Computer Help

General discussion

Still Cannot Save Pictures From WEB in JPEG Format

by WildWillJAX / October 25, 2004 5:44 AM PDT

I have posted my problem before and have not been able to resolve the problem as Follows:
When attempting to "RIGHT CLICK" on photo graphs, images or animations and "SAVE PICTURES AS" when online I cannot save in any other format (extension other than Bitmap or Art). These 2 type files are not previewable or viewable when saved on my system. Before this problem occured I was able to select from the pull down menue a variety of file extensions to choose from when saving pics/animations etc.(Jpeg, Bitmap,Gif,JPg etc.)
I am operating with Windows ME and IE 6.0. I have attempted (as suggested to empty (delete) all temp internet files and downloaded programs with no change. Can anyone tell me what OTHER corrective action should be taken?
Is this an Internet Explorer problem or another problem with Windows ME?
Any new help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Still Cannot Save Pictures From WEB in JPEG Format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Still Cannot Save Pictures From WEB in JPEG Format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Still Cannot Save Pictures From WEB in JPEG Format
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2004 9:14 AM PDT

Wild,

I haven't seen your other thread, so I don't know if what I say is just a repeat of what has been said before. if it is, I apologise.

I am confused about the problem and I have some questions;

1] When you right click and choose "Save As", (in IE it is shown as "Save Picture As"), at the bottom of the Save As dialogue window do you not see an option to "Save as type"? If you do, is there a pull down arrow? If so, what options do you have in the list?

This can be a bit misleading, because sometimes you can only "save as" the type of picture that is already displayed. For example, at the top of this page is the CNET logo, and next to that is a picture image of the word "Reviews". If you right click that and choose save as, you can only save as a Gif, or (strangely) "all files".

2] You say that BMP pictures are not previewable on your system. That is very strange as .bmp is the standard picture format for many things. Do you have "any" .bmp's on your computer? (Do a search. Goto Start > Search (or Find) and search for files using *.bmp . Thats a star, then a full stop, then bmp. There should be hundreds of bitmaps on your computer. Double click any of them and see what happens.

3] What happens when you double click a bitmap image? Do you get an error report? If so, what does it say?

4] Do you have any JPG's or JPEG's on your computer? Do a search as above if necessary.

5] Do any of these display when you double click them? If not, what happens?

6] Where do you save these images to? I'm not being nosy, but sometimes people cannot find images once they have saved them and they don't think it has saved properly. I'm sure you do know where you save them to, but are there any jpg's in that folder at all?

7] Have you used MSPaint? This is a simple drawing program and can be found in Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint. Open that up, goto File, then Open, and search for some bitmap images. When one is displayed, goto File then Save As, and see if you can save it as a JPG file. You should be able to from Paint.

Let me know what you find out.

Mark

Collapse -
by WildWillJAX / October 25, 2004 11:55 AM PDT

Mark:
Thanks for your interest and help. I will answer each of your questions by number, to the best of my ability.
No1. Yes, when I right click and choose "Save As" I do get a pull down menue "Save as type" The only choices that appear on this menue are ART and BITMAP.
In addition, right clicking on the CNET logo at the top of this page oddly gives me the multiple choices that you identified as GIF, all choices are GIF extensions.
No2. Yes I have BMP pictures on my system that were saved before this problem began to occur. If I double click on these pictures they load and preview and display correctly.
No3. Double clicking on Bitmaps that are already on my system work as they should. Any NEW Bitmap images saved by right clicking on and "SAVE AS" do not preview or display, I get the message "No preview Available". In Addition, If I right click on a JPEG image and "SAVE AS" bitmap in my pictures folder, when I place my cursor over the file (before clicking on it) the small file info window identifies the image as a JPEG (JPG) image!?
No4. Yes I have many JPEG's that I saved before this problem occured.
No5. All JPG or JPEG's that are currently on my system ie: saved before this problem started load and preview and display correctly.
No.6 I normally save all pictures in my "My Pictures" folder, however I have tried to "Right Click" and "Save Pictures As" in other folders as well to see if the problem would go away. No change, I get the same results regardless of which folder I save the image in.
No.7 Using MSPAINT as you suggested I attempted to save a bmp image as a JPEG. The pull down menue that appears when "save as" is selected only gives me the option to save the image as a bitmap (bmp) but gives me options as to the color properties ie: monachrome .bmp, 16 color .bmp,256 color .bmp and 24 bit .bmp.
In addition, if I attempt the same procedures on a previously saved JPEG image I get ONLY the same Bitmap options monachrome .bmp, 16 color .bmp,256 color .bmp and 24 bit .bmp.
If I attempt using MSPAINT procedures on an image that has been saved AFTER the problem "Right Click" "Save Picture As" has occured, I get the following error notice:Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file or it's format is not currently supported.
I hope my answers are clear in order to help YOU help ME.
Please advise
Thanks Again
Will

Collapse -
by WildWillJAX / October 26, 2004 12:26 AM PDT

All of the procedures and settings outlined in both of the threads that you provided have been met. No change has occured in my systems operation, still " No Fix", but thanks for the try!

