Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Stalled at Windows XP splash screen

by lacsr / February 21, 2007 10:17 PM PST

I know I have seen this talked about but I cannot find a resolution. I have a new HP Pavilion desktop PC that has Media Center 2005 installed with all updates from Microsoft. It has the following hardware, etc:
Dual core AM2 5200+
on board video Nvidia chipset some form of the ASUSTek motherboard called NODUSM3
D/L DVD LightScribe
SATA hard drive 320 GB (I think)
Hauppauge 250
I recently had to replace the internal Media Card Reader as it had failed.
Last night I tried to start it up and it kept hanging at the Windows XP splash screen with the blue bar scrolling left to right. It just stayed there and would not go further. I then booted up to Windows XP install CD and entered the Recovery Console to start CHKDSK /R which it completed successfully. However that did not solve anything. I have read that Windows is loading drivers, etc. under this splash screen and it more than likely is trying to resolve an issue with one of those.
Any ideas as to how to find the one that is causing a problem? It will not load in Safe Mode either, which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue. I have not encountered this issue before and therefore cannot rely on experience to solve this.
If you have any words of wisdom, I would surely be grateful.
Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stalled at Windows XP splash screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stalled at Windows XP splash screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Safe Mode failure for me have been caused by...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2007 12:02 AM PST

Spyware and other pest damage. If we are lucky to have a bonafide Microsoft XP CD (in your case the MCE one) we can perform what is called a XP REPAIR INSTALL. That usually gets me to the point I can scan and eject pests, worms, rootkits and other items.

If you don't have such a CD then you are stuck with the OS repair option Hp gave you.

Be sure to unplug all USB devices next time you boot for a test.

Collapse -
Glad you were on here Bob
by lacsr / February 22, 2007 3:54 AM PST

I knew it had to be something obvious that I had overlooked. You last line "Be sure to unplug all USB devices next time you boot for a test" was the gem. I unplugged all the USB items and it booted right up. It seems there is something with the AIO HP C3180 it does not like, even though it was not on. It had been working before and at this present moment it is working now. Anyhow, it was the C3180 that was causing the hang. I put each item back on one at a time and the only time it hung was when the AIO was in the mix. Every time I removed it, boot up was fine. Only thing is right "NOW" the AIO is connected and it is good. I will remember this in the future if it happens again.
Thanks for the "Heads UP" on that.
BTW: Did not get a true MCE CD but the hidden partition on the hard drive which you obviously knew about HP systems. Therefore, I was really interested in getting this resolved without going into the Recovery Partition.

Collapse -
I might be able to explain that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2007 4:06 AM PST

Some all in ones emulate a drive. Some BIOS's will try to boot from such and you get a hang.

-> If you are game, try removing USB from the bootable items list and retest.

Sorry that you don't have restore CDs. It's time to consider imaging the drive. Look at PING from

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by lacsr / February 22, 2007 6:52 AM PST

That link has quite a few tidbits. I tried some of those in the list and they are quite helpful.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Just an update
by lacsr / February 28, 2007 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

The stall came back. After doing a "repair install" twice, it did not correct the problem. By then it would not boot at all. I had to do a reformat and install again new.
My question now - Could a corrupted registry have caused this? If so, it would have saved allot of work just to go back to an earlier backup of the registry, assuming that is possible when the OS won't boot. I have not run across this before, so I did not even think of it.
Any ideas? I am sure there are many members more experienced than me that can answer this.

Collapse -
About corrupt registry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Just an update

I haven't encountered that since Windows 95/98/ME days. If one was to corrupt the XP registry it would be a sign of failing hardware or some pest.

I don't have a good clue to point to this as the issue.

-> Are you using safe hex? That is, firewall, antivirus, antispyware and no P2P apps?

Collapse -
No P2P
by lacsr / March 1, 2007 3:21 AM PST

I have anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spy. As a matter of fact, I had Norton Internet Security and had removed it with the removal tool. Then had installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite. This problem came up after ZoneAlarm was installed for about a week along with Ad-Aware SE, Spyblaster, and Spybot Search and Destroy. If it wad caused by a pest, I did not see it.
I know how many people claim problems on Norton but Norton is back on (just like it came from the factory). I'll just wait and see.

