Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

*stop: 0x0000007B* error during xp setup before installation

by marq0330 / January 10, 2009 11:08 PM PST

Could anyone please help me. Everytime I boot the installation cd and it loads all the drivers and stuff I get a *stop: 0x0000007B* error. I have a HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr with a AMD turion64 X2 processor and a ATI radeon HD3200 Graphics card Plus 4gb of ram. It came with windows vista home premium x64 pre-installed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: *stop: 0x0000007B* error during xp setup before installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: *stop: 0x0000007B* error during xp setup before installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This has to do something with the hard disk.
by Kees Bakker / January 10, 2009 11:14 PM PST

Either it's defective, or it's a SATA hard disk for which you didn't download the right driver when asked to press F6 for it. A workaround might be to tell the BIOS to treat it as ATA. Of course, it depends on the BIOS if it offers you that option. is an example.

Collapse -
tryed it but no success
by marq0330 / January 10, 2009 11:51 PM PST

Ok i pressed f6 and at the end of the process it told me that it couldnt find any supported mass storage devices. I do not have that option in my bios you told me about. I do have the iso of the windows xp installation disk so i can modify it so is there anyway of just dumping the drivers or whatever files it needs in the right place in the iso and running it? If so could you please guide me in some way?

Collapse -
Why bother with an ISO?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2009 11:54 PM PST

That's likely to be some tampered with version of XP so let's start with the shiny XP SP2 CD from microsoft and try this the right way.

Collapse -
Vista to XP Downgrade 0x0000007 B error resolution
by orfanos / May 31, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5918 notebook preloaded with Vista that I wanted to put XP on. I kept getting the 0X0000007(B) error shut down after trying to load XP. I finally succeeded in loading XP after I change the BIOS setting for the Hard drive from ?SATA? to ?Compatible?, the only 2 choices. (The BIOS is an H2O, according to the Vista start up screen).

Also, during the XP install I used the ?F6? Raid drivers option during the XP install and I got and used the SATA drivers from the Toshiba website and put them on an external 3?? floppy USB drive. But the SATA drivers didn?t cure the 07B error until I changed the BIOS HDD setting to ?Compatible?. (Oh, and I did put in a new SATA hard drive after trying but failing to install a dual boot and trying and failing to wipe the old drive, hoping that a new drive would work ? but even the new drive didn?t until I changed the BIOS. FYI, I may have been able to do a clean install on the original drive had I changed the BIOS setting but I may not have been able to do a dual boot, since the change in the BIOS MAY have affected Vista interaction with the HDD SATA setting.)

I have not yet run XP on this computer and I don?t know about other drivers issues. I just wanted to get this cure out to save anyone else my trouble of screwing around with just being able to install XP for more than 2 weeks.

Collapse -
*stop: 0x0000007B* error during xp setup before installation
by klickitater / December 29, 2010 7:01 AM PST

Changing the SATA Hard Disk to "ATA" fixed this. Thanks!

Collapse -
Kees was right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2010 7:17 AM PST

See post #2!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.