Windows 7 forum

Start a new folder in Windows Explorer, yet the BRIFCASE com

by George Gebus / April 21, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

I want to start a new folder in Windows Explorer, but the BRIEFCASE comes up instead of NEW. I can I correct this so I can open a new subfolder?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start a new folder in Windows Explorer, yet the BRIFCASE com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start a new folder in Windows Explorer, yet the BRIFCASE com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What steps are you following & what checked for?
by wpgwpg / April 21, 2013 4:46 AM PDT

The normal steps for creating a new folder would be:
1) Click START
2) Click Computer
3) Right-click Documents, C:, or whatever folder you want the new folder in.
4) Point at NEW
5) Click FOLDER
6) Type new folder's name
Is that or something similar what you did? I've never seen Briefcase come up under these conditions. If you did follow these steps and somehow Briefcase came up, then you should boot to Safe Mode and check for viruses because this is certainly isn't normal.
If you do all the above and the problem still isn't resolved, then you should back up your data and restore to factory settings according to your computer's user guide (which should be on your hard drive).
Good luck.

Collapse -
Several methods
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 5:24 AM PDT

Method 1: the command prompt (md command)
Method 2: Windows Explorer in Windows 7: in the toolbar click New Folder
Method 3: In an empty part of the right pane of the 'parent' folder: right click>New>Folder
Method 4 (workaround): Copy an existing subfolder, rename, delete the contents
Method 5 (workaround): Copy an empty folder from anywhere and rename it
Method 6: in Powerdesk (I use free version 6): press insert
Method 7: in XYPlorer (I use the free version that was available for one day): cntrl-N or new folder icon in toolbar

I use #2 and #7 mostly. With me, they never fail. But with me, the other methods never fail either. Obviously something is wrong with the OP.

Collapse -
Yes. However ...
by George Gebus / April 21, 2013 6:08 AM PDT

Yes. However ...After I 4) Pointed at NEW, then
5) Clicked FOLDER, BRIEFCASE folder was the only option.

Collapse -
Re: only option
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes. However ...

You still have a lot of other ways to do it (I mentioned 4 that come with Windows, and 2 using a third party file manager), so it's only a minor nuisance that 1 of the 7 doesn't work.

Anyway, after reading I looked at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder in the registry, and sure enough there was a ShellNew subkey there also. My guess is that it disappeared with you. Or possibly some other corruption of the registry occurred. Do you happen to use a registry cleaner/optimizer?

If it's a very small, localised, issue in the registry, you might be able to repair it by importing the right thing from the registry of a working Windows 7 PC. If that doesn't work, and system restore back to when it still worked OK, doesn't help either, and you don't have a good image backup of your system that you can restore, then I'm afraid that reinstalling Windows is the next solution.

I don't think this is caused by malware.

All Answers

Collapse -
Start a new folder in Windows Explorer, yet the BRIFCASE co
by George Gebus / April 21, 2013 4:07 AM PDT

Trying to start a new folder in Windows Explorer, but the BRIEFCASE comes up instead of NEW. How can I correct this?

Collapse -
Some things you can/should do
by wpgwpg / April 21, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

It sounds like you could have a virus or other malware. Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
MS forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
Add folders back as a "New" option
by jpearl3 / April 21, 2014 12:39 PM PDT

> Click Start;
> In the search, type: CMD;
> Right click on CMD and select "Run as administrator";
> Type copy the text below, then paste into the Command Prompt window (black background).
(Ctrl + v, won't work to paste. Right click on the black space, then select "Paste".):
Reg add "HKCR\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New" /t REG_SZ /d {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}
> Changes will take effect when you restart Windows.
> If this doesn't work, a good long-term solution is to sell your PC & buy a mac.

Collapse -
Start a new folder in Windows Explorer
by Guysavoy1 / April 23, 2014 9:13 PM PDT

Briefcase should be one of the options.
You just lost the Folder option and it is happening quite a bit lately.

How to Remove and Restore the Default "New" Context Menu Items in Windows 7 and Windows 8

If still no joy, see the "Answer" by Linda Yan in this thread.

Tip: When you save the text to Notepad, the default file format is .txt. Change it to All Files.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums on 04/24/2014 at 9:11 AM PT

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.