Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Startup and driver crashes

by Imjusthereforonetopic / December 23, 2008 10:34 PM PST

Hi, I'm having trouble with Vista, and I hope someone here can help.

My computer is an Everex Stepnote XT5000T that came with Vista pre-installed (In all honesty, I would have preferred XP, but other than these problems and all the unnecessary programs it's fine). Yes, I know I don't need a laptop that big.
The only modding I've done is add a 2 GB RAM stick that's compatible with my system, and I installed it in the 0 slot after a mixup with the 1 GB stick in that one. (That caused crashes, which led to...)

However, due to mostly my own stupidity, I've had to wipe the computer four times now, and lost months worth of data. I still have the laptop's 'I ----ed up and I want to start fresh' CD, although that has problems.

Now, here's the actual problem (S):

1. When my computer is shut down or goes into sleep mode, it doesn't turn back on. The power and cd button with the cylinder button are lit, and it's making noises as if it's working, but the display remains black (Yet on). This is on top of the fact that occasionally it WILL start working and the Everex logo will show up, then proceed to tell me that there's an error and I could go to setup or resume. If I select Resume, an underscore blinks in the upper left for a bit before the message 'Missing Operating System' appears.
If I reboot after that, and it decides to work again, then it boots up as normal, admittedly with a prompt to go into safe mode due to it shutting down poorly last time.

2. Now the second problem might be related to the first. Occasionally my display driver will suddenly stop working, and the occasions seem random. Sometimes it will recover, other times I am forced to restart. The driver is called nvdldm (That Firefox spellchecks to 'goldmine?), or something similar- I can't seem to find out what it's actually called.

ANY help you guys can give would be appreciative. Thank you for your time!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Startup and driver crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Startup and driver crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Imjusthereforonetopic / December 23, 2008 10:59 PM PST

I'm trying to upgrade to Service Pack 1 but Windows Update is giving me an error code and tells me to delete some files. I do so, and run it again, only to run into the same error.

Collapse -
Tell us what Everex says about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 12:19 AM PST

I know some don't want to call it in but that recent HP rash of failures is being handled by motherboard swaps. Those that don't call in suffer with the issues and wonder why.

Collapse -
Check the forums
by yazmann / December 25, 2008 11:54 PM PST

If you can get to site you'll find answers to most of your questions (I say if, because it's been down since 12/22/08). If not, try and search for the Everex XT5000T support thread.

Regarding your display driver issues, if you read through the posts you'll find a lot of your issues are related to your Atheros wireless card (it shares the same IRQ as your Nvidia display driver and causes crashes). If you replace the wireless card with the suggested MSI PCI-e mini card (recognized as a USB device with a different IRQ) the random crashes should go away.

But, I would suggest reading through the above listed forums before doing anything.

I've had the XT5000T since April of 07 and just recently had to replace the wireless card because of the random Nvidia display driver crashes and that solved the problem for me.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Aww man
by Imjusthereforonetopic / December 26, 2008 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Check the forums

I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend any money. Ah, well.

Collapse -
Oh, duh!
by Imjusthereforonetopic / December 26, 2008 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Check the forums

And thank you, by the way!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.