Computer Help forum

General discussion

STARTUP- - NECESSARY ITEMS

by MURIELF / May 21, 2009 3:12 PM PDT

Which items are absolutely necessary at start-up. Will removing items make computer faster. I have Windows XP. DSL modem. Also AOL seems slow to start. Is that AOL or my computer. Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: STARTUP- - NECESSARY ITEMS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: STARTUP- - NECESSARY ITEMS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Difficult to say
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2009 8:25 PM PDT

All computers are different, and all users have different needs, so giving a definitive answer is impossible.

Are you talking about start-up software in your Start > All Programs > Startup folder, or in XP's MSCONFIG > Startup tab, or are you interested in Services and Processes?

What you need in the MSCONFIG Startup tab are, firewall, one anti-virus, and one anti-spyware utility. What else you need is simply down to what you want to load up when Windows starts.

Will removing items make your computer faster? No. That depends on your computer specs, (you didn't say), such as processor speed and how much RAM you have. But removing unwanted items from startup will improve how quickly Windows boots up to its 'ready for action' state, eg, everything loaded, it is now ready for whatever you want to do.

As to AOL, what is it? If it is AOL's web site portal that opens in a browser, then do you really need this to load at startup? If not, just wait for Windows to load fully, then open your AOL browser and connect to their web site.

Mark

Collapse -
Startup
by MURIELF / May 23, 2009 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Difficult to say

If I remove item from startup, from your reply, I just go to that site when I want to. What does having in start-up mean then. Does it start faster. There are so many things I rarely use - I mostly use AOL. But when I start up computer in the AM, it takes a while.
I am not that computer savvy so thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Yep you've got it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 23, 2009 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Startup

By removing things like AOL from the Startup items, that does not mean you can never connect to AOL. You just do it manually once Windows has fully loaded.

In my view there is a misconception that adding software to startup allows it to load quicker. But many people think that. Windows still has to load fully to function well, but if its loading process is interrupted by other software attempting to load itself into memory, this process slows down, so making the startup longer.

The trouble is, much of today's software developers wants you to use their installed software exclusively of all other similar products, so they attempt to set the installation process to include, "load at startup". I look out for those options when I install software, and de-select them because then I make the choice of what software I want to use, and what software I want to load into memory at any given time.

So, by removing AOL from your startup items, your startup process should be quicker, and then you choose when you want to connect to AOL.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
if you are unsure
by quan7um / May 29, 2009 4:04 AM PDT

If you still haven't found which ones in the startup menu you want to run or not, then this program is very good and free. It will give you a description and a recommended setting. All you have to do is check the boxes or uncheck them... pretty easy to use. Note: If you are using Vista, then right click on the program icon and select run as administrator otherwise it won't work. Happy hunting.

Collapse -
Startup Programs
by MURIELF / May 29, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: if you are unsure

Thanks for answer but what is program to run. I am running Windows XP.

Collapse -
sorry...
by quan7um / June 1, 2009 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Startup Programs
Collapse -
STARTUP
by MURIELF / June 1, 2009 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry...

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.