Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spyware Doctor didn't run well on my computer

by lonestar4me / July 19, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

If you're looking for a spyware program, you may have seen that Spyware Doctor has received PC Mag's editors choice. I installed it on my computer and had all kinds of performance problems such as 100% CPU usage by Spyware Doctor, Internet Explorer failing to close when I clicked to close it, and some sites (Yahoo mail for example) running slow or not at all. Granted my computer is 5 years old, but it runs Windows 2000 and all my other programs without a problem. So for now I've gone back to Microsoft Anti-Spyware with which I've had no performance problems.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware Doctor didn't run well on my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware Doctor didn't run well on my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spyware Doctor does not play nice
by bglover51 / July 19, 2005 7:30 AM PDT

With certain other programs-- in particular it will not work well with Prevx (learned this the hard way, posted on the Prevx support Forum at Castle Cops and discovered it was a known issue).

My computer is a bit more moedern than yours (!.8 gig processor running XP) and it could not handle SD and Prevx together. But, even super-charged pcs I discovered had the same problem. They conflict. Spyware Doctor is no longer loaded in resident memory for me (I use Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard in addition to Prevx) and I just use SD to scan out baddies (course, I don't get many of those, using all that prvenention and FireFox as my primary browser!).

Craig

Collapse -
well
by dyspyzthespyz / July 19, 2005 7:33 AM PDT

imo, Prevx doesn't play nice with a lot of software, SWDoc just to name one.....

Collapse -
Downloaded yesterday and Uninstalled today...
by glenn30 / July 19, 2005 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: well

For some of the same reasons. In addition it supposedly found 3 CometCurser's relating to the mouse and 33 Xupiter's having to do with adds IE Toolbar w/links to Xupiter. Software could not remove them and it recommended upgrading to the paid version to delete them. Well... that's no good and I'm not sure they are really there as no other cleaners find them and I use all the usual ones recommended on these forums plus some others.

Just my experience!!

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sounds about right... ;-)
by dyspyzthespyz / July 19, 2005 12:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hi Glenn
by bglover51 / July 20, 2005 7:33 AM PDT

If you read tha Spywareinfo Newsletter linked by Roddy, the thing that most impressed the reviewer is that Spyware Doctor produced no false positives, and was the only spyware scanner the reviewer ever saw that never had done so.

I have downloaded virtually every legit (and, unknowingly, a couple of rogues) spyware scanner created and always a free trial of a paid version found "something". But, I will say (and have long ago here), I think Spyware Doctor does a far more thorough scan than it's competitors and tend to think it's results the most legitimate.

It's scans take FOREVER and it scans deep, finding remnants of left-behind junk other scanners might be missing. I wouldn't quickly dismiss the results as come-ons or false positives.

Or, they might be. But, my long experience with the program is it truly is the best I've used (even if I can't use its resident shield).

Collapse -
Hi Craig
by glenn30 / July 20, 2005 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Glenn

Thank you for the well thought out and courteous response. I have to tell you that my decision was not entirely made on the come-on or false positive issue. I had other problems where it did not play well with other software and slowed it down my system.

I still have the downloaded file and may give it another try when there is more time to isolate the conflicts with other software. I have no problem with purchasing the full version if I know it will work without conflicts.

Thanks for your perspective and I really do appreciate responses that are well thought out.

Best regards,

Glenn

Collapse -
Truth is when I use Spyware Doctor
by bglover51 / July 20, 2005 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Craig

to scan I just walk away from the computer and let it do its thing, because, frankly, it takes up 100% of the processor to do its work.

This is not a program you can multi-task with. It takes over your machine when it's doing its work (and even apparently when it's just in resident shield mode).

Indeed, if you tried scanning with it and doing other tasks at the same time, you learned quickly it can't really be done.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice.
by lonestar4me / July 21, 2005 2:41 AM PDT

I'll try using SpywareDoctor just for scans and not run the resident shield.

Collapse -
Same here except...
by caktus / July 19, 2005 2:35 PM PDT

MS Antispyware was just as nasty if not worse than Spyware Doctor on my machine.

MS Antispyware found alot of trash that other programs did not find but I had to disable the Real Time Protection as it greatly slowed my machine. And after disabling the Real Time Protection I found the machine was much faster, appearantly as a result of the trash removed by MS Antispyware.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.