Small business & Startups

General discussion

Starting a computer repair business

by wskel / January 29, 2006 7:22 AM PST

I would like to start a computer repair business but have some questions before I start. I would like to offer services to individuals in computer repair, network administration, and web design. Here are my questions:

Where do I get funding?
What kind of insurance do I need?
What kind of business license do I need?
How do I go about making a business plan?
Do I need contracts between individuals? Where can I find these documents?
Any other advice?

I know my audience will consist of individuals wanting these services and plan to charge only $35/hr.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Starting a computer repair business
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Starting a computer repair business
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some bits of advice...
by kschang / February 14, 2006 3:26 PM PST

<<Where do I get funding?>>

Your expenses is rather minimal, IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You are selling SERVICE, after all.

<<What kind of insurance do I need?>>

General liability should be enough. It's not as if you're doing life or death stuff. Grin

<<What kind of business license do I need?>>

That's a question up to your local city or county licensing board?

<<How do I go about making a business plan?>>

Lots of business plan writers on the market. Only like $100 or something.

<<Do I need contracts between individuals? Where can I find these documents?>>

I would say get an existing one by visiting a similar service center like those in CompUSA or BestBuy, and see if you can borrow a bit of their wording. However have an attorney look it over first.

<<Any other advice?>>

Get A+ certified, and Net+ if you plan to do networks.

Collapse -
Simple Advice..
by www.SBITS.Biz / February 19, 2006 10:43 AM PST

Where do I get funding?

Your own back Pocket, But like the other person said costs should be Minimal, Digital Volt Meter, Power Supply Tester, Some Known Good Components like Power Supply, Memory, Video, Sound Card etc.. a Good ESD Strap/Pad.. Etc...

What kind of insurance do I need?

Liability, Should be only about $100-$200 a year for you.

What kind of business license do I need?

Depends.. Doing Business or DBA yourname in some Cities requires no Business licence, Every City has Different Rules. (CHECK your City RULES) Like ours is $50 to get a DBA then $55 a year for license...

How do I go about making a business plan?
http://www.sba.gov/starting_business/planning/basic.html

Do I need contracts between individuals? Where can I find these documents?
Like the other guy said grab one from theGeeks or what ever they are called.

Any other advice?
Get some Really Nice Looking Business Cards.
Put Logo/Name on Car, Advertise in your Church NewsLetter... Start Small...

Guarentee your work, If you don't fix something, Don't charge them!

Collapse -
computer repair business bigger picture issues...
by joshua-feinberg / November 14, 2007 6:55 AM PST

Rather than focusing on individuals and scraping by on $35/hr with largely one-shot-deal customers, why wouldn't you want to focus on small businesses with 10-50 workstations that need to see you AT LEAST once/month... and are willing to spend $75-$125+/hour?

It's very difficult ever recoup your marketing time and financial investments on one-shot-deal customers and home users.

Fortune 1000 companies like Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, etc. can afford to "subsidize" the servicing of home users because of their ad budgets and branding issues.

However small computer repair businesses MUST work much smarter when it comes to choosing a target market.

If these concepts are new to you, you should really review some of the sample tips and excerpts on our Web site below.

Best wishes,

Joshua Feinberg, author/editorial director
Computer Consulting Kit Home Study Course

Message was edited by: admin

Collapse -
This is what at least we did.
by urielposselt / July 25, 2009 11:05 AM PDT

Funding.....

Actually this is not really need it. Unless you want to start a little bigger with a small shop. You can start with Mobil and on-site services that only require gas and your time.

Insurance....

Just liability is good, but if you want to be driven with a car that has lot of publicity from your business talk with your insurance company and get something better. Otherwise this is not really need it at the beginning at least.

Business Plan....

Well, if it works for you do it. I have seen and read about a lot companies that have succeed with or without a business plan. So is up to you if you want to expend time and money on this. My advice get out there and get your hands dirty and go from there. Computer repair is simple somebody call you to fix his/her computer. Go to their place, be polite and professional. Don't try to rip off people.

Contract between people....

Just make them to sign a paper that you show them that you fix their computer and your are giving them a certain amount of time as a warranty. I mean there are a lot thing you can worry, but just start and get out there things will come along.

Start as soon as possible don't hesitate. A good website is a good start, if you don't have to much money for a small shop.
You can check our Houston Computer Repair company website and have an idea.

http://www.spectraelite.com

Collapse -
This is what at least we did.
by tndach / September 23, 2009 11:40 PM PDT

Thanks for the information.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.