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / October 26, 2004 1:00 AM PDT

1. The article [Q810978] explains that when you save an image in Microsoft Internet Explorer the image is saved as bitmap (.bmp) by default. This behavior may occur for the following reasons even when an image being saved uses a different format (such as .gif or .jpeg) when right-clicking an image on a Web page and then clicking Save Picture As. The file name that appears in the File name box is Untitled and the file type that appears in the Save as type box is Bitmap (*.bmp):

a. If a damaged program file (for example, an ActiveX or Java object) is downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder.

==and/or==

b. The contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder have not been purged recently, (Tools, Internet Options, and in the section titled "Temporary Internet files", Delete Files...).

2. When the Save Picture As option for a graphics file through Microsoft Internet Explorer is used, you may only be allowed to save the file as a BMP file even if the file is in another format -- for example, GIF or JPEG because "IE Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format if Username:Password Is Part of the URL (Q260650)", and for other reasons explained in this article.

3. The article [Q324761] explains that by default, graphic files, such as .jpeg or .bmp files downloaded using CompuServe or America Online (AOL), are compressed and that this option needs to be turned off.

Collapse -
by WildWillJAX / October 26, 2004 4:15 AM PDT

Once again, I have purged all temporary internet files, including those "off Line content", and I have deleted ALL downloaded program files using the tools available in Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, General Tab, delete files, delete cookies and under settings, view objects, all downloaded program files have been deleted.
Settings for AOL have been set to NO COMPRESSION of files.
These measures DO NOT correct this problem.
Thanks for the info......but repeating these steps over and over and over have no corrective impact on my problem. Any other possibilities?
Will

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 4:48 AM PDT

Well I'm stumped m8.

I can only think that there is a file or some files that are corrupted on your system, and if it were me, I would be looking at restoring system files, or even reinstalling the OS.

But that's not a task I would take lightly, and certainly not one I would suggest to you, except as a last resort.

I hope someone else comes up with a solution for you.

Mark

Collapse -
by WildWillJAX / October 26, 2004 9:05 AM PDT

Mark:
Thanks for the help anyway.
Will

Collapse -
by slybo / October 26, 2004 9:29 AM PDT

I have AOL and at one of the versions 6,7,or 8.0 I do not remember, I noticed that when I tried to save a picture I only got bitmap or art. I believe it was just an AOL thing. Art is an AOL file and that is what they want. I wanted to save the pictures as jpeg so to get around this what I did was to minimize AOL and then open internet explorer and use it for the web. When I right click on a picture with internet explorer I would then get the option for jpeg. Is this any help to you? I guess you know that if you have AOL you can use internet explorer for the web as long as you log on with AOL and keep AOL on but minimized. Good Luck sly

Collapse -
by Mary / October 26, 2004 1:28 PM PDT

If you are using AOL and only get bitmap or art as a choice you need to change the compress graphics setting to fix it. On 8.0 you go to settings, preferences,internet properties, AOL browswer and make sure the one that says never compress graphics is checked and hit apply and that will bring the jpeg choice back. If you are not using AOL I have no clue in IE what to do.

Collapse -
by WildWillJAX / October 26, 2004 2:42 PM PDT

Mary:
Thanks for your input, I am using AOL 8.0, and your suggestion has already been implemented in my aol settings and still does not correct the problem or provide a work around.
Thanks a lot again
Will

Collapse -
by WildWillJAX / October 26, 2004 2:39 PM PDT

Thanks For the TIP but this "Work Around" does not work on my system.
Will

Collapse -
by Mary / October 28, 2004 2:55 PM PDT

If that setting is on never compress graphics and you still can't save using the AOL browser then I have no clue. That setting always fixes it and I have never heard of that setting not working. The best thing to do is post in AOL and let one of the experts that know AOL help you.

Go here within AOL and try the one for browser questions. aol://5863:126/mBLA:486805 They should know how to fix it or maybe you will have to reinstall AOL. Also you might try keyword live help and talk to a tech. This is certainly a strange mystery and I would like to know how you get it fixed. Also do you have an older version of AOL on the computer? If so sign on with the older version and see what happens when you save from the web.

