Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Start 8 makes all the difference for me

by wpgwpg / December 6, 2012 3:10 AM PST

I've been testing the pre-release versions of Windows 8 since Feb., and hated it. Today after reading numerous posts about Start 8, I downloaded the free trial version, and I have to say that for me it makes all the difference. I never thought I'd say it, but Windows 8 with Start 8 is OK, and it definitely seems faster. Everything works like it did in Windows 7 again. Why MS didn't think to make something like Start 8 a part of Windows 8 is beyond my understanding, but thank goodness for Stardock having come up with it.
I haven't seen any mention of other programs like Start 8 and would be interested to know if any one has found such a thing. If not, I think MS should buy this program (like they did with Skype and numerous other things in the past) and incorporate it in Windows 9.
All the comments I've seen about Start 8 have been very positive, like mine. I still haven't come up with a reason to go to Windows 8, but at least I don't hate it any more.
Comments anyone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start 8 makes all the difference for me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start 8 makes all the difference for me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, but a question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 3:17 AM PST

Why wasn't this included with Windows 8?

Collapse -
Do you think this is why they fired Sinofsky?
by wpgwpg / December 6, 2012 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: No, but a question.

I guess we'll never know for sure Bob, but I wonder if the lack of something like Start 8 was a contributing factor to his firing. I guess the first one of us who finds out can let the others know. Happy

Collapse -
And there is another top name that has left.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 3:51 AM PST

If you read about Windows 8 RT sales it's not going well. I thought they would do a bit better as they did add something of value there (Office.) But from my view that's not why folk buy a PC today.

I could be wrong but the blurb I read was that they left "on a high note." That is, the product shipped and it was time to move on.

-> I think Windows 9 is going to be great.
Bob

Collapse -
The Surface RT is just priced too high IMO
by wpgwpg / December 6, 2012 4:00 AM PST

The Surface RT looks like a good tablet, but it's way overpriced and there are Office-like apps for Androids. Heck, I can open .DOCX files on my Kindle Fire. Maybe the full featured Surface will do better, but for that kind of bucks you can buy iPads, EeePCs, and other good alternatives. I hate to say it, but I think MS is hurting without Gates as CEO.

Collapse -
Even if the price was same or lower. RT...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 4:05 AM PST

RT appears to stand for Restricted Tablet.

I only know one person who bought it and they returned it after they discovered the only way to load apps is from the Microsoft Store. They didn't know that and that decision means they shut out every developer that doesn't want to play along with the MSFT rules.

No developer in my circles is looking at 8 RT. The list of reasons is not that long but MSFT seems to be playing hard ball these round. I think it may take a while for them to catch on but eventually they figure it out.
Bob

Collapse -
Classic Shell is free
by tonyron227 / December 6, 2012 7:06 AM PST

I also found a need to use a program to return the start button to the desktop and I tried Start8 but I prefer Classic Shell and I am currently using it. You can find it here...
http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/3000-2072_4-75553853.html

The best part is that it is FREE. I have been using it since Windows 8 was released in October and I have no regrets.

Collapse -
Thank you - that's helpful
by wpgwpg / December 6, 2012 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Classic Shell is free

I just downloaded it and will test it. $5 isn't expensive for one individual, but when you start looking at businesses or classrooms, free could make a difference.

Collapse -
OK, Classic Shell is good, now games?
by wpgwpg / December 7, 2012 12:09 AM PST

Now that I have an almost usable Windows 8 system, I started looking for games. They're not here, no place in the Control Panel to add them, and I didn't see them in the Windows store either. I even tried running Spider Solitaire from Windows 7, but that doesn't work either.
What's the answer to the missing games?

Collapse -
Games are available
by tonyron227 / December 7, 2012 1:11 AM PST

I went to the Store tile on the start screen and there are over 1700 FREE games to download from the Windows Store. Solitaire, Sodoku, and others are there in a variety of flavors...

Collapse -
I went to the app store :-(
by wpgwpg / December 7, 2012 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Games are available

I went to the app store. I'd read about a solitaire suite, and in fact found it when I did a search from microsoft.com. However when I went to the app store, I got a plethera of screens, none of which had solitaire suite, and no place there to search. I went through it several times with no luck, so then I saw a few similar games and tried clicking on them. It didn't want to download them, it wanted to install them, so I said OK. But then it sent me on a wild goose chase to look for an email that never arrived. I repeated this process with several different games, but never got the first email. Finally after about a dozen attempts it said "sorry, something has happened and we can't send you an email". I've gone back several times but still no soap. If you ask me they should change the name from app store to crap store! Angry

Collapse -
I'm using Windows 8
by orlbuckeye / December 6, 2012 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: Classic Shell is free

and now I wonder why I ever used the start button. I clicked on the box to make the control panel a desktop shortcut/Icon and when I install applications I created shortcuts on the desktop and the taskbar. I also created a shutdown shortcut on my desktop by enter the shutdown command.

Collapse -
I don't like
by samkh / December 7, 2012 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: I'm using Windows 8

cluttering my desktop with tiles so why ruin a great looking personalized wallpaper with garbage everywhere?

When you need to launch another program in multi-tasking, a start button allows you to just do it, whereas you got to go back to start screen in W8 to access a tile - yech! And frankly, for me, finding a program in a tile on a big screen monitor is a lot slower than finding it in a start menu - eyes got to roam over the whole screen vs. bottom left corner.

Those are just some of the reasons why 8 will never become my client OS on laptops and desktops. 8 Pro is ok as a server OS in domains (and cheap too while MS is still discounting the upgrade!).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.