Small business & Startups forum

Square Stand problem

by Sugarjones71 / September 19, 2013 9:17 AM PDT

I use Square for my business and ordered the new Stand a month ago.
Well, it didn't charge my iPad so I returned it for a replacement.
The new one came today and it has the same exact problem, it won't charge the iPad.
I have done EVERYTHING the Square site asks as far as troubleshooting. And, of course, Square doesn't have a phone number or real people to talk to so all they can tell me is to return it.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this thing?
Should I just give it up?
Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Square Stand problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Square Stand problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: Square stand
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 19, 2013 6:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Square Stand problem says it's sold in Apple shops and with Best Buy. Maybe your local Apple shop can tell you what's wrong or sell you one that they demonstrate working. Then you can return this not-working one.
And, you know, a shop has real people.

Collapse -
I'd head to the Apple store
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2013 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Square Stand problem

But I wonder if it only works with some iPad models. Or if your iPad's connector has worn and won't connect with all things.

Getting to a real store will find real people and they can try it with another iPad.

Collapse -
Square Stand
by Itbit1 / March 18, 2014 10:33 AM PDT

I also got the square stand in September of 2013. It worked beautifully for about 6 weeks. Then the charging light would go off and the credit card reader would stop working. I tried all the fixes and troubleshooting. It would go in and out of working. The company required I BUY another unit in order to get a replacement. Then I had to return the first unit for a refund of the second charge. Of course it took forever to process the refund. Within 4 weeks the second stand started doing the same hung. It would simultaneously stop charging and stop swiping. Tried all the fixes again without any luck. Contacted support for a refund since it was probably a design flaw and said I would like to repurchase once problem fixed. They responded it was my ipad (but I tried more than 1) and to keep troubleshooting. Perfect. Out the cost and customers agitated after becoming familiar with the convenience to keep taking it away. It is now sitting packed up in the original box. To make matters worse they sent an email today saying they never got the first stand back and would charge me for it within 1 week. That's funny since I have credit card transaction where they said they had received it and refunded my second purchase. Come on square! You were so great in the beginning!

Collapse -
by nicjon89 / September 22, 2014 1:59 AM PDT

Wow, What a pain in the butt. Next time someone runs into this problem, after testing 2 stand and 2 different ipads i realized that the peice on the sqaure stand that connects the ipad to the stand has to plastic pointy sticks on both sides. If you like at an iPad charger you will not see these simply cut them down a hair, and put iPad into the stand and then make sure security screw is on the stand, and it will work. Did for Me Happy

Collapse -
We have four stands with the same problem
by stephenlarsen / May 19, 2015 2:20 AM PDT

I truly believe it is a problem with all the stands. I purchased 3 to begin with and another a few months later, and they all have the problem. What I have to do is push really hard on the corners of the ipad opposite the connection and force it onto where it charges. If I work with it enough, then I'm able to get it to 'seat'. This is a real annoyance because our business is so dependent on the Square system and the associated printers attached as well as the credit card charging. In spite of the inconvenience, we are making it work because it seems to be the best solution for us at the time.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.