Laptops forum

Question

SSD + Hybrid HD

by Computer156 / October 24, 2012 9:15 AM PDT

I recently ordered a "dv7t Quad" from HP. I was hoping to customize it with a SSD, but since that wasn't available I opted for the hybrid hard drive that they offered. Since this computer has room for 2 hard drives, I was hoping to still buy a SSD and load Windows 8 and my applications onto that, while using the hybrid hard drive for files.

Does the fact that the "2nd" hard drive is a hybrid make this any more difficult? Am I still able to re-format it the same way I could with a normal hard drive, even though it comes with Windows 8 pre-loaded on the flash portion of the drive?

I don't know anything about hybrid hard drives so I appreciate any help with these questions. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SSD + Hybrid HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SSD + Hybrid HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: SSD + Hybrid HD

And no. Keep in mind Windows 8 is not out plus HP supplies an OEM version that may block your custom install. I'm sure you've encountered limits on those OEM versions before.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Ok my current laptop I purchased came with a 750 gb HD
by orlbuckeye / October 25, 2012 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: SSD + Hybrid HD

I purchased a 120 GB SSD that I planned to use as the C drive and use the 750 HD as my data drive. The SSD drive I bought came as a kit. The kit contained the SSD, a enclosure with USB 2.0 connector and Acronis cloning software. My Acer needed a special cable sold separately and not in the USA to use the second bay so I had time to install apps on the 750 hd. Finally i got the cable and i cloned the HD to the SSD although at first it wasn't working but i figured out I was using the USB 3.0 on my laptop and I tried the USB 2.0 and maybe 40 minutes later the drive was cloned. I connected the SSD in bay one and moves the HD to bay 2 and my system booted in around 25 seconds compared to the 1 minute with the HD. I then saw a sale on a 240 gb SSD and purchased it and used the kit to cole the 120 SSD to the 240 SSD and again it worked fine after I replaced the SSD with the bigger one.

I didn't do any install of windows I only cloned it. I've never had a hybrid drive. I know they have a small SSD type technology with a HD in the same device. Since I've never owned one I'm not sure if the whole drive is once drive letter or if it acts like 2 partitians.

So answering the question about if it's more difficult I'm not sure but I would assume it isn't. I would think if you get the cloning software it would clone it no matter if the hybrid is 1 or 2 partitians.

I would look into cloning software. Sysmantec makes a product called Ghost and Acronis True Image are 2 of the most popular cloning software applications out there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.