Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

spyware/ antivirus

by davjo1 / April 19, 2008 1:29 AM PDT

Hello all,
i have the following questions if someone can kindly help me.
I know very little about computer security,
I have a new laptop, my old laptop was infected by a virus, the
cost of repairing it was more than the computer was worth.
I am very scared of my new computer picking up a virus of some kind,
My internet provider s virgin, i have their netguard anti-virus &
spyware, but i had this package on my old computer but i still got
an infection.
So my question is would it do any harm if i also added some of the free security like AVG OR OTHER RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE. if so what
could i add to make my computer safer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spyware/ antivirus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spyware/ antivirus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is recommend to run only ONE
by roddy32 / April 19, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: spyware/ antivirus

antivirus program but you can run multiple anti-spyware programs as long as they are copmpatible. So you need to either run your ISP's antivirus OR another of your choice. I have no clue how good or bad netguard is. There are recommended programs in the welcome post stuck to the top of the forum.

Collapse -
by davjo1 / April 19, 2008 2:23 AM PDT

Roddy,
thank you for your helpful & prompt reply.
it is much appreciated.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by roddy32 / April 19, 2008 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: reply
Collapse -
Repost for davjo1
by roddy32 / April 19, 2008 11:49 PM PDT

Your last question

"Hi Roddy,
sorry to be such a pain,but i really am clueless when it comes to
security matters, But how can i tell SPY-WARE from ANTI-VIRUS.
scared of making a mistake
thanks very much."

Antivirus overview
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_software

Spyware overwiew
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

The programs we recommend are here
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=238606&messageID=2432058

One of our Mods, Grif Thomas has a tips for newbies thread here
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=22053&messageID=238454

If you have any further questions, please post them in THIS thread.

Collapse -
some good free ones
by tanker12uk / April 21, 2008 8:46 AM PDT

I also have Virgin and I have customers who have had problems with netguard so I dont use/like it as it seems to need to much attention which is not good if you busy
for what its worth I use 3 programs anti virus I use AVG 7.5 free version anti spyware I use spybot search and destroy version 1.52 and for a firewall I use zonelabs zonealram free version I am on line a lot as I am at home due to bad health and i have used these 3 in all there versions for about 10 years each on its own is not perfect but as a 3 way they seem to work well for me and for other people who I have recommended them to there is one warning if you use avg get rid of netguard as in the right situation it will clash with avg and you will end up in a boot loop which is very bad news.
I hope this is of some use to you
regards
Richard

Collapse -
Hello Sorry To Say, You Do Get What You Pay For
by Dr. Gianni / April 21, 2008 8:48 AM PDT

You Had Said You Had A Problem With You Old Computer And It Got Infected And It Was To Much To Fix And You Decided To Buy A New One
( The American Way When It's Broke Throw It Out ) And Now You Want To Protect The New One The Same Way I Am Confused.?

Collapse -
Spyware / antivirus
by vgraybeard / April 21, 2008 9:06 AM PDT

I suggest that you go to download.com and type antivirus into "search" and read the reviews. Then type "spyware" into
search and do the same. I've used and sworn by Norton (it's
been a while); I've used and sworn at McAfee. I now use AVG
and find it satisfactory. Spybot and Adware are good anti
spyware programs. (I use both because they are just a little
bit different and seem to catch anything the other misses).
You should never connect without a good firewall and for that
I use zonealarm. These programs tend to nag you about possible problems (a lot)until you get your settings the way you want
them but it keeps you informed. Keep in mind, none of the
security programs will do any good if you don't use them AND
keep them up to date. These aren't the only good (and free)
programs that are available.

Collapse -
Anti Virus, Spyware, Adware, etc.
by cjswan / April 21, 2008 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Spyware / antivirus

After some years of Norton, I grew tired of it slowing my system to far less than desired; plus the virus that got thru' and caused me one hard drive and a ton of data. Deleting it from everywhere was another story in and of itself, more than simply deleting the program. I now have AVG and love it. I don't use Spybot for the simple fact it was making me nuts with all the approval and so on, never quite getting the hang of what my trend was. Plus it locked down several programs I run regularly (paid type at that). Now I have Windows Defender from Microsoft, AVG 7.5, SUPERAntiSpyware, ThreatFire and Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal. All free. Plus a couple others I paid little to obtain. I also back up to a flash drive at least once daily, run RegCure to clean the registry, keep the Internet Options cleaning out history, cookies and such, defrag weekly, run the Error Checking weekly and Disk CleanUp daily. No more problems. Knock on wood! It is fine to run more than one spy, spam, adware or malware, but never run more than one Anti-Virus or you are asking for trouble. Actually, your system will let you this cannot be done.

