Computer Help

Question

stop internet explorer running in background

by purpleboo14 / September 22, 2013 8:55 AM PDT

Hello, I am using windows 7. I don't use IE as it crashes all the time. I can't stop it running. It uses up a huge amount of temporary files. It is not listed in 'processes' in Task Manager as iexplorer.exe. It is not on my programs list either. I installed Auto-run but can't stop it from there. Someone did find it and clicked 'suspend' but can't remember where that was. It started again anyway, maybe from restarting computer. I tried MSCONFIG but it's not listed there either. Please help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: stop internet explorer running in background
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: stop internet explorer running in background
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You must have some kind of malware
by wpgwpg / September 22, 2013 9:52 AM PDT

I'm running Windows 7. I just checked my Task Manager & I don't have ANY Iexplore tasks running. So I believe you must've gotten infected with some kind of malware. I would download MalwareBytes and get it up to date, then boot to Safe Mode and do a full system scan with it and your antivirus program. If that doesn't do it, here's Cnet's Grif Thomas' recommendations at this link:
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5495532
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
confusion?
by James Denison / September 22, 2013 3:34 PM PDT

Could you be confusing explorer with iexplorer? Explorer is supposed to run all the time. Where are you seeing all these "temp" files? Are you able to link to a screen capture of them?

Collapse -
re:confusion...
by purpleboo14 / September 23, 2013 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: confusion?

Hello,
I have since learnt you can't stop IE running as it's integrated into the system, Windows 7.
When I use CCCleaner to delete files, there is always a large amount of IE files there although I never use it as my browser.
I thought this may be slowing down my computer as it freezes after a couple of days of being constantly on with quite a few tabs open. I know doing this uses up my memory.
That's how i like to use the internet.
Maybe, I should buy more memory?
What do you think?

Collapse -
Re: more moemory
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 23, 2013 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: re:confusion...

I'd first solve your problems with IE running unexpectedly.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Removing Internet Explorer
by James Denison / September 25, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

Since I have XP on a computer, and normally use Linux instead, I decided to see how hard or easy it would be to kill internet explorer and what problems might result from it.

First I opened a Search box from the Start Menu and had it search for iexplore.

There were quite a few of them. Some were leftovers from a Vista install I never completely removed. I had been thinking of putting W7 on over it later perhaps, so left all it's files after putting XP back under it's own bootloader. Also it seems new iexplorers don't remove old iexplorer files and there are copies left in upgrade files, etc.

So, I changed the name of iexplore.exe by adding a dash and in seconds a new copy of it appeared in the "Program Files/Internet Explorer" folder. I did the same, adding another and another dash and each time windows would put a new copy of iexplore.exe into the folder, all this within a minute's time.

Well, now it had my undivided attention, LOL. Never being one to give up easily I began searching around at all the various copies of it and discovered the DLLCACHE is where the copy was coming from which would quickly replace it's loss in the Internet Explorer folder. It would not delete while using the Windows Explorer aka File Manager, so I opened a command box (cmd at the Run prompt) and did "cd" to the folder and deleted it that way. I also then while in command box deleted the copy of iexplore.exe in the "Program Files/Internet Explorer" folder. That did it, it was gone. I did get a message asking to restore it, but I just clked on Cancel.

Just to be save, I also had to open a command box to delete the copy of it in the "Windows/Prefetch" folder, since that wouldn't delete using the windows file manager. I don't know if that was necessary, but I didn't want to do a reboot, have that "fetched" and have to do the process above all over again.

I rebooted successfully. No problems. I clked on the Internet Explorer button and got the following, showing it was no longer active.

I DID NOT remove the Internet Explorer folder since the Connection Wizard is in there and all I wanted was to disable the IE, which is now accomplished. I rarely use it anyway, prefer Firefox. If I need it for something, I can return one of the renamed copies to proper file name and then disable it again as desired.

I did create a new text file in the Internet Explorer folder and renamed it iexplore.exe with "read only" set for it, just in case. Hopefully any update which includes another copy of it will at least ask before overwriting it.

It has not affected my ability to FTP using Windows File Explorer. It has not stopped ability to use Internet Options settings either.

Collapse -
Nice.
by mchainmchain / September 25, 2013 12:42 PM PDT

Also very smart. Happy

Now what about Windows Updates? Does that work now?

In any case, quite the workaround for the latest exploits reported for IE 8 & IE 9. Can't exploit what is not runnable. Cool

Collapse -
Yes, I just checked updates
by James Denison / September 25, 2013 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice.

I entered the Help area and had it check for updates. There were 9 optional I'd not installed. Once I had that Search 4 installed and hated it so much I uninstalled it and restored the regular Search XP came with. Some other .NET stuff there. I don't need the SmartCard upgrade. I found one I was willing to test, the updated Certificates, so I clked to do the upgrade and it did without problem. The only problem I had was wanting to read the Detail on one upgrade which was a link back to a microsoft page and it opened up in Firefox and only showed Print and Close and the rest of the page was blank.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/windows-update-After-IE-removed.jpg

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.