Desktops forum

Start PC desktop opens slower than usual icons do not work

by budcharm / December 16, 2012 8:22 AM PST

I have a Medion desktop Intel i3 running W7 32 model MT 14 Mt 654G 7332

PC opens up and desktop looks normal but icons do not work. Since problem started desktop takes longer to open up

Runs in safe mode apart from Windows E mail which says not set up properly

I think problem started after receiving word file with photos as an attachment which I saved

Have run Spybot and Malware programmes added to PC since problem occured. This identified certain problems but applying them makes no difference to PC operationAVG and Zone Labs used normally

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start PC desktop opens slower than usual icons do not work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start PC desktop opens slower than usual icons do not work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Here're some things to do
by wpgwpg / December 16, 2012 8:28 AM PST

Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
MS forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
by budcharm / December 20, 2012 8:39 AM PST

Ran system restore point back to 28/11/12 before coming to Cnet but this made no difference

Made progress through other advice yesterday but little success. See tonight's response to Bob Proffitt for current progress after more time spent on the problem today

Collapse -
Let's upgrade your scanning tool. Grif tells us more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 8:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Icons not working
by budcharm / December 18, 2012 10:06 AM PST

Thanks to all those who responded with ideas and advice much appreciated

Tried Grifs recommendations quite a few items to be deleted on Malware and Spy runs but no effect on problem. Nothing came up on the RKILL Then tried another helpful comment from the three postings and looked in Event viewer as extract below.Timing is about right for the problem but not completrely sure. Also what is the problem. A number of people seem to have the problem.

Did a search and found a fix on Microsoft site... genuine? .....MS File fix it 50531

Problem then Windows Installer does not work in Safe mode. Also not sure whether this file is just going to give me even more problems

Any ideas and thanks to you all

Critical event as belowLog Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-AutoEnrollment
Date: 13/12/2012 23:11:04
Event ID: 64
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: PC
Certificate for local system with Thumbprint 4e 7c 54 42 2a 43 1a db de 20 36 77 0e b2 fa 58 fb 58 cd 44 is about to expire or already expired.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="">
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-AutoEnrollment" Guid="{F0DB7EF8-B6F3-4005-9937-FEB77B9E1B43}" EventSourceName="AutoEnrollment" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">64</EventID>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-12-13T23:11:04.000000000Z" />
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Security />
<Data Name="Context">local system</Data>
<Data Name="ObjId">4e 7c 54 42 2a 43 1a db de 20 36 77 0e b2 fa 58 fb 58 cd 44</Data>

Collapse -
by budcharm / December 20, 2012 8:35 AM PST

More progress perhaps (?) on the above original request

Following Bob Proffitt's original advice I did scans and RKill ( normal result shown) and Malware and Spyware scans per Grif's advice on Tuesday but none gave any success.

Today looked again at event recorder and noticed that the ref with 2004/2008 in it had appeared before. Also set up two new users and the PC. These ran Ok for these new users for some time before one started to have problems as the original user.Ran System Mechanic and now running well again.

I accessed the files on the defective user account and transferred some to the new user accounts to see if files at fault. Also ran Windows 7 original Medion disc on repair mode and nothing came up as defective.

I would really like to get to the bottom of the original user problem as cannot yet retrieve the Windows Mail data

Collapse -
Let me get this straight. One account is corrupt?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 8:49 AM PST

We do know about "CORRUPT PROFILES" and if you check Microsoft's replies it's not funny anymore.

Collapse -
Corrupt profiles
by budcharm / December 20, 2012 6:19 PM PST

Oh dear all very depressing. A change to Apple looks a better option. Many thanks for all your help Bob. Best wishes

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.