Computer Newbies

General discussion

Startup starts EVERYTHING

by Bill McKenzie / May 24, 2009 3:03 PM PDT

My computer running XP opens every item on startup. I've been through run>msconfig>startup and disabled all but three things, clicked 'apply' and then re-started. But when I check, it hasn't had any effect and they're all still there. I've tried disabling everything, then re-starting and ticking those I wanted and but to no avail. Help please!!!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Startup starts EVERYTHING
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Startup starts EVERYTHING
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'd be better served disabling the XP services...
by Paul C / May 24, 2009 8:40 PM PDT

...you don't want or need. you do this by clicking Styart/Run and entering "services.msc" (no quotes) in the box and pressing Enter.

You'll then see a list of services. Some you can safely disable and others you cannot. How to know? Go to http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm to find out what you can do for your situation. NOTE: All this assumes that you've updated your XP installation to the latest configuration; if you've not done that, then I suggest you visit Windows Update and make sure your OS is fully updated before even thinking about messing with any services.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Collapse -
Thanks Paul
by Bill McKenzie / May 25, 2009 12:56 PM PDT

I did all that and find, after re-booting, that the startup tab in msconfig still shows everything ticked. Should this be so?
Bill

Collapse -
That should work....there's another tool called
by VAPCMD / May 25, 2009 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Paul
Collapse -
Yes, it should be so.
by Paul C / May 28, 2009 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Paul

When you disable a service using the method I posted about, it does NOT change the check mark in MSCONFIG, but rather stops the service from ever loading unless you run services.msc again and reenable that service.

Just don't worry about what MSCONFIG reports.

Collapse -
Helpful link
by jeff_windows_team / May 27, 2009 2:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Autoruns. exe
by Zouch / May 29, 2009 1:41 PM PDT

You might like to try Autoruns.exe, originally from Sysinternals until Microsoft bought them and now from Microsoft themselves. Very easy to use and more comprehensive than some tools. You don't need to install it, just run it.

You also migth want to try going to admin tools services and setting the services you don't want to Manual startup and then stop them. Your system should then restart with the services available but not running.

Collapse -
startup...
by ikswortso / May 29, 2009 2:05 PM PDT

Something no one has asked.....
What is in your startup menu?....click start>>all programs..startup

Is anything listed there?..if so..just delete them.
The other thing you might want to check is...see if there is a 'preferences' on the programs you are talking about. A lot of programs will have a box to 'run when windows starts'..
Uncheck that.

Collapse -
That's true as far as it goes, ikswortso.
by Paul C / May 30, 2009 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: startup...

However, Start/All Programs/Startup only shows those programs not in Windows that start upon boot. It does not show those services within Windows that start upon boot. The only reliable way to stop those services is to disable them by running services.msc as I suggested.

Collapse -
Thanks Paul and others..
by Bill McKenzie / June 4, 2009 8:19 AM PDT

I've done services.msc as suggested. How do I find out what programs are now running at startup?
Bill

Collapse -
The easiest way...
by Paul C / June 6, 2009 6:50 PM PDT

is to give your machine the three-fingered salute (CTRL-ALT-DELETE)immediately after you start it. That will start the Windows XP Task Manager. Then click on the various tabs to see what's running. If any of the entries are hard to figure out (as is likely), just enter them into your favorite search engine for an explanation.

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.