Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} ..... 0x0000135....

by pablobra / August 17, 2007 4:46 AM PDT

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and I'm recieving this message when trying to strat Windows XP
Blue Screen msg
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has benn shut down.

All my hardware are good (I have passed all Dell test)
I try to logon as Safe Mode, and Last good configuration. Did not work
Please nedd help ASAP.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} ..... 0x0000135....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} ..... 0x0000135....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: fatal error
by Kees Bakker / August 17, 2007 5:00 AM PDT

I didn't visit any of the links in http://www.google.com/search?q=c000021a+%22fatal+system+error%22+0xc0000135
but they might contain the solution.

If it isn't an hardware issue (unknown at the moment) using Dell's system restore CD/DVD to bring your system back to its initial state will surely help. It might depend on what Dell gave with the machine if you can do a repair install or a clean install without formatting; both options should save your data. But - if you have them on a backup - losing them temporarily wouldn't be serious.

As I said, I didn't study the hits. So just as well there is a simple repair (like a system restore from the recovery console).

If it turns out to be a hardware error, the machine will need to be repaired.

It would be interesting to read your findings.

Kees

Collapse -
DELL missing hal.dll stop: C000021a status 0xc0000034
by sgi51 / February 11, 2008 10:10 PM PST

Greetings - please help !!!
I have Dell Inspiron 6400 Window XP Laptop with Media Direct.
By accident (instead of power button) I pressed media direct - and then when I realized my mistake - I selected EXIT.
After that I powered on the computer and got message: file is missing or corrupt <Window root>\system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
I called Dell support and they told me that I need to re-install the whole OS (they tried using Window CD to no avail).
The I spoke to one other person, went into Repair option and was able at the prompt to get to C drive (cd c:) and then run chckdsk /r. eventually system come back and after I exited and powered off on on the system I got STOP: C000021a with status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
I spoke with dell again - we went to the repair and saw C drive now available (with bootcfg /list). I added the partition with option "/fastdetect" and still getting blue screen with STOP: C000021a.
I know that my drive is good, I have some critical files which I cannot afford to loose - please hel and let me know what I need to do to get my OS back. Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
Is it under warranty?
by fjord_fox / February 12, 2008 1:27 AM PST

It sounds like you need to send it into the shop to get if fixed. But first, to save your critical files, you will need to take the hard drive out and hook it up to another computer as "a slave" and then copy all of your files. There is an adapter that you will need to buy to hook it up to to a desktop computer. I don't remember what it is called, but perhaps your friendly local computer store would be able to help you with that.

If it is not under warranty, and if you want to try to fix it yourself, then you probably need to reinstall everything. Did it come with a pack of Installation CDs or a Recovery CD? If not, it is probably all on a hidden partition on your laptop. To access those files, you need to look in your start menu and look for a folder that has your manufacturer's name on it. In this case, it would be Dell. Somewhere in that folder, you should find a link that says something about restoring your laptop to the state that it was in when you bought it. This will completely format your hard drive and start you out fresh again--just as it was when you opened the box. HOWEVER, since it DOES format your hard disk before re-doing it, your critical files would be erased, so be sure to retrieve them before you do this.

Once you get your laptop working again, I would seriously recommend you buy either Acronis True Image or another good backup program and use it often. Then, the next time this happens, it would be easy to fix--by just running the backup program. If you want to partition your hard drive, the Acronis Disk Manager Suite is a good program too.

Collapse -
You may want to forget that warranty. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2008 1:35 AM PST

In almost every case they wipe out the drive as that reinstall the OS. But let's tackle one issue at a time.

1. The files you can't lose.

My favorite solution is a boot cd such as you read at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm We can use newer versions that have USB memory stick support and it's no trouble to copy those files out.

2. The files you can't lose and a possible repair method.

My next best trick is to replace the hard disk with a new one and then use the restore CDs. After that is all done, the firewall and antivirus installed we add the old hard disk either in some USB enclosure or in the desktop on the slave connection and get the files copied out.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.