Collapse -
Photo format
by Phil Crase / November 7, 2008 12:40 AM PST

You are not likely to change a BMP to a JPEG/JPG from windows with an item sent as an attachment. You SHOULD be able to do it if you had the proper software to do the manipulation, Adobe Photoshop for one, there are a lot of photo editing softwares on the market. Firstly , save it to a doc/photo file so that you can migrate it to the software to be used for manipulation it may be a little tricky but should be doable.

Collapse -
by dratner / October 28, 2004 6:54 PM PDT

This is a common problem. Just go to IE's tools, internet options and delete temporary internet files.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 6:59 PM PDT

Dratner I think he has tried that already, a number of times.

Wild I have been watching this post for several days now and I am amazed that we haven't been able to help you correct your problem. My input was very minor, but you seem to have even beaten some high tech people.

Well done, Happy

Good luck with your search for a solution.

Mark

Collapse -
jpeg vs art vs bitmp files with 9.0
by racer427 / November 6, 2008 3:12 PM PST

It's an aol 9.0 deal. I'm trying to figure out who to back to 8.0 to eliminate this issue.

Collapse -
Recap. And an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 1:00 AM PDT

Scenario.

Windows ME, ONLY!!! IE can't save JPEG.

Fixes tried: Clear the Temporary Internet Files cache (we assume you've done that). Changed the AOL compression setting to Disabled and you DO NOT USE any dial up accelerator.

My next tries would be:

1. http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#mspaint_fix

Yes that's MSPAINT, but this issue can be influenced by these filters. I'd do the steps to fix MSPAINT and see if IE follows.

2. Run IEFIX again.

3. Try FIREFOX and see if it works.

Bob

Collapse -
by gilbs72 / October 29, 2004 4:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

I just get the main Microsoft "Search knowledge base" when I click on either of these links gilbs.

Mark

Collapse -
by slybo / October 29, 2004 6:44 PM PDT

Just do a search of the knowledge base using the numbers at the end of his links, numbers 810978 and 260650 to find the two articles. I looked them up just to read them. sly

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 9:52 PM PDT

Yeah of course. I should have tried that but was just too lazy or too stupid, Happy

Collapse -
by silverqueen / November 6, 2004 10:26 PM PST

I am having the same problem. I have tried everything that has already been suggested, with no resolution. Any other ideas? I am about ready to pull my hair out!!

Collapse -
Please list the items you tried.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2004 11:11 PM PST

Too often with 20 plus replies to read, a post like your missed an item.

Bob

Collapse -
Problem Solved...and a Tip
by silverqueen / November 12, 2004 10:05 PM PST

I figured out why nothing I tried was working...

I had one page pulled up with an image that I was trying to save. Each time that I would try one of the suggestions, I neglected to refresh that image before trying to save it again. Once I did that, the problem was fixed.

Collapse -
by kipowen / November 6, 2004 11:55 PM PST

Can you go back to a prior date and put your system back to where it was on that date? i.e. before the problem bagan? Perhaps that's your easiest solution. You can save files etc to a disc or use a flash drive to save files and then just add them back in after your system restore.

Collapse -
I can't save images in any format except bmp (Bitmap)
by PreciousInHisEyes / April 19, 2009 2:31 AM PDT

I have Windows XP I clicked on this messages only wondering what has happened that I can't save messages other than in bmp form. It's strange but I can go on say Google type in say cartoons in images. These images will save as they have been saved whether in jpeg or gif or png. But if I go into photobucket (PB) the images won't save from PB ..... they will save as bitmap only. I have animated images & they just won't save. Now if I go in groups on MySpace it's doing the same thing images only save in bmp format. If I go into someone's pics on MySpace they do save as they have been saved. I thought this might have been a MySpace issue but now I'm not so sure. Since I can save images in a persons pics on myspace.

Collapse -
jpg download problems
by scoobias / July 13, 2009 11:32 PM PDT

I am having the same problem but it didnt start until I upgraded to AOL VR. Now when I try to download a jpg image I get the error message that the file C:WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.hlp file is missing. Wondering where it might have gone and how do I replace it.

Collapse -
Problems from 2004?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2009 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: jpg download problems

You seem to have buried your post in a very old discussion. If this is XP go get your XP CD handy and try these ideas.

1. Run disk cleanup (doesn't use the CD)
2. Run SFC. Use your pick of articles from:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+SFC+SCANNOW
3. Call AOL if you suspect it's their software.

Good luck and try not to bury your pleas for help.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: jpg download problems
by Tufenuf / July 14, 2009 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: jpg download problems
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.