RAM: 1 MB
Hard Disk: 10 GB
Drive A: floppy 3.5-inch 1.44MB
Drive C: 10 GB
Drive D: CD-R
Drive E: CD-RW
running under Windows 98 Second Edition. Currently my own
PC is not connected to the Internet. I am using a friend's PC
with an Internet connection to send this plea for help.

I am not a technical person, so I need help in the form of simple step-by-step instructions via e-mail to solve two PC problems, which may or may not be related.

Problem #1. Recently every time after I turn on my PC, the system reports:
Error Starting Program
A required .DLL file,
SSLEAY32.DLL, was not found

OK

This error message remains on the screen until I click on 'OK'
I have checked the Recycle Bin on my PC, but cannot find a file
by that filename. Do I really need that file? If so, is it on one of the CDs that came with my PC? Where is/are the safe sources from where
I get it safely and free-of-charge? What is the destination folder/location I should place that file?

Problem #2. I tried to run ScanDisk on the Hard Disk in the hope sorting out the problem mentioned above in 1. That was when I discovered the second problem. The error message read:

ScanDisk cannot continue because a program
such as a disk utiltiy has locked this drive.
Close the program or wait for it to finish.
The restart ScanDisk.

OK

Apparently the lock on the hard disk is permanent or continuing. herewith) How can I find out what this program is so that I can perhaps uninstall it, especially if it prevents me from defragmenting my Hard Disk?

Any help you can extend to this non-technical user will be appreciated. synchew

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SSLEAY32.DLL & ScanDisk cannot continue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SSLEAY32.DLL & ScanDisk cannot continue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This issue is deep enough
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 2:50 PM PDT

That I fear the best course is to save your files and reload the OS. I am not finding any step by step for cures on this issue and any I write would be no more than a guide.

So reload the OS and if the hardware is good it will be good as new.
Bob

Collapse -
SSLEAY32.DLL & ScanDisk cannot continue
by synchew / March 31, 2013 9:10 AM PDT

I am looking for one or more remedies that is less drastic than having to reinstall Windows 98*SE and all my other applications, considering that the rest of my PC seems be functioning - apart from the two problems mentioned.

Collapse -
Then for a fee.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 9:45 AM PDT

This one may be called in to MSFT and here the rate is about 90 per hour. Windows 98 here installs in about 15 minutes and you stated you needed a step by step which is unlikely as I can't see the PC. You might find local support for a fee that can correct this.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: issues
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 6:52 AM PDT

SSLEAY32.dll seems to be open source ssl-implementation, so it has to do with Internet. It's not something that came with Windows, so you must have installed it yourself. Maybe it came with another program (Zonealarm)? Then re-installing that might help.
Anyway: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ssleay32 says it has a zip-file that contains it and you should put the dll-file in c:\windows\system. It shouldn't harm to try it.

#2.
I'd run scandisk from your Windows 98 boot diskette. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/19955 tells how.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.