Small business & Startups

Question

Starting a basic business

by Jwoot12 / June 20, 2013 8:24 AM PDT

Ok here we go. A Canadian company wants to hire me(an American) but the work visa will take time. They need me to start a company just so they can pay me. Can anybody give me the basic steps? All I can find is "how to start a successful business" which I dont need. I need to know who to contact and all the other minimal steps just so they can contract it. After that I will close the business or whatever it is I need to do.

Im extremely stressed because I cant find any information. Im not even sure if its possible to do in 2 weeks that I need to do it in.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Starting a basic business
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Starting a basic business
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 8:44 AM PDT

I an also in same situation but here I am just a small business and it took no time at all. I did get a business license in my city (about 35 bucks a year) and to get paid I bill the companies in Canada.

It's all pretty simple. But you may have never been self-employed so my bet is you are over thinking this. You do work, you bill them, they pay you and you keep it all on file so you can do your taxes when the time comes.
Bob

Collapse -
But what are the steps? Who do I see?
by Jwoot12 / June 20, 2013 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Small world.

But what are the steps? Thats where Im lost. I dont have the slightest clue what my first step is.

This is my first time doing anything like this... I probably am over thinking but the information is clouded up badly and I need to get it done.

Collapse -
For me it was too simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 9:58 AM PDT

I headed to my city's web page and filled the form out for a license, paid and bingo I'm done.

Now I bill in my name and get paid. At the end of the year I file tax returns.

Sorry but I fear that given only the story so far I can't see where it gets complicated. But there are many lawyers that will take your money to set you up. (pun intended.)
Bob

Collapse -
The Steps
by itsmapps / June 20, 2013 3:14 PM PDT

Proffitt is on the right path, but here is what you need to do. You will probable need to incorporate a business, which is pretty easy to do. What ever state your in, go to the states website, you can google your citys state website, Then print out the forms called articles of incorporation or certificate of incorporation. Be careful to get the right forms cause there one for LLc companies or non-profit. You want the for profit forms. I say do it this way because you will be shooting yourself in the foot later if you do a sole-proprietorship. Do a S or C corp, the S corps are better for many reasons. After this you will need to contact the IRS yourself to obtain an EIN no. then that's it. Theres a little more yyou can do to solidify your business as a legit business but you can ge tallot of this kind of information at itsmapps.com or itsmapp.blogspot.com. There real good with kind of information on there blog, they even show you how to get money for your business. They helped me to get $50k in about 6 months. check them out

Collapse -
Thanks
by Jwoot12 / June 20, 2013 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: The Steps

Thanks, I dont need any money for the business and am only using it so I can be hired at an earlier date by a Canadian company. Once my work visa is approved I will close it. There will no no expenses or any of that, just my paychecks. I also dont want to be double taxed

After reading all night at work I was set on a sole proprietorship or single member LLC which is basically treated like a sole proprietorship. Can you tell me why these are mistakes?

Collapse -
Way to start a basic business
by amritasingh / July 20, 2013 5:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Small world.

To start a business enterprise,you first need a good idea and a plan of action. Then you must implement your plan by gaining financing,getting the product or service to sell, finding prospects, selling and making the exchange.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.