Collapse -
Had similar problem
by scott.skinner / March 4, 2007 8:16 PM PST
In reply to: No P2P

I had a similar problem. I kept encountering a stall at the Windows splash screen after installing XP Home on a new build. Brand new everything including legal XP CD. Microsoft replaced the CD, but the same problem occured. The only way I resolved the problem was by installing a pre SP2 version of the OS. Microsoft didn't want to activate the installation, but after spending 2 hours convincing them that their software was the culprit, they gave up and gave me the code.

Something in the Windows updates seems to have been the culprit in my opinion.

I've had enough trouble with Zone Alarm in XP that I quit using it.

Norton Internet Security is like the Plague to me. Why bother with it's enormous appetite for resources and control when there is AVG and Avast for free????

Collapse -
XP Stall at boot screen
by lloko / March 3, 2007 3:31 PM PST
In reply to: Just an update

Had the same problem reaccuring randomly then consistantly got worse. Tracked the problem to a CA etrust security update. Reinstalled and the problem diappeared. Seems my virus/firewall software was competing with drivers on boot-up.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by stew916 / March 2, 2007 1:59 PM PST

I am running custom built XP Pro with hp 4215 all-in-one and have had nothing but trouble with compatability with this printer and my OS. Its been a nightmare so uninstalled hp and all related items and comp much faster and smoother now all glithces so far are not there. Is there a printer combo out there (fax copier scanner) that would work well with my system? another software that hates me is kodak, for my easyshare printer dock hangs comp when loading even when disabled in msconfig will not let LAN load for around 3 min. Am running AMD sempron 3400+ 1GB ram video board radeon x550 150gb hard drive combo CD-RW/LITE-ON-DVD SHM-165H6s BIOS American megatrends sysyem board MSI MS-7260 1.0 Any help about these to issues would be great sure need the printer and camera dock Thank you Neil

Collapse -
by lloko / March 3, 2007 3:25 PM PST
In reply to: HP

Try downloading a free applet called "StartupCPL_exe". It is much easier to us e than MSCONFIG and doesn't require a reboot. Use this program to take the 4215 drivers out of your start up routine, you don't this HP bloat. Next, goto the HP web site and see if they offer "CORPORATE DRIVERS" that don't take over the system.
Good luck.

Collapse -
This thread is a lifesaver!
by Vict20 / March 15, 2007 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: HP

Glad I came across this thread at last.

I was having exactly the same problem with a friends Pavilion t3205 desktop pc with a new HP all in one 3100 printer attached. About three restarts after the printer was installed, the pc started hanging at the splash screen. The pc could be started in safe mode. Numerous attempts to sort the problem failed including a repair from the XP cd. The only solution I found at the time was to reformat and do a clean install.

After finally setting the PC back up again, the printer was reinstalled and 2 reboots later, hey presto the damn thing hung at the splash screen. A system restore to a date before the printer was installed did not fix the problem, we were back to square one again!

I finally came across this thread. Booted up the PC in safe mode, removing all the printer software and drivers did not help. I then went to device manager then disabled a few things that I suspected could be the cause...

1.USB composite device (...possibly a cheapo Skype phone only installed after the rebuild )
2.USB Mass storage device ..(The Printer?)
4.Dial up Modem

A restart later the PC booted normally!!

Now it will be a case at some point of individually re-enabling the disabled hardware to see which one is the culprit. I am strongly suspecting now that it will be the USB mass storage device in the form of the printer.

There is a BIOS update for the motherboard available which I might apply before doing anything else.

Collapse -
HP Pavilion? Hm, rings a bell!
by meisinscotland / March 15, 2007 6:55 PM PDT

Back in school my art teacher had a HP Pavilion: Wouldnt boot (most of the time) and bluescreened whenver you inserted a flash drive. I dont know but it may be your hardware.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.