Computer Newbies forum

Question

staus connected to router but no internet access

by tolanimk / January 7, 2012 10:52 PM PST

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">After formatting my hard
disk and reinstalling windows xp (followed by the drivers) on my Fujitsu
Siemens laptop , I am unable to connect to internet. I use a linksys router and
connec to it by wireless. In the taskbar , the icon for the wireless network connection
shows that it is connected to the linksys router but i am unable to connect to
any website.Before formatting and reinstalling windows xp, I was using the same
laptop with the same router without any problem .Also, I am able to connect
to internet using another laptop through the same router . Obviously something
has gone wrong after reinstalling windows. Another thing I have noticed that
although the task bar icon of wireless network connection shows that it is
connected to the router, i am unable to get access to the router after typing
192.168.1.1 in the address bar of the internet explorer in the problem laptop
but no such problem in the other laptop . I have intel pentium processor and
internet explorer as my browser.<?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p>
</font><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">Can you please help ?<o:p></o:p>
</font><o:p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></o:p>
</font>

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: staus connected to router but no internet access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: staus connected to router but no internet access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
More Information Needed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 4:27 AM PST

It would really help if we knew the operating system being used, the model of the laptop, and the age of the computer.

1. If you connect the laptop to the router through an ethernet cable, does it work correctly? If so, then I'll guess you don't have the correct wireless adapter driver installed. Visit the computer manufacturer's website and download, then install, the correct wireless driver for your computer.. If that doesn't work, then visit the wireless adapter manufacturer's website and download, then install, an updater driver for your wireless adapter.

2. If you've incorrectly typed the wireless access password, you may need to delete the "remembered" connection information, then try to connect from scratch.. Unfortunately, since you didn't give us your operating system, I can only tell you the stored connection information is in the Control Panel-Network Connection properties, under the Wireless Networks tab.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
"formatting"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 5:34 AM PST

After the format, we install XP but then the fun begins. XP can't connect to WPA2 secured routers but may do as you noted.

There is no known fix except to get wired up and let XP update the 100+ patches (takes about a day) and then it might work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Check the IP address
by admtuyen / January 8, 2012 5:13 PM PST

Because you can't access to the router, I think you have an invalid IP address. You can check by the following command: ipconfig/all to see what is your IP. If you have no an IP address such as: 192.168.1.xxx, you need change it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.