Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Start Menu Gone, plus... please help

by skaterprincess / October 27, 2011 12:49 PM PDT

I have tried to search for a topic similar to mine with no success, so here is my problem (hopefully someone can help).
I am running Windows XP on an ACPI Uniprocessor PC with an Intel Celron CPU 2.6GHz and 1 GB of RAM. Let me know if more information is needed.

From the beginning, not sure if related or not, I would receive a blue screen with the error message kernel_stack_inpage_error. I knew my computer was trying to download updates so I changed the update to automatic (usually have it set at 'ask'). Restarted the computer and Norton did an 'online update' however the way Norton did the 'update' looked different. After restarting my computer after the installation I noticed I have no start menu/task bar and I cannot open internet explorer (Firefox is running slower than normal and I cannot play games online, they will not load). I have tried what the forums suggested for missing task bar (right clicking, changing to classic, etc) as well as the suggestions for desktop icons frozen with no results. From what I have read the register is sometimes the issue so I downloaded 'Registry Cleaner' with no luck.
I would like some help figuring this out or I am afraid I will have to reinstall windows which I would whether not do if I don't have too.
Thanks Grin

skaterprincess has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start Menu Gone, plus... please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start Menu Gone, plus... please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by skaterprincess

Collapse -
Run system restore to ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 28, 2011 4:56 AM PDT

a date PRIOR to the update that coincided with the problem. That should do the trick.

Collapse -
This is how to do a system restore ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 31, 2011 11:51 AM PDT

You can also perform a system restore from Safe Mode with Command Prompt as follows:

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial
startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.

2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.

3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys
to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then
press ENTER.

4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.

5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.

6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

Hope that helps.

Norton can cause a lot of problems such as you experienced. There are better choices for an AV program such as the free (or paid) Avast. If system Restore doesn't help try creating a new user account and see how it functions.
Collapse -
The computer said "cannot restore computer ... restart and t
by skaterprincess / November 2, 2011 5:48 AM PDT

The computer said "cannot restore computer ... restart and try again" Confused

I did this a couple times and nothing changed. I than went to the windows installation disk and tried to repair. Nothing changed again (because I believe it might have been Norton doing it). I decided to just reinstall windows because a) Norton might have gotten in there where windows cannot detect something is wrong and b) I have downloaded programs etc, which when deleted does not get rid of all the program.

Thank you for your help and I am still confused because I have not ever had a problem with Norton. (It comes with my internet, they are interlinked per se. I know how to disable it and go with a different software but I would still have to have Norton taking up space on my computer along with another software - I don't like that companies do that, rant over. I was just happy once that Norton did catch a trojan, could have been this time it missed it Confused )

Collapse -
Did you follow Norton's instructions on how?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 7:48 AM PDT

Norton blocks system restore till you re-enable it. Seems like Symantec should help with this.

Collapse -
by skaterprincess / November 3, 2011 3:36 AM PDT

Norton automatically updates and when I install the software needed for my internet Norton automatically installs as well.
I still find this all strange because I have used system restore on that computer before without problems. The only difference this time when Norton updated it 'threw' a box on the screen saying "update now". All other times updating it was done through Norton Online.
I don't understand. The computer needed to be 'cleaned' (fresh install) anyhow to run faster again. Oh well Cool

Collapse -
To help you understand (I hope)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.