Collapse -
spyware/antivirus
by timr999 / April 21, 2008 11:07 AM PDT

First, pay for and use Noton Antivirus or McAfee Antivirus. Just use the antivirus programs. These companies are offering larger packages that do "everything" however, my experience with these "do everything" programs is that they will stall your computer and slow it down to a crawl. Use just the antivirus program for either of the above, although my experience has been good with Norton Antivirus. Dowload the free Zone Alarm as your firewall. Turn off Microsoft's firewall. Then download the free Spyware Blaster which will not analyze your system but just put blocks out to stop spyware from getting into your system. Adaware is another free download and it will scan you system when you choose. Be sure to check for updates DAILY for Norton, or McAffee, and Adaware. You will be one step ahead of the game if you do this as updates are delayed and issued, sometime automatically, later than daily. Go to filehippo.com to view and download these free ones..........Spyware Blaster, Zone Alaerm and AdAware. Pay for Norton or McAffee. This will provide you with basic protection. AVG is a free antivirus program. I run it every other time with Norton Antivirus. I do not have it start up, though. I have Norton start up only. To see what starts up when you turn on your computer go to Start, the Run. Once there, in Run, type in msconfig. Go to the file "Startup" an it will show all programs that start up when you turn on your computer. Don't have AVG start up.....just let Norton or McAffee start up. And AdAware. If Spyware Blaster is there, check the box to let it start up. This will offer you basic protection. Tim Foss

Collapse -
Recommendations
by howiem / April 21, 2008 5:51 PM PDT
In reply to: spyware/antivirus

The advice I have seen below is goodbut I would like to add a couple of other recommendations.
To protect youself and your operating system do a search for Sandboxie and get this program and learn how to use it from the web site.
For anti-virus programs also consider Avira freewhich has good detection ratings from AV-comparatives.com

Collapse -
I recommand THREATFIRE
by pierjean / April 22, 2008 1:06 AM PDT

try threatfire
Will your antivirus software catch the latest malware that just came out today? In most cases, no, because it simply does not know how to detect it yet. But ThreatFire's ActiveDefense technology does, and has proven to provide up to 243% more protection when combined with traditional AntiVirus products. See the table & download here.
http://www.threatfire.com/
I am very happy with it. it is free as long as you want. the pro version have a full scanning capability for already infected computers,that is a plus. This option is also free for a while. this Antivirus is compatible with others AV as it does not work with signatures and does not need to be updated. it stops programs that are attempting to change the registry and ask you in case of a new threat. leave it setup to default (I beleive 50%) very efficient. Do not set it up to max as it would ask you for ALL and every attempts to change the registry, even by friendly programs... (Too efficient)I am very satisfied with it.
it stops viruses when my Norton AV did not move an eyebrow. My Treatfire is my guard dog.
good luck.

Collapse -
hello davjo1
by bw-mail / April 22, 2008 3:26 AM PDT

My system is protected by
1. firewall:
"comodo firewall" (free) www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/overview.html
2. antivirus:
"avast!" (free) www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
3. anti-malware:
"pc tools threat fire" (free) www.threatfire.com
and they work fine together!
Aside of this I scan my system time by time with
4. "a-squared" (free) www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
These programs will warn you about nearly every infection danger.
5. "sandboxie" (free) www.sandboxie.com is worth a thorough study!

Collapse -
thanks B W
by davjo1 / April 22, 2008 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: hello davjo1

BW MAIL,
Thanks very much for your info,
i really appreciate it.all the best.

Collapse -
Hello davjo1 again
by bw-mail / April 22, 2008 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks B W

I forgot to mention another solution that can help you well
if you don't want to struggle with much protection programs:
Microsoft "Windows Steady State" (free)
www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx
is also worth a thorough study!

Collapse -
many thanks
by davjo1 / April 23, 2008 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello davjo1 again

Hi BW,
thank you will have a lok at that opion.
all the best dave.

Collapse -
Antivirus/malware software
by Galdhrim / April 22, 2008 5:35 PM PDT

If you are looking for apps free to protect your laptop, I would recomend:

Comodo Firewall: very good firewall, it also includes an antimalware tool (it is named Defense+, it can be annoying at first, but it is worth a try. Tip: check their forum in order to know the right settings to avoid most of the annoying behavior). If Defense+ becomes a problem, you can disable it, and keep using the firewall, however, Defense+ should be very efective to keep you safe, since it doesn't allow any unknown program to modify the key places of your computer, unless you authorice it. The firewall won a firewall contest just a few days ago.

Antivirus: There are a lot of antivirus software, however, I know very few free antivirus, and I would trust just Avast. It is free if you are a home user (you dont use your computer to make profit). It has got good reviews, but I couldn't see details. It will detect and stop most viruses, but probably will miss the malware/trojan installers (it is antivirus, not antimalware). You will need to register the AV, but it is free.

Antimalware/spyware: Spybot Search&Destroy, an excellent program, free. I had problems once with real time protection, so I just use the detection tool, but probably by now it has been already fixed.

