfig alone,always.The more you fool with msconfig,the longer and more bulky it gets and you can't delete any items from ir.
The only REAL GOOD feature to either stop or allow to start the various programs on your computer is to go to Download.com and get yourself a program called:
Start up Inspecter for Windows.Every program or feature that is presently running on your computer when this program is installed will have a green checkmark beside it.Any programs you want to permanently stop from running,simply remove the check mark,when your done,click on "Apply"and you will no longer see those programs when you boot up.It's easily changable if you want something back simply by replacing the check mark.As you add more programs or features to your syste,they are automatically added to Start Up Inspecter.All programming is controlled from here and as I said to start with--leave msconfig alone.Just my considered opinion.Thx.SS

Collapse -
Disagree...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 8, 2006 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: QuickTime

It's not difficult to remove items from "msconfig". I'm also not sure what you mean by: "The more you fool with msconfig,the longer and more bulky it gets." Certainly, start up items will remain there until their associated programs are unistalled but once they are uninstalled, the entries are removed. On those few occasions where the msconfig entry is not correctly removed after an uninstall, a simple registry edit will make it go away.

Although some folks prefer using a variety of programs to perform the same job as something else already installed, there's really no reason not to use the System Configuration Utility to limit those programs that reside there. ON Windows XP and 2000, it's also convenient to use the native "Services" console to eliminate start up programs..

But each to their own.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
not true
by reduct101 / March 6, 2007 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: QuickTime

You can remove dead or duplicate msconfig entries by removing them from the registry.

You can look for the dupes in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig (there are a couple of subfolders: services, startupfolder and startupreg where you will find the offending items)

Make sure you back it up first, of course...

However, I recommend the sysinternals equivalent AutoRuns - it's more complicated, but it's the most comprehensive program of its type by far

Collapse -
Couple of methods to stop QT at startup.
by Jiriki / January 27, 2007 12:40 PM PST

Use regedit to delete the value of the QT key in the registry (not the key). HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run. QT checks for the Key, not the value and will replace if the key is gone. However, if you do an update to QT or iTune's the value will get re-written.

Next option right-click on the Run registry key, choose permissions and remove all users (even SYSTEM) access to write. Leave READ. This will prevent any program from adding or modifying the Run Entries. When you do want something to add it's items, give the system and your account WRITE access during install and remove when done.

Lastly, regarding the remark about not using MSCONFIG. They are correct that it won't help you much here as it moves the Key (not the value) to the disabled list thus, QT/iTunes will replace the key when found missing. However, MSCONFIG is normally a great way to monitor your startup environment. It does not become big and bulky unless you choose to install lots of crappy programmed applications that constantly check to see if "their key" is in the RUN. Use the setting permissions tab to stop this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.