Windows 7 forum

Still stops at welcome screen

by jake7363_ / December 18, 2012 1:26 PM PST

I am using Windows 7 Pro. When I start up, Windows 7 is stopping at the welcome screen, even though there is only one profile - which has no password.

How can I fix this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Still stops at welcome screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Still stops at welcome screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Are you sure there is one profile?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 2:19 PM PST

Try a boot to safe mode and hope the hidden admin account shows up. A few people managed to get 7 down to a single account which is unsafe. But it's their choice.

If the spare account works, create a new user while you are there and try that account.

Collapse -
reWelcome Screen
by jake7363_ / December 19, 2012 4:34 AM PST

How does one verify that there is only one account, other than what is seen? I did a Safe Mode and there is only one account. I have also gone into Computer Management and manually disabled the Admin account. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I can do.

What I am trying to achieve is after I complete some automated back-ups, I want to have the unit shut down; then, I want an auto-start at a designated time. This is all set, except for the fact that currently, I would have to still click the profile to enable the unit to complete the Startup process. Even though I have very few (less than 5) apps that I want to begin at the start, there are several system processes that have to complete, taking a bit more time.

Since my unit is used for a variety of functions, it probably is more demanding for time, so that not having to wait for it when I am ready to begin work is a plus. Obviously, I can come down, start the unit and go back up for breakfast, etc. - but I would rather not have to. I suppose it is one of the reasons we own computers: convenience. Or has technology developed so far that I am expecting too much?

Collapse -
You just verified it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: reWelcome Screen

I can not help folk that walk into tar pits. Locking windows down to one lone account is walking into a tar pit which even Microsoft will have them reinstall the OS.

You continue on with subjects that I don't see in your first post so I'm unsure how they matter now that you have this startup problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.