Computer Help forum

General discussion

Stop:C0000218 unknown hard error

by shamus747 / November 3, 2008 2:44 AM PST

Currently using a dell 4400 windows xp3 media.Computer is about three years old.Recently after a restart, a solid blue screen with the following message appeared in the upper left hand part of the screen: Stop:C0000218 Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

Was able to reboot in safe mode, but can't get much beyond this.Does anybody have any idea what needs to be done to fix this machine? Is this a corrupted registry or drivers gone bad?Help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stop:C0000218 unknown hard error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stop:C0000218 unknown hard error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Seen The Microsoft Article About The Error?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 2:58 AM PST

There are a number of possibilities with this one.

I would start by opening the computer and making sure all cables are connected well by reseating them.. Next would be to troubleshoot using the article above.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Me too...
by GridUser / November 30, 2008 8:54 AM PST

My son's Dell Dimension E310 desktop is having the same problem. I am using it in safe mode right now, and am able to do a few things. When he starts it, he gets the BSoD and the Stop: Unknown Hard Error 0000218 message. I have bought a registry fixer (RegCure) and run it several times. It keeps fixing the same errors over and over. It says the errors are fixed but they must not be. I ran the Dell Diagnostics tests during dinner tonight but it didn't find any errors, even with the hard drive. I tried to run the chkdsk/r in command mode but got an error message saying: The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because volume is in use by another process. I have tried, repeatedly, to follow links to the knowledgebase, but I keep getting a message saying that the software can't establish a connection with the server at The computer belongs to a 16 year old boy, so who knows where he's been and what he's downloaded. I'm about to try an antivirus program (probably should have done that first, I guess). Any ideas? Thanx.

Collapse -
(NT) And You're Tried The Sugggested Solutions?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 30, 2008 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: Me too...
Collapse -
Me t
by GridUser / November 30, 2008 11:04 PM PST

Yes, I've tried all the solutions I can, and the ones I mentioned in my post, as well. As I mentioned, for whatever reason, every time I try to follow a link to, I get an error in IE, so I can't read the articles there.

Collapse -
Can you try a new hard disk?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 3:01 AM PST and many other posts point to corrupt registries and hard disk errors. Since many want to save files on the hard disk my method has been to pull the hard disk, slip in a new one, restore the OS from Dell's CDs then add the old drive as a slave or in some external USB case.

Then the owner starts copying their files and installing their most used applications.
Collapse -
Me too...
by GridUser / November 30, 2008 11:08 PM PST

I don't have access to an internal drive but I have an external one I can use. Will that work? If so, what do I do? Also, I ran RegCure again a few minutes ago and it came out clean (relatively), this time. Oh yeah, my son seems to have lost his OEM WinXP disk. It's a Dell. Any ideas how to proceed without it (if we even can)?

Collapse -
All that can be replaced.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Me too...

I think has XP for sale, new hard disks too. Maybe you wanted a zero cost fix? If so then go install Linux.

Collapse -
by GridUser / December 1, 2008 6:01 AM PST

Thanks for the info. Before I buy another internal drive, can I use the external drive I already have?

If we switch to Linux, will all of our other software work? Is Linux just for "hobbyists" who know a lot about computers, or can mere mortals like me use it?

I thought Microsoft stoppeed selling XP. Should we put Vista on the computer instead?

Collapse -
The uptick to Vista is even harder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Replaced?
Collapse -
Linux (Knoppix)
by GridUser / December 2, 2008 1:12 AM PST

Thanks for your patience, with all my "simple" questions. OK, so no Vista. That's probably good b/c he only has 1Gb of RAM. Are you saying he only needs the Linux if he needs to recover files? If so, then I can skip that step b/c he saved the few files he had to a thumb drive. Then it sounds like I still need to find a new copy of WinXP somewhere, to reload the OS. Is it still available?

I have a feeling that he may have some kind of virus b/c it is acting so weirdly. Whenever I try to go to a website that might help with the problem, I get some kind of error message, saying the server is unavailable, or something like that. I have no problem getting into the same websites, however, on my other computers. In fact, I bought a copy of BitDefender, to put on the computer. I had to go to another computer and save the EXE file to a memory card and then take it upstairs to his. Then, when I tried to install it, I got an error message, telling me there was a problem installing the software. The dialog box suggested running an online scan. When I attempted that, I got another warning about not being able to do that. Doesn't that sound suspicious?

I did go into Task Manager and disable a bunch of programs that had the word McAfee in them. Could that cause a problem with installing BitDefender? Also, I went into Add/Remove Programs and got rid of some unneded programs. One of them was a program called burrito.exe. My son didn't remember installing anything like that, so I removed it. When I ran AdAware, it flagged burrito.exe as a problem and tried to remove it. I don't know if it was successful. Could burrito.exe be some kind of malware?

Sorry, for all the questions, but I'd really like to be able to get this fixed for him. I'm his hero, don'tcha know?!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.