Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Stop my students from changing my desktop?

by cinozzy / September 27, 2004 1:39 AM PDT

I work at a small school with limited tech support. Our lab has been updated with 6 new dells on xp and 2 on 2000 perfessional. The problem i'm having is the students keep changing the desktop. Is there way to block there acsses to changing screen savers, fonts, homepages, etc. Iwould like them to remain protected. I been to other schools that would not allow them to right click on the desktop to change anything. Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stop my students from changing my desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stop my students from changing my desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Stop my students from changing my desktop?
by Michael Geist / September 27, 2004 3:50 AM PDT

Setting up User accounts for the little buggers might be the way to go. Access Control Panel and open up User Account, or research it in Help and Support.

Collapse -
by Yew / September 27, 2004 4:06 AM PDT

You can, but the only effective way I've seen it done is with the use of a rather expensive Domain server.

The best solution for a situation such as yours I think, is to reimage the drives every time they boot. In essense, they are formatted every reboot, all settings going back to the defaults.

You can use a program like partition magic to set aside some disk space if you want the students to be able to save things to the system. Otherwise, just require they have a floppy or USB flash drive sort of device to save anything. Then they can mess around with the settings all they want, and it's as simple as a reboot to fix.

Collapse -
by cinozzy / September 27, 2004 6:15 AM PDT

How do i set that up? How do i set the computer to reimage each time it reboots? the students are only able to save to floppy so that would work. If things were saved they would be lost right?

Collapse -
by Edward ODaniel / September 27, 2004 7:00 AM PDT

You need to assign accounts with passwords and limit permissions.

You can use Security Policy (a subset of Group Policy) that can be used on stand alone computers. gpedit.msc and here is a pdf file on using Group Policy http://www.osborne.com/networking_comm/0072129484/0072129484_ch01.pdf

Here is a link for local restrictions http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-1040230.html

Also this link might be handy:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

Also make it a habit to place the students user accounts in Security Groups which allow easy setting of permissions and user rights.

You MUST be aware however that the user must be restricted from using the registry editor AND must have ONLY read permissions to portions of the registry. As long as they won't be adding programs you can generally just give read only for the entire registry.

The important thing is for you to LEARN what the restrictions are for and how to accomplish them BEFORE trying them to avoid making systems unusable.

Last but not least have you tried telling the students that you do not want them customizing anything?

Collapse -
by cinozzy / September 27, 2004 7:31 AM PDT

Most of that stuff is beyond my knowedge. Is there a simple way to hide the control pannel, and the ability to right click?

Collapse -
by cosmonet / October 8, 2004 1:00 AM PDT

Dear
There are two ways to do it?
One is with in windows settings of group policy as you can see below?

Go to start , Run and type gpedit.msc and press enter ,
This will allow you to choose your preferences
Go to Administrative Templates , choose Desktop ,
And then choose disable adding , dragging , droping etc??

This will solve your problem ..
See all the other iptions what is better for you !!

The other way Is Professional !
It is with a program called Deep Freeze .. is made only for schools ?.
and is ideal for you !!
What this program does you set the PC with all your settings the way you want it to appear to the children or users ..
Then you are freezing it there.. so anything they are doing it only temp .. as the pc is frozen !!
All you have to do is to restart it and is back to normal the way you have set it up !!
Keep well
Cosmonet

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / September 27, 2004 7:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
by percy / October 8, 2004 1:33 AM PDT

First you say you have limited Tech support. How are the machines administered? Are you attached to a server somewhere, or the systems peer to peer? Your tech support person should be able to answer these questions. Your tech support person should be able to do the necessary group policy settings, if for no other reason than to save him/her-self from constantly having to reconfigure the machines. If your located near a community college, or a university, they may have a computer club that would be willing to help. They often do community service projects. Another posibility is to check with the parents, you may find you have a GEEK in the group who could help you with the problem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.