Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

startup and shutdown sound problem

by armal / August 10, 2004 11:55 PM PDT

I lost sound of startup and shutdown and also recycle bin sound.How can I recovery sounds.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: startup and shutdown sound problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: startup and shutdown sound problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: startup and shutdown sound problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2004 12:01 AM PDT

Did you use the sound contol panel to test them?

You also can try System Restore to when it worked.

In closing, I saw this once when the owner accepted a driver from Microsoft. They didn't have a Microsoft PC.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: startup and shutdown sound problem
by armal / August 12, 2004 8:55 PM PDT

I have disable system restore,but I think maybe is something wrong in registry.Please help

Collapse -
I know it's an OLD post, but....
by Tom_SF / September 18, 2008 3:25 PM PDT

I had the same problem with no start-up or shutdown sounds and they didn't return until I had a situation in which I had to use the recovery discs and re-format my hard drive.

After all the updates and getting my computer back up to snuff, I took a look at the registry and wrote down some settings for the Windows sounds.

First, go to Run and type regedit to get to the registry. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, open "App Events", then "Event Labels". Look for "EmptyRecycleBin". Click it once and under the "name" "title" and "data" columns, it should say ab(default), REG_SZ and Empty Recycle Bin" respectively. The line below that should say "dispFileName" REG_SZ and "@mmsys.cpl,-5381"

The System Start and System Exit folders should have the same things listed except under "System Exit" it will say "ab(default), REG_SZ and Exit Windows" respectively. The line below that should say "dispFileName" REG_SZ and "@mmsys.cpl,-5846"

System Start should say ab(default), REG_SZ and "Start Windows respectively. The line below that should say "dispFileName" REG_SZ and "@mmsys.cpl,-5850". I never could figure out what corrupted the files in the first place, but these are what I read in the registry when the sounds work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.