TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Standard question regarding TVs

by spurlockda / July 7, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

I need some help. I'm active duty military and have special circumstances regarding moving the TV which happens every two years or so (new set of duty orders).

My old crt finally died and now it "must buy" time. At first I thought that I'd just get a plasma but the military will not cover damages when moving plasma tvs. Some household goods (HHG) people tell us that the military won't even accept plasmas in HHG shipments any more because of the claims for damage.

Then I started looking at LCD but can't seem to find something that is big enough (greater than 10' viewing distance), doesn't have really reflective screens (lamps in the living room, windows, etc.)

Now I'm looking at RPTVs. But again, relatively light and easy to move would be good.

I'd like to buy in at the higher end of the HD 1080p technology curve because I can't afford to tech refresh very often (military pay and all).

Finally, my next set of orders is to Japan so international capability would be a plus.

Someone please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Standard question regarding TVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Standard question regarding TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First, I'd like to suggest that you don't need 1080p unless
by NM_Bill / July 8, 2007 8:20 AM PDT

a serious gamer or are into watching high def DVDs. 720 is so much higher quality than "old" standard TV & you can't even see the difference at over 5 feet from the screen unless an enormous screen. I have a RPTV. RP is the budget entry into HDTV. I would move the internal lamp personally though as that part is fragile & rather expensive. Then the older color wheel is also very delicate. The newest Samsung HL-T series eliminates those be being an LED DLP.

Are you catching the drift? RPTVs are a bit delicate. I would recommend an LCD for light weight, reliability & maximum brightness. The LCD sets in larger sizes have been coming down but are still a premium at that size relative to plasma.

Then when it comes to international capability, that's a ball of wax by itself. Some who know those things should respond. There are matters of perhaps plug & voltage converters plus compatible internal set tuner.

Collapse -
Questions on the best TV for military
by spurlockda / July 12, 2007 12:33 PM PDT

NM_Bill,

Thanks for replying. I do watch a lot of high quality discs and am planning on experimenting with Blu-ray. Based upon reading, looking for something that reads ?24? fps. Couple of reasons for that: Over in Japan, unless you speak Japanese pretty well, you won't want to watch lots of Japanese TV.

I think I have decided on an LCD TV both for the durability, light weight (relatively speaking) and the fact that it's LCD. Based upon the distances I typically sit at in relation to the screen, I'm looking in the 50+ inch range.

Your thoughts.

Collapse -
FIRST OFF, I'D LIKE TO THANK FOR DEFENDING OUR COUNTRY......
by Riverledge / July 12, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

AS FAR AS A NEW HDTV, I SUGGEST A SONY SXRD MODEL, soon to be introduced SONY KDS-xxA3000 and current KDS-xxA2020 (selling for a song!) Both models are available in 50", 55", and 60" sizes.

Advantages include; both models are relatively light-weight compared to PLASMAS; proven track record for the PQ of the SXRDs. In addition they have few to none moving parts, unlike most DLP models. As a rule RPTVs tend to be a tad bulky; however SONYs new A3000s will be notabely thinner. I could go on and on.......just a personal choice.

Godspeed,

Riverledge.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.