And if your computer gets a virus... DONT pay for desinfection (if you can avoid it), look for some forum (you can search using hijackthis keyword), probably you will find a forum with people that can tell you how to remove the virus yourself.

Collapse -
AVAST,SPYBOT,THREATFIRE,CCLEANER, REGISTRY-DEFRAG & dSK Def
by pierjean / April 23, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

I agree with Galdhrim. this is an excelent combination. avast,and Spybot Search and destroy.
I do not know Comodore but Threatfire does the same thing meaning protecting the registry form unwanted intrusions. It does not take space on your computer, is compatible with other AV and is not bothering if left on default setup. I compare my Threatfire to a Dobermam sleeping silently in front of my door and only barking when some stranger want to reach for the door! The door will not open without your agreement.
it does not need feeding (not updating of signature) works realtime even for brand new viruses. works well with both AVAST and Spybot....it is the one what raise an eyebrow FIRST for ANY suspicious activity.

what I wanted to add is that after cleaning your computer from spywares and viruses... still using free tools, use a registry defragmenter tool to reorganise the keys and recover some speed....
Do not follow any randow free program that is asking you to scan your computer from internet to supposely clean your computer from viruses...(unless really welknown websites) most of the time they are misleading in order to sell their product.

if your computer is very slow you may want to first:

1) -CCleaner to clean the registry from orphan keys in the registry and other clogging files.
that will get you some speed.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

you may also want first to download the "Malicious software removal tool from windows.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=malicious+removal

3) run your antivirus full scan
http://avast.download--free.net/
and
http://www.threatfire.com/?gclid=CKGrxMPO8ZICFQY_agodGDHU3g

If possible, I recommand doing this in safe mode (F8 upon booting)
in order to block eventual viruses from loading and eventually become stealth and untouchable.

4) full scan with spybot search & destroy.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
clean all that is found and immunize.

5) again, clean the registry and junk files with cc cleaner
THEN....(that is often forgotten)

6 )free REGISTRY-DEFRAG
TO DEFRAGEMENT the registry and reorganise all keys allowing yet more speed for your computer.
http://www.brothersoft.com/free-registry-defrag-70592.html

7) finally use the disk deframenter tool in windows to defragment your complete hard drive.(start\all programms\accessoiries\system tools\ disk defragmenter.
that should do it.
good luck.
Pierjean

Collapse -
indebted to you.
by davjo1 / April 23, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

Hello pierjean,
Once again i am overwhelmed by all this advise provided by your good self and other people on these forums, you have all given me all the infomation i need. I only wish i had found these forums sooner,
the people on here are great, so willing to help a novice like myself.
thanks again, and all the best.

Collapse -
you're welcome!
by pierjean / April 23, 2008 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: indebted to you.

You're welcome.
I have got some help in this forum in the past and I was returning the favor!
I am glad things are working out for you!
Pierjean

Collapse -
LEARNING ALL THE TIME.
by davjo1 / April 23, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

Hi Galdhirm,
i would like to say thank you for your excellent reply to my post,
i will try what you suggest, you have provided me with some very useful imformation.Sorry i have not replied sooner, but i had trouble
with clicking the links in the e.mail informing me that i had an answer, when i tried to come to the forums via the e.mail nothing
was happening when i clicked the link.so i did a system restore,
that seems to have fixed the problem,although i have lost some programmes in the process. Anyway thanks again for taking the time to help me, really is appreciated.

Collapse -
Free AV Programs
by howiem / April 23, 2008 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: LEARNING ALL THE TIME.

For AV programs there are a number of considerations:
1. High virus detction rate
2. Low use of system resources
3. Compatibility with other programs

I suggest that you go to www.av-comparatives.org and click the link "Comparatives" on the left, and read the latest report. For some months now Avira has a better detection rate than either AVG or Avast. It addition Avira has a much better detection rate for the category "other malware" than either of the other two freebies.

If you have a suspicious file, you can have it checked at www.virustotal.com or http://virusscan.jotti.org/

For general security, never click on links in email or Instant Messengers unless you rare sure you know where they lead to. You can copy any web address and go to www.linkscanner.com to test the link to see if the site contains malicious code. If so, stay away from it. Even legitimate web sites can be compromised. But I repeat my previous advice for using Sandboxie, since even if you get a virus or other malware from the Internet while surfing in a sandbox, it will not affect your operating system. The malware rmains in the sandbox and deleting the sandbox will get rid of the malware without any damage.

Collapse -
reply to free programs
by davjo1 / April 23, 2008 5:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Free AV Programs

Good morning HOWIEM,
Thanks very much indeed fortaking the time to provide me with this
useful & informative advice. i will vist the sights you suggest,
the suspicious file sight sounds really great, ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU.
Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.