Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Start button keeps flashing

by StickMaker / August 27, 2008 8:54 AM PDT

This is on my Acer Aspire 5100 notebook running Vista HP with SP1. Recently this started; the little round START button flashes on whatever window happens to be onscreen. A VERY fast flash. I've done all I could but it still flashes. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start button keeps flashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start button keeps flashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We may need a screenshot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2008 12:45 AM PDT

Not of the flashing button but what button you are asking about. In Vista the start button vanished with just ONE and only one button on the bottom left of the toolbar which many call what was the start button.

Here's a picture of what we see today -> http://www.cnet.com.au/story_media/339282210/vista-start-menu.jpg

See the Vista flag on the bottom left? Now tell us what button you see flashing.
Bob

Collapse -
flashing button
by StickMaker / August 28, 2008 1:38 AM PDT

Thank you, Bob; here is a screenshot. It is the round button with the Win logo.

Well, so much for that; I don't see a place to insert a picture in this forum. I have set Vista back to look like XP; got rid of all that "fancy" stuff; I want performance over "pretty" so mine does look a little different from yours.

Even as I type this, that button keeps flashing on this Firefox window.

Collapse -
While we can't post pictures many
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2008 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: flashing button

Use Photobucket.com to put up a screen shot or such. Just edit it a little to point to the item that is flashing.

Collapse -
Blinking Start Button
by Entil / May 11, 2009 11:03 PM PDT

I'm having the same issue. I tried to take a screen shot again and again, but I'm having no luck. I'll try and describe it. I have my taskbar set on auto hide, and set to classic windows. When the task bar is hide, the a phantom Start Button, just the square shape of the start button with the windows logo, nothing else... will flash all by itself for a second, almost as if the Start Button was a tool tip that pops up when your mouse is over something. The button looks exactly like the actually start button on the task bar, not different in shape, size, and is actually in the same spot where the start button would be if the task bar wasn't auto hide. It flashes quickly, sometimes once, and sometime twice, usually three times. It doesn't actually do anything or cause issues, but it is very distracting!

Collapse -
Just for your research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2009 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Blinking Start Button
Collapse -
Flashing Phantom Start Button
by Entil / May 13, 2009 6:03 AM PDT

I've played with it some... nothing but shutting off auto hide works. I decided to expand the task bar, it can be enlarged to half the size of the desktop. Now the flashing Start Button is still where it would be at the new englarged task bar... so I have it flashing on the left, half way up my monitor.

... and a note, I just reset my pc to factory image restore, and not sure why it is happening.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Flashing start button above auto-hidden taskbar's start butt
by yourweldguru / September 27, 2009 11:13 PM PDT

Tried the usual un-hiding the auto-hidden taskbar, even turning off and on the hide unused icons, turning off amnd back on quick start icons, but until I disabled NIS2009's 'Advanced Protection', again nothing seemed to stop the flashing start button appearing just above the auto-hidden taskbar's start button. Again, I had even tried system restore (first a day back, then two, then a week), but until I disabled that feature in NIS2009, nothing worked. Wouldn't surprize me at all if everyone affected is running NIS.

Collapse -
Blinking/flashing taskbar windows logo
by furball_ / December 19, 2009 3:44 PM PST

I've been having the same problem as well. Installed all the relevant updates, but still no go. I'm using a Vista Home Premium, with SP2.

Anybody solved this yet?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
I am having the same problem.
by brownox / November 15, 2010 1:35 PM PST

Here is a brief video of the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2dGQyh_Tk&hd=1

It is more annoying than anything that effects performance.
Looks like this thread is many years old, but I don't see anything that resembles a solution.

How did you resolve it StickMaker?

Collapse -
Here's a list of fixes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2010 2